Olympics: National teams in 2014 without NHL players

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
What if the NHL denied NHL players access to Olympic rosters? How would your national team be built (provided that your country qualifies)? Who would you pick to build that team?

Would there be NHL players ready to play a season or two in Europe (other than Ovechkin and Malkin for Russia) so that they can play in the Olympics?

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You should just do the thread for all teams, would probably get more interest and posts, I think a lot of the European teams could field some pretty good players and teams, and I'd be interested to see those rosters.

That being said, 3 years away, its not even worth your time to start making (realistic) rosters now.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
You should just do the thread for all teams, would probably get more interest and posts, I think a lot of the European teams could field some pretty good players and teams, and I'd be interested to see those rosters.

That being said, 3 years away, its not even worth your time to start making (realistic) rosters now.

Right, oh right, changed the title to reflect that.

Each and every European team that made it to the Olympics last year had at least one player that did not play in the NHL during his Olympic season. Canada and the USA are the ones who relied solely on the NHL to supply their Olympic rosters.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Slovakia (only from Europe) - something like this :dunno::

Forwards:
Hossa Marcel - Cibák - Kolník
Sejna - Kukumberg - Surový
Radivojevič - Mikúš Juraj - Ružička
Záborský - Zagrapan - Nagy
Tománek

Defenders:
Podhradský - Baranka
Graňák - Starosta
Sersen - Mikuš Peter
Ďaloga

Goaltenders:
Lašák
Hudáček
Hamerlík

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
Canada with European major-league hockey players only:

Forwards:
Platt-Beech-Ellison
Linglet-Ritchie-McLean
Abbott-Abbott-McDonell
Bomersack-Lee-Kariya
Trotter

D-men
Caldwell-Dallman
Groulx-DuPont
???-???
Clarke

Goalies:
???
???
???

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Tough from an American perspective since I haven't seen any of these guys play since they left North America. I'll exclude any North American based players. If the NHL doesn't go to the 2014 Olympics it sure would be interesting to see how they'd construct the team and if the NHL teams would allow any of their AHL players to go. If so, you'd probably see an AHL/Euro based team supplemented by a few highly talented NCAA/CHL guys.

Forwards (x13):

Brandon Bochenski - Ryan Vesce - Jeff Hamilton
Matt Murley - Mike York - Ryan Lasch
Dwight Helminen - Adam Miller - Justin Morrison
Joe Motzko - David Lundbohm - Barry Tallackson
Steve Saviano

Defense (x7):

Deron Quint - J.D. Forrest
Ryan Gunderson - Andy Hedlund
Jeremy Dehner - Jeff Jillson
Andy Roach

Goalies (x3):

Robert Esche
Chris Holt
Troy Davenport

Last edited:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

Forwards:
Platt-Beech-Ellison
Linglet-Ritchie-McLean
Abbott-Abbott-McDonell
Bomersack-Lee-Kariya
Trotter

D-men
Caldwell-Dallman
Groulx-DuPont
???-???
Clarke

Goalies:
???
???
???

I've heard Dallman already accepted Kazakh citizenship and is going to play for Kazakhstan.

ToBBa

Mar 5, 2011
Finland
Team Finland

Rämö

Lehterä - Kontiola - Lehtonen
Armia - Lindgren - Donskoi
Pulkkinen - Granlund - Aaltonen
Komarov - Salomäki - J Lajunen

Vatanen - Jokipakka
Niemi - Määttä
Hakanpää - Ristolainen

Ville Pokka / Joonas Järvinen

Latex*

Team Finland

Rämö

Lehterä - Kontiola - Lehtonen
Armia - Lindgren - Donskoi
Pulkkinen - Granlund - Aaltonen
Komarov - Salomäki - J Lajunen

Vatanen - Jokipakka
Niemi - Määttä
Hakanpää - Ristolainen

Ville Pokka / Joonas Järvinen

Ristolainen will be like.. what, 19 yo in 2014??

He's not THAT talented.

ToBBa

Mar 5, 2011
Finland
Ristolainen will be like.. what, 19 yo in 2014??

He's not THAT talented.

And so does Määttä and Pokka. I was just thinking that if their development continues with this rate, they can be the best Finns in Europe(!). Give me some names of in-Europe-playing Finnish d-mans who have the skills to play on olympic games? If Ristolainen e.g. is even almost as good as Väänänen or Kukkonen (Or someone else old, no-developing player), I'd pick the younger one. :nod:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Advantage: Russia. KHL All-Stars will dominate.

but do you know any high-end undrafted Americans (2013/14 eligible?) that would be ready for Olympic competition?

my guess is some older US players from Europe + the usual College hockey players we see each year at the World Championships. Boo!

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010

but do you know any high-end undrafted Americans (2013/14 eligible?) that would be ready for Olympic competition?

my guess is some older US players from Europe + the usual College hockey players we see each year at the World Championships. Boo!

Even the worst US teams at the World Championships aren't made entirely of these kinds of players!

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Forwards:
Platt-Beech-Ellison
Linglet-Ritchie-McLean
Abbott-Abbott-McDonell
Bomersack-Lee-Kariya
Trotter

D-men
Caldwell-Dallman
Groulx-DuPont
???-???
Clarke

Goalies:
???
???
???

I think Dallman is going to play for Kazakhstan

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
khl wants to be respected? they should at least garner professional status, therefore not being eligable should the olympics drop nhl players ("supposedly" professional)

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Maybe...
How good is Bomersback anyway?

Didnt really watch Novokuznetsk outside the times they played Riga but he was noticeable, which isnt really saying much. Finished the season with 26 points (13+13) in 54 matches, good enough to be tied as the leading scorer on Novo with Alexander Golovin.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
khl wants to be respected? they should at least garner professional status, therefore not being eligable should the olympics drop nhl players ("supposedly" professional)
The Olympic Committee isn't refusing NHL players participation in the Olympics. :amazed:

The NHL itself is potentially pulling out of the Olympics because the league does not wish to have a mid-season break. It has nothing to do with the classification of players; all paid hockey players are professionals irrespective of whether they play NHL, KHL, AHL, ECHL, etc... and have been permitted to participate in the Olympics for a long time now.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If the NHL announces they will not participate, do not be surprised to see a few junior stars return to junior for an overage year, and to see a lot of elite AHLers (e.g a Giroux or Aucoin) sign AHL deals.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
If the NHL doesn't allow its players to play, i fully expect the Russian team to dominate the Olympics.

Yes, of course. And the roster will be something like:

Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Malkin, ...

I heard Ovechkin and Kovalchuk stated a few months ago, that they will play in Sochi and doesn't matter if NHL and their clubs allow them to play there.
If a lot of Russian stars leave NHL in mid-season 2014, I think NHL has no other choice and participates at Olympics. It would be a hypocrisy to deny NHL players access. If it was no problem in Nagano?

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
The Olympic Committee isn't refusing NHL players participation in the Olympics. :amazed:

The NHL itself is potentially pulling out of the Olympics because the league does not wish to have a mid-season break. It has nothing to do with the classification of players; all paid hockey players are professionals irrespective of whether they play NHL, KHL, AHL, ECHL, etc... and have been permitted to participate in the Olympics for a long time now.

hmmmm good point, i guess i lost sight of that:shakehead

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Which ones? Intresting fact for you, this year 20 of TOP 30 scorers in KHL were not russian.
Czechs-8
Canadians-3
Finns-2
Americans-2
Latvians-2
Slovaks-1
Swedes-1
Norwegians-1

Kepp in mind, european hockey isn't just about KHL.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Many of the Russian KHL stars are also at the end of their careers, or way past prime, even more so in 2014.

But if the Russian, Czech and Finnish olympic teams without NHL players would be considered their Team B or C, the Swedish team would be more like Team E, considering how many players that are projected to go overseas in the next couple of years to add up with the big bunch we already have. Of course for Canada and USA, the alphabet wouldn't be enough, and Slovakia would be a complete non-factor.

It wouldn't be an intriguing tournament at all, considering the World Champs field better teams and is played every year. A little more prestigous trophy but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->