World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
This is a huge exaggeration and demonstrates ignorance. Fans of the top countries always claim when these players choose to play for other countries that they weren't good enough to play for them. It's often times not true, and usually comes from a sense of entitlement that certain countries deserve players to play for them, as if it's not a personal choice for the player where they want to play.

A player like Dest has played his whole footballing career for US youth teams, and has turned down playing for Netherlands multiple times in the past. Netherlands is now trying to offer him a better deal. Maybe he changes his mind. Let these players make these decisions. We have no clue what their life dynamics are.

And you should get used to this type of thing happening for all types of National Teams. Countries like Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Cameroon, Senegal all have players born in France in their teams, and many of them are good enough to have played for France, but preferred to play for those countries. Many German born players who are good enough to play for Germany are now playing for Turkey, and that's because they prefer to play for those countries.

Mexico is holding identification camps for the best youth players with Mexican heritage in the United States. This is the way the international game is. And I have no issue with it. Let these players play where they want, if they are eligible. It's their life, not ours.

So the only thing you have is that he played a few matches for the USA youth. Again, the boy grew up in the Netherlands, speaks Dutch, shits Dutch, does everything Dutch, do you get that? Or you still on about the fact he dressed up what? 13 times a USA sweater in his youth? The USA is the one fishing in our pond here, and again, at the end he is not that exciting, just a right back.

And trust me, there is no deal, it is to play for a real team or a secondary team. USA with all respect is non relevant, the Dutch team is.

Reactions: Ajacied

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So the only thing you have is that he played a few matches for the USA youth. Again, the boy grew up in the Netherlands, speaks Dutch, ****s Dutch, does everything Dutch, do you get that? Or you still on about the fact he dressed up what? 13 times a USA sweater in his youth? The USA is the one fishing in our pond here, and again, at the end he is not that exciting, just a right back.

And trust me, there is no deal, it is to play for a real team or a secondary team. USA with all respect is non relevant, the Dutch team is.
I dunno, they two sides have had similar results recently. For example, neither made Euro 2016

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Hahahahahaha
I dunno, they two sides have had similar results recently. For example, neither made Euro 2016

Hahahahahaha that is called a rebuild, hockey fans should no that. But if you think for a second that USA team is comparable to any of the top countries you are out of your mind lol.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha that is called a rebuild, hockey fans should no that. But if you think for a second that USA team is comparable to any of the top countries you are out of your mind lol. We play you 10 times we beat you 9 and 1 tie if you are lucky. If we lose it is a big disgrace over here, simply because USA suck.
So this would be a bad time to mention that the last time we played y'all, we won?

And we just beat you in the Women's World Cup?

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
So this would be a bad time to mention that the last time we played y'all, we won?

And we just beat you in the Women's World Cup?
Yup. And women’s do not count over here. They suck like the USA team

the only way you beat us is because we do not take you seriously. So it is called here a big disgrace. So if you beat us it is because we beat ourself.

you are good at hockey let’s stick to that.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Then I won't mention it.

Your women just made it to the Women's World Cup final and had great fan support in doing so

they where the laughing stock over here. Their “fans” where mainly family and children. Oh and feminists ;)

they cannot even pass a ball.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
they where the laughing stock over here. Their “fans” where mainly family and children. Oh and feminists ;)

they cannot even pass a ball.

Americans have no idea how low women football is viewed in Europe. It's definitely not something to brag about when discussing one nation's football talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So the only thing you have is that he played a few matches for the USA youth.

Don't be disingenuous. He's played probably 30+ matches for the USA. I don't know where @Ajacied got the number that he cited, but it's not correct. Claiming its a few is disingenuous and you know it. Transfermarkt claims he's played 17 matches for the USA. I also went back and counted an additional 6 camps he's been in that transfermarkt didn't document. Plus, there are always some exhibition games that aren't counted. US Soccer Federations is notorious for doing a bad job at documenting the camps and games of the youth teams.

Again, the boy grew up in the Netherlands, speaks Dutch, ****s Dutch, does everything Dutch, do you get that? Or you still on about the fact he dressed up what? 13 times a USA sweater in his youth? The USA is the one fishing in our pond here, and again, at the end he is not that exciting, just a right back.

You seem awfully sure about the kid. Do you know him or you are just going to arrogantly suggest he's only Dutch?

One thing I'd agree with you is that there's no reason for a big argument between fans about which team he plays for. It's his decision to make, and it's not going to make or break the future of either National Team. I have no issue if he chooses to play for the Netherlands.

This is exactly what I mean. You are so arrogant about this, and are coming from the position that the only consideration for a player is how good the teams are. Thats seldom the case. Also, your National Team didn't qualify for the past Euros and past World Cup. You are in no position to be calling yourself a real National Team and relevant and other National Teams a secondary team and not relevant.

Besides, you are simply wrong. The player has been contacted by the KNVB multiple times in the last three years, and he has rejected the call ups. I've been told that by a good source. If he's considering the Netherlands now, it's for a better deal. Do you think he had an epiphany or maybe now that Koeman is contacting him and probably either telling him he'd be on the Euros roster or has a good chance to be on it that he's considering his options?

This is how these situations always work. The last high profile professional player the USA lost to another country, Jonathan Gonzalez, was told by the Mexican National Team head coach that he'd have a good chance to make their 2018 World Cup team. You can't seriously think after Dest's rejected the Netherlands multiple times at youth level, that the senior team head coach is meeting with him and telling him something like he'd have to work for a place within the system, and where his play dictates he'd play is where he'd play. It doesn't even necessarily have to be true. The player I mentioned above, Jonathan Gonzalez, was lied to by the Mexican National Team coach. He was never given a real chance to make their roster. Koeman would be stupid not to offer Dest a good deal.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Americans have no idea how low women football is viewed in Europe. It's definitely not something to brag about when discussing one nation's football talent.
I mean, I get it, it was just a throw in on top of neither men's team making the last World Cup and America having won the only match between the two sides this decade. If friendly banter can't be had, we're all losing

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All this over a player that won't really impact the success of either nation.
I mean realistically this came from some misguided concept that the US developed a player that they didn’t and that someone is trying to ‘poach’ their talent because they’re becoming a successful footballing nation.

I think the entire thing is obtuse.

Dest also was not refusing the Netherlands in favour of the US lol the latest and greatest.

Anyway as I’ve said before and as most people feel if Dest becomes good enough and the KNVB promise him a chance to start for the senior team he will choose them if not he will probably go where he has the easier path. No decent player with high aspirations is picking the US over the Netherlands to play for or in.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean realistically this came from some misguided concept that the US developed a player that they didn’t and that someone is trying to ‘poach’ their talent because they’re becoming a successful footballing nation.

I think the entire thing is obtuse.

Dest also was not refusing the Netherlands in favour of the US lol the latest and greatest.

Anyway as I’ve said before and as most people feel if Dest becomes good enough and the KNVB promise him a chance to start for the senior team he will choose them if not he will probably go where he has the easier path. No decent player with high aspirations is picking the US over the Netherlands to play for or in.
I agree too. The US system has played a very small role in Dest's development.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I feel like I'm one of the few that doesnt begrudge a dual national for choosing one team over mine. Guess that comes with being a usa and ireland fan. Usually the player has a strong allegiance to both and chooses for his best interest....except for judaseppe rossi. Was annoying seeing a born and raised american talk about how jersey he was and play for another country. Still wished it worked out better for him with the injuries tho.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

If you think you're right, PM me your source and then I'll PM you mine.

He absolutely has rejected multiple call ups from the Netherlands in the past. If you don't want to believe me, its your issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like I'm one of the few that doesnt begrudge a dual national for choosing one team over mine. Guess that comes with being a usa and ireland fan. Usually the player has a strong allegiance to both and chooses for his best interest....except for judaseppe rossi. Was annoying seeing a born and raised american talk about how jersey he was and play for another country. Still wished it worked out better for him with the injuries tho.
I mean I don't think most of the Netherlands fans care either way. I personally feel that you should play for the country where you were effectively raised and developed your game if you are good enough, but beyond that if you want to play for another country and have an eligibility go ahead. I'm not really a fan of teams 'poaching' other countries' players personally but I think it's pretty rare that a truly great player opts to play outside of their country of education/origin.
If you think you're right, PM me your source and then I'll PM you mine.

He absolutely has rejected multiple call ups from the Netherlands in the past. If you don't want to believe me, its your issue.
No, he hasn't. He said so himself and so have the KNVB. I'm not really going to debate this anymore; claim him all you want I really don't care. Believe in the delusion that the Netherlands would try and poach an american developed player and that 'this is what happens when the US gets great at soccer" (obviously, the top nations are salivating at the development and poaching opportunities going on there). He can play with Pulisic and they'll do great things together.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Use google translate.
https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/898688/dest-werd-genegeerd-door-oranje-ik-dacht-h-dit-is-k-mijn-nationaliteit-.html

Interview with Dest, published yesterday, before 2016 he did not even realised he also had a USA passport, the USA selected him in 2016 (so much for false stories about him being developed in any way by USA football.) unless you think these 3 years are the reason he is the player he is today and the famous Ajax school is not the reason. He was never confronted by Orange and there for he played for the USA youth. (So much for the story of him declining Orange). He says he made no decision yet, only because the Dutch coach Ronald Koeman just meet him and told him there is a future for him with Orange. In Orange the focus is more on individual play. He likes the team play and spirit of the USA team and he says the most beautiful passport in the world is the USA one. As a kid he only dreamt to play for Ajax and Orange. This pretty much sums it up.

The Dutch coach on Dest:
Koeman: 'Ik heb hem aangegeven dat ik toekomst voor hem zie bij Oranje'

Pavel Buchnevich, your sources? Seems not really legit.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
These days almost every time in those situations the player if good enough will choose to play for the bigger and better National Team...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Use google translate.
https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/898688/dest-werd-genegeerd-door-oranje-ik-dacht-h-dit-is-k-mijn-nationaliteit-.html

Interview with Dest, published yesterday, before 2016 he did not even realised he also had a USA passport, the USA selected him in 2016 (so much for false stories about him being developed in any way by USA football.) unless you think these 3 years are the reason he is the player he is today and the famous Ajax school is not the reason. He was never confronted by Orange and there for he played for the USA youth. (So much for the story of him declining Orange). He says he made no decision yet, only because the Dutch coach Ronald Koeman just meet him and told him there is a future for him with Orange. In Orange the focus is more on individual play. He likes the team play and spirit of the USA team and he says the most beautiful passport in the world is the USA one. As a kid he only dreamt to play for Ajax and Orange. This pretty much sums it up.

The Dutch coach on Dest:
Koeman: 'Ik heb hem aangegeven dat ik toekomst voor hem zie bij Oranje'

This is the interview in English, btw:

https://english.ajax.nl/streams/ajax-now/on-the-fence-dest-mendez-.htm

Sergiño: “When though of football when I was younger, it was always Ajax or the Dutch team. Never the U.S. But I haven’t been approached by the Dutch team.”
A bit of resentment comes through in Segiño’s words. Is this a factor in his decision? ‘Maybe’, he mumbles.

Sergiño: “My father is from Brooklyn, but we spoke Dutch at home. Actually, until a few years ago, my English was very poor. I wasn’t thinking of my American roots at all, until I went to play in an American youth team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ajax have not released Martinez to the u23 squad I don’t blame them it’s a waste at this point. Hopefully that pushes Argentina to stop f***ing around and call him up to the senior squad. He should be an out an out starter.

Reactions: Ajacied

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

So I’ll ask again, like I said to @YNWA14. If you are saying I’m wrong, send me a PM, provide your info and source. I’ll do the same, and we can sort this out. If you think you are just going to try to play “internet debate winner” here for HF credibility and aren’t going to produce anything of substance after you throw out accusations against me, there’s no chance I’m giving up what my source is, and I’m certainly not going to post it publicly on here.

And of course, we all know you’ll clam up or throw out more excuses. You are here to arrogantly belittle the USA. You’ve made as much clear, as did @YNWA14 who clammed up when I asked him to produce his basis for saying I’m wrong.

If you want to refuse to believe something that’s no big secret, that’s your issue. I thought I was being nice to inform you of what the truth is. I’m under no obligation to tell you what I’ve heard. But it’s your issue if you want to refuse to believe it because you are too arrogant to believe someone would reject your youth teams for the US teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And just to reiterate

1. I think he’ll choose Netherlands
2. I don’t doubt he prefers after a meeting with Koeman to play for Netherlands
3. I don’t doubt that he preferred to play for Netherlands growing up
4. He admitted that he now feels American after not feeling that American growing up. I suspected as much based on what I had heard, but he’s certainly allowed to grow allegiance towards one of his nationalities in his teenage years. It doesn’t make him unpatriotic.
5. I have no issue with him choosing either country. It’s his decision. His decision won’t make or break the NT’s of either country.

There’s nothing more that needs to be said about that on my part. We’ll see what he decided.

The other stuff is a different discussion. I’m not committing to that discussion being over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad