World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Huh? Pretty much all those players were developed in England. Which is exactly where all those Ireland players were developed, too. This isn't about 'blood', this is about how weak the football structure and culture in Ireland is.

No that’s not what this is about. What you wrote was

“Can't blame the kid. Ireland would be a complete non-entity without English-born players who may or may not have had an Irish granny. Almost all of whom would have chosen England if they had been deemed good enough if we're honest.”

This is simply not true. The very best players in Irish history (Johnny Giles, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Johnny Carey, Packie Bonner, Shay Given, Liam Brady) are all Irish born and raised in Ireland. Your suggesting that Ireland would be completely a “non-entity without English-born players who may or may not have an Irish granny” is flat out wrong and an insult. The one player who deserves to be in that list as one of the greatest Irish players of all time is Paul McGrath. Born in England to an Irish mother and a Nigerian father. Reasoning being the Mother of McGrath was terrified of having a child out of wedlock.cGrath himself was brought up in Dublin orphanages and is as Irish as anyone.

Further more to even suggest they “may not” have an Irish granny is just disgusting on your part . You think the FAI just goes around calling anyone who sounds or looks Irish?

if a player has a grandparent from a country and qualifies for a passport from that country on account of meeting the criteria for its nationality, they'll be eligible to play for that country's association, in satisfaction of article 7c.

Anyone born outside of Ireland to a parent(s) from either part of Ireland is automatically an Irish national from birth and therefore entitled to be selected by the FAI.

However, afaik someone born outside Ireland who relies on an Irish-born grandparent(s) is certainly automatically entitled to Irish nationality, but may not actually be an Irish national until the point at which he/she is entered onto the Register of Foreign Births.

Should that be so, then FIFA may consider this person to be "acquiring a new nationality" (i.e. other than that the country of birth eg Australia, UK etc). And FIFA's rules are clear that for anyone acquiring a new nationality, the grandparent would have to have been born on the territory of the new Association which the grandchild wishes to represent.

I’ve read some english newspapers regarding Declan Rice and some comments from the regular people there and the level of ANTI IRISH is remarkable in football by the english. The hating and the idea that its been more than 35 years that they defeated Eire Is haunting them....its like a VICTORY for the 3 lions.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Reactions: koyvoo

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Shevchenko is a savage.

He’s a known Ukrainian nationalist and told Yaroslav Rakitskiy to F Off after signing for Zenit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Zouma and Kurzawa back to the NT.
Kurzawa is surprising because he's just starting to get some minutes after his injury. No Mendys (Ferland might be injured yesterday?).
Zouma over Laporte is... weird.

Sissoko called up... what can I say... DD has had a hard on for him for years. Given our depth in midfield it's incredible he even gets considered (I know he's having a good season).

Up front, Martial, Coman and Thauvin called up... Pfff....

Reactions: Elliman

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not me. We have so many better options than Martial...

And Griezmann alone at CF is a no. Of course we'll be treated with Giroud while Lacazette watches on TV.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It sort of makes sense, no?

No player is breaking Griezmann-Mbappe unless you're Ronaldo or Messi. They wanted a plodding striker that is good in the air since they usually fit NTs more, that is not Laca's game.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgium will be without Kompany, Vermaelen, De Bruyne and Witsel (all injured) and Fellaini (retired) against Russia and Cyprus. No real surprises, although both Leandro Trossard (Genk) and defender Brandon Mechele (Club Brugge) can make their debut. Most people expected 19 year old defender Zinho Vanheusden (Standard Liege, on loan from Inter) to be included, he's been fantastic this season. But looks like he'll have to wait a bit longer.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Belgium will be without Kompany, Vermaelen, De Bruyne and Witsel (all injured) and Fellaini (retired) against Russia and Cyprus.

Should still get 6 points really. Not only is this Belgian generation stupidly talented, they're also very deep - especially for such a small nation.

We (Croatia) only have covers in the midfield (Kovacic, Badelj, Rog, Vlasic, etc.) but almost everywhere else we're 1-man deep.
In fact, we only have one fullback for both sides and he's out til next season (Vrsaljko). :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
All modern NTs have one scrub striker only good for headers for the most part.
Really?
Which is Brazil's?
Giroud brings more than headers, but we have players who are so much better. DD is stubborn as shit though.
He claimed Lenglet is worthy but doesn't have international experience. Well if he means NT, DUH, he won't get some until you call him up, and if he means european competitions, he has more than Zouma.
Laporte is even worse.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Walking loser and hamstring injury ADM ... is out for the friendlies after injuring himself. So, yeah great news for NT. Now Scolani has no choice but to choose some one who's fresh.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Im hoping for something like this

Dybala-Messi

Lanzini-Lo Celso-RDP

Paredes

Tag-Pez-Kan-Saravia

Although it really should be

Dybala-Martinez
Messi
Lo Celso-Paredes
Ascacibar
Tag-Pez-Kan-Saravia

YUM that actually turned out better than I thought when I was putting in the names. Why, are all coaches dumb?

I really think this lineup is all around solid. You add in players that actually should be there like Otamendi/Kun/Palacios and we finally have team that can compete on all fronts.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Don't get me wrong, I love Giroud and I think he had a terrific WC - he's near the top tier of CFs for link-up play, even if he doesn't score as much, and so works great with Griezmann and Mbappe - but there are definitely better options up top for France. I agree with Evilo though, Griezmann should be playing off the shoulder of someone rather than on his own - he's more of an overlapping 10 than he is a pure 9.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I hope Milic isn't your first LB option, because he is truly terrible. Ask any Anderlecht fan.

He played at Wembley, but he's LB #4 (in a very ordinary field).
Other than in midfield, our depth is not our strength.

Strinic (AC Milan) recovering from a heart condition.
Pivaric (Dinamo Kyiv) injured long-term.
Barisic (Glasgow Rangers) will start games now, was out injured vs England at Wembley.
Milic - I honestly forgot about that guy until he showed up to play LB at Wembley, and yes, he wasn't good.

LB has been out weakest position ever since Robert Jarni retired 17 years ago.
We've had tier 2 players there ever since (or worse). Pranjic was possibly the best of the bunch (topped out playing 3 seasons for Bayern Münich as a squad player), but he was far from great.

Croatia's likely starting 11 for the EURO Q opener tonight:

Kalinic
Brekalo - Vida - Caleta-Car - Barisic
Modric - Kovacic - Rakitic
Kramaric - Petkovic - Perisic

Brozovic and Rebic are being rested for the next game on Sunday.
Brekalo (Wolfsburg young winger) is a experiment at RB, no idea how that'll pan out. (Vrsaljko is out for this season)
Caleta-Car is a now getting games at Marseille, started the last 7 games I think, so that's good - though Lord Lovren should be good for Sunday's game (suspended for this one).
Petkovic is a 24-year old striker from Dinamo Zagreb, nothing spectacular, but could develop into a decent option for some mid-table club in Germany or something. Might be a decent backup, but we're in trouble if he's our starting striker.
(usually the front 3 is Rebic-Kramaric-Perisic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad