World Cup: National Team threads #2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Guerreiro always gets injured on international duty. This time he got injured before international duty. The supposed positive was that he couldn’t get injured on international duty this time around if he’s already injured. Portugal medical staff wants to evaluate him now. I’m sure this will end well.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It ended well, Guerreiro is still with the team and available for much more important games. :thumbu:

@Evilo I assume you watch Lille play, is Fonte still a capable player? He will likely slot in for Pepe this week.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He totally is. He's a poor man's Maguire. And the word poor is a bit too heavy. He's not very mobile but controls the aerial battles in the area on both sides. Natural leader too. He's tough on the man and rarely gets beaten one on one when speed isn't in play.

Reactions: Moncherry

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I know what he brings to the table, just wanted to know if he was still playing well enough. Portugal's CB depth is still thin.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I know what he brings to the table, just wanted to know if he was still playing well enough. Portugal's CB depth is still thin.
Yes he does, to my surprise. But then again, explosiveness isn't his game, so he's old but he can still read the play very well.

Reactions: Moncherry

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Ugh......

I love Belmadi but I’m not super happy about this list

We’re already qualified for AFCON so this was the perfect time to call up some promising young players from the Algerian league like Amoura or Zorgane......

Also, Ferhat deserves a call up

And to make things worse, Ghezzal is back

Ghezzal has been the best player in the Turkish league this season

Reactions: Power Man

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Gambia and Comoros qualify for their first ever AFCON; for what it matters both teams outside the top 100 in the FIFA Rankings. Comoros is the bigger surprise (Gambia's group was tougher but they have some decent individuals and with the expanded field it was bound to happen I guess). Comoros is essentially the Andorra/San Marino/Gibraltar of African football, they have never won a World Cup qualifying match and in AFCON qualifying they usually finished bottom. Looking at their squad on wiki its mostly French born and French lower league players

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He totally is. He's a poor man's Maguire. And the word poor is a bit too heavy. He's not very mobile but controls the aerial battles in the area on both sides. Natural leader too. He's tough on the man and rarely gets beaten one on one when speed isn't in play.
Nat Phillips ?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Squads are gonna be 26 players, rather than 23 for the Euros.
Awesome news, means a lot of quality players won't be left off for France, Portugal, Germany, Spain etc

And some players will be fresher with more rotation, and not run into the ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad