Guys that would be locks IMO but aren't part of the team for various reasons:

R. von Arx, Josi, Lötscher, Forster, Jenni

Hiller
Genoni
(Stephan)

Streit-Sbisa
Bezina-Diaz
Hirschi-Ramholt
Weber (after last years argument with Simpson, he'll probably make the team)

replacements: Grossmann, Loeffel, Vauclair, Seger, Furrer

Brunner-:eek::eek::eek::eek:i-Sprunger
S.Baertschi-M.Pluess-Ruethemann
Niederreiter-Romy-Ambühl
A.Berger-Walker- Si. Moser
Rubin (or when healthy P. Savary)

replacements: hard to make a list... too many guys on similar level

While I think Goal and D-core are pretty much set for Sochii.
But I want Simpson to give some guys a try on Offense at the next 2 WC...

A. Berger could develop into a very good role player,
Bärtschi, Nino and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i should be locks comes Sochii
Walker: strong, big, surprisingly good skater, good hands and a bomb of a shot
(I'm eager to see, of all his skills, what he could translate to the next level...)

thoughts?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sven Bärtschi will probably be unavailable given that his junior team qualified for the playoffs, and I think he could join the Flames or their AHL affiliate if eliminated (I think eligibility rules are different for the playoffs, though I'm not 100% sure about this).

Regarding your team, on defense I'm not a fan of Bezina but I think Simpson will take him, but on the other hand I'd be surprised if Ramholt makes the team ahead of the more experienced Vauclair and Furrer, or even Grossman, who Simpson seems to trust more. I also think Von Gunten and Blum would be considered ahead of Seger and Loeffel, as well as Du Bois. And I don't think Weber is a lock after being unable to keep his early season form.

On offense, Jeannin's injury opens some doors at center, but one of the offensive center role could be for Ambühl, who had success playing that position on Brunner's line, or Bykov who had a very solid season (assuming Plüss is a lock). For the bottom six, Romy is a lock, but Trachsler and Savary are probably ahead of Walker, who I think is not national team caliber, even though I'll take him on my (club) team anyday. On the wings, I don't know about Niederreiter, his skill level may be good, but enough to compensate his lack of familiarity with the team? A. Berger doesn't stand a chance, he's neither skilled nor has any national team experience, can't see him thrown in a WC tournament. The offensive roles could go to guys like Wick or Monnet, and Stancescu or Bieber will certainly get consieration as depth players. Then you have some wild cards such as P. Berger or Christen.

And I disagree about Jenni being a lock, unless we're talking about 1998 Jenni, and in this case I'd certainly give a look to Crameri and Antisin ;)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Sven Bartschi definitely seems the player that will not be coming : he has 1 teams contender for the WHL / CHL cup, then 2 secondary teams ready to take him on board in case of elimination ....
among all swiss players, we can safely say that he is the least likely to be in the team.

Niederreiter ... I may not be the best to judge ... but i saw nothing spectacular from him. I watched a couple of games, specially to see what his output was ... and i saw little. Of course line mates ... of course ice time (although with less ice time ... sven ... but lets stop their ...) all in all, little to convince me. Yet he has to convince others ... good for him ;-) I would start integrating him next year.

Martin Gerber ? why not ? he didn't have a bad season ... he remains, in spite of his age, a world class player. And was often a serious contributor to the wins in Vaxjo.

Von Gunten ... should definitely be considered.
I also like Helbling ... as sherif !

Liniger ? Bykov ? Pascal Berger ?
While i like Alain Berger ... he is too young. Tall bodies take time to develop muscles proportionally to their size.

In light of the JWC, where too many styles of players where mixed together, i am worried that too many north american players, while achieving the highest level of talent available, may not result into the best team. Hopefully Simpson does a better job than Celio in putting together leader minded players. (Simpson succeeded well with Zurich Lions and with a Swiss team that didn't count NA players !! ... therefore he didn't face the difficulty to melange differently styled players.)
This is a new situation for Switzerland .... we never had so many players abroad ... the vast majority were LNA players with the LNA style. I take the year of Vancouver olympics as reference. That year we should have had a medal in the WC. And it was exclusively with LNA players.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
ey guys thx for the replies!

on D:

forgot about von Gunten

and I wouldn't put Weber in (but as I've written I think Simpson will)

this team needs some big players on D... beside Sbisa, Bezina is still the best option IMO (before a Chiesa or Helbling, Furrer or Ramholt)

Ramholt is definitely no lock, but I could see it

Grossmann is definitely an option, similar player to Hirschi (not big, but smart, good offense, with surprisingly good physical play and a mean streak)

Dubois had a bad season as well as Blindenbacher.
For guys like Seger and Vauclair time is slowly running out IMO...

on Offense:

didn't know Baertschi would be available for the Flames.

Niederreiter IMO belongs to the group of forwards, that aren't the most flashy skilled ones with great skating, but are smart players with good shots and very good scoring instincts, with at least solid physical abilities. (Bürgler, Christen, Stancescu, Monnet) all of this players are on similar level IMO. 1 or 2 of them should make the team. If Simpson takes STancescu before Nino, I can live with that very well.

Trachsler definitely would be the less risky option over Walker. But If Walker could handle the speed of the game in intern. hockey, he could add more as well IMO. Savary when healthy would be my 13th forward.

Wick had a very bad year. no speed after his injury, no confidence. I would skip him.

A.Berger: it's definitely a very risky call as well. to be honest, I haven't seen a lot of him this year. But I won't judge a player by his performance in an AHL-4th Line. You remember Ambühl 2 years ago?
Before that he was already one of the physicaly strongest swiss forwards, who's a proven fighter, with good play deep in oppositions zone, and a nice touch around the net.
Hes skating could cause problems on internat. level, I agree, and he won't help on BoxPlay. But he could be a physical presence on the 4th Line, and be an option in the crease on PP.

about Jenni: of course it was a little joke, but there were quite a few games this year where he still was Kloten's best forward. still solid speed and exceptionel skating technique, protects the puck better than any other swiss forward, and 20 years of experience. he'd still fit in good into the 4th line...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As Diaz is injured and also without contract I guess he won't be available.

Von Gunten is a lock, I also like Furrer and the way he's playing in the playoffs.

There is no way Simpson is skipping Wick, even if he had a difficult year, he's still one of the most skilled forwards in Switzerland and we don't have that many skilled forwards. :)

P.Bärtschi is very strong in the playoffs, also Pascal Berger is worth a mention. I'm very keen to see who is on Simpsons list. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yes, be careful before rejecting proven performers. Many of the veterans who had a substandard season are currently proving their worth in the playoffs (see Rüthemann, Monnet, Vauclair, Blindenbacher...). Simpson knows this, and I'm sure it would take a lot for him to considerer not taking a player such as Wick.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't think they've released any roster yet, which is surprising because training camp usually starts before the end of the playoffs.

Winti26

Feb 23, 2012
Switzerland
Here is the roster for the trainingcamp in Arosa and Rapperswill and the friendly game against finland.This roster is without the playoff finalists and the player(s) from ambri(I know there aren't many player for the nationalteam maybe Pestoni or Walker)

G.(3): Berra Reto (EHC Biel), Genoni Leonardo (HC Davos), Gerber Martin (Växjö Lakers/SWE).

D. (8): Bezina Goran (Genève-Servette HC), Chiesa Alessandro (EV Zug), Du Bois Félicien (Kloten Flyers), Grossmann Robin (HC Davos), Kukan Dean (Lulea/SWE), Loeffel Romain (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Vauclair Julien (HC Lugano), Von Gunten Patrick (Frölunda Indians/SWE),

F. (15): Bieber Matthias (Kloten Flyers), Brunner Damien (EV Zug), Bykov Andrei (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Hollenstein Denis (Kloten Flyers), Liniger Michael (Kloten Flyers), Moser Simon (SCL Tigers), Plüss Benjamin (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Romy Kevin (HC Lugano), Rubin Daniel (Genève-Servette HC), Sciaroni Gregory (HC Davos), Simek Juraj (Genève-Servette HC), Sprunger Julien (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Suri Reto (Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Trachsler Morris (Genève-Servette HC), Wick Roman (Kloten Flyers)

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
will be interesting how the swiss players will do. The finns will come with a "no name" roster. with a few exceptions like Finnish baby jesus , mikke granlund, pyörälä, pihlström.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Here is the roster for the trainingcamp in Arosa and Rapperswill and the friendly game against finland.This roster is without the playoff finalists and the player(s) from ambri(I know there aren't many player for the nationalteam maybe Pestoni or Walker)

G.(3): Berra Reto (EHC Biel), Genoni Leonardo (HC Davos), Gerber Martin (Växjö Lakers/SWE).

D. (8): Bezina Goran (Genève-Servette HC), Chiesa Alessandro (EV Zug), Du Bois Félicien (Kloten Flyers), Grossmann Robin (HC Davos), Kukan Dean (Lulea/SWE), Loeffel Romain (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Vauclair Julien (HC Lugano), Von Gunten Patrick (Frölunda Indians/SWE),

F. (15): Bieber Matthias (Kloten Flyers), Brunner Damien (EV Zug), Bykov Andrei (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Hollenstein Denis (Kloten Flyers), Liniger Michael (Kloten Flyers), Moser Simon (SCL Tigers), Plüss Benjamin (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Romy Kevin (HC Lugano), Rubin Daniel (Genève-Servette HC), Sciaroni Gregory (HC Davos), Simek Juraj (Genève-Servette HC), Sprunger Julien (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Suri Reto (Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Trachsler Morris (Genève-Servette HC), Wick Roman (Kloten Flyers)

Some interesting choices there. No Stephan (of course there were four goalies for three spots) and no Stancescu, Christen, Schnyder or Bürgler (not surprised by Hirschi and Blum, I guess they prefer to take care of their injuries). On the other hand, I didn't expect to see Plüss, Sciaroni and Hollenstein here, and Kukan really came out of nowhere.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Very interested to see Kukan and how he's doing. He was very high on scout reports 3 years ago, dropped a lot but made good progress this year in Sweden.

According to blick.ch probably only Sbisa and Nino will join the team from NA. Weber and Diaz are injured (and Diaz without contract and without insurance), Streit doesn't get permission from the Islanders (according to blick.ch, I'm not sure about that) and Josi is in the playoffs. Hiller played 70 games, is probably quite tired. We'll see, goalies shouldn't be a problem, Berra, Genoni and Gerber is a strong trio.

Loeffel could be a dark-horse, very interesting player.

I'm sure Simpson wants to try out Plüss-Bykov-Sprunger. I'd like to see a Brunner-Romy-Wick combo.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Indeed, it's quiet sure Diaz and Weber won't be there. Let's see about Hiller and Streit. I see no reason whatsoever the Isles don't let Streit go to the WM.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Josi is back. I wonder if Simpson may consider keeping an open spot for him in case Nashville is out in the first round?

Partagas

Dec 20, 2011
Some interesting choices there. No Stephan (of course there were four goalies for three spots) and no Stancescu, Christen, Schnyder or Bürgler (not surprised by Hirschi and Blum, I guess they prefer to take care of their injuries). On the other hand, I didn't expect to see Plüss, Sciaroni and Hollenstein here, and Kukan really came out of nowhere.

Hy guys , i am new on this forum.
I really don't understand any choice :
1) Hollenstein injured the most time and nothing showed !!! and not Stancescu one of the few very good in Kloten this year!
2) Schnyder , partner of Brunner , not in the team !
3) Sciaroni , despite from Ticino as myself , in the team and not Bürgler !

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Hy guys , i am new on this forum.
I really don't understand any choice :
1) Hollenstein injured the most time and nothing showed !!! and not Stancescu one of the few very good in Kloten this year!
2) Schnyder , partner of Brunner , not in the team !
3) Sciaroni , despite from Ticino as myself , in the team and not Bürgler !

1) I was surprised too, that they nominated him. But he's a guy with a bright future. and he didn't look bad when he returned to Kloten's starting line-up. he definitely got the skating abilities for international hockey. but his chances to make the team are very slim, I guess.

2)while his skating is absolute world-class, he hasn't got any other skills that would stand out on international level. combine that with his dwarf-like size... and he goes down the depth charts. he still could've gotten a call though. he's a good player anyway

3)before this season I would've said the same. but 1) they would have totally different roles in the swiss team and 2) have you seen this years Spengler Cup?..
when the game-speed got up, Sciaroni was one of the best Players for the HCD, strong on skates, strong forechecking, crashing the net hard, smart decision-making.
While Buergler is one of the smartest swiss players when it comes to finishing plays, or positioning himself for scoring-chances, he was the worst regular HCD forward at the Spengler Cup IMO, always a step behind mentally or skatingwise. This came as a total surprise to me, but it could hinder him having a good internat. Career

Scaroni IMO belongs to the category of swiss players that could bring more than just scoring to the swiss Team. (like e.g. Deruns, Ambühl, maybe D.Wieser, A. Berger... or, if you remember, like a young Th. Ziegler)

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Josi is back. I wonder if Simpson may consider keeping an open spot for him in case Nashville is out in the first round?

With the addition of Radulov, Nashville may just added the missing piece for a long play-off run... but the teams in the West are really on similar level, so maybe you're right.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Loeffel could be a dark-horse, very interesting player.

He'll be a lock pretty soon I guess. Was the best player for FG in the POs. Very smart, good shot and hands.

An other player from Gotteron, who made a huge step forward this year, was A. Hasani. If he continues like that he could be an option too in the future.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Switzerland beats Finland in the first game with 3-0. Goals by Romy, Liniger and Brunner. Brunner and Romy with one goal and one assist each. Shutout by Berra.

Switzerland played with:
Berra
Du Bois - Bezina
Grossmann - Von Gunten
Loeffel - Vauclair
Chiesa - Kukan

Brunner - Romy - S.Moser
Sciaroni - Trachsler - Simek
Wick - Liniger - Hollenstein
Rubin - Bieber - Suri

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Switzerland beats Finland in the first game with 3-0. Goals by Romy, Liniger and Brunner. Brunner and Romy with one goal and one assist each. Shutout by Berra.

Switzerland played with:
Berra
Du Bois - Bezina
Grossmann - Von Gunten
Loeffel - Vauclair
Chiesa - Kukan

Brunner - Romy - S.Moser
Rubin - Bieber - Suri

Great stuff !

since you announced early this result, probably you saw the game ?
how was it ?

cheers

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Switzerland played with:
Berra
Du Bois - Bezina
Grossmann - Von Gunten
Loeffel - Vauclair
Chiesa - Kukan

Brunner - Romy - S.Moser
Rubin - Bieber - Suri

That's an interesting lineup, with all four lines being a good mix of offense and defense. I wonder if Romy will be used in an offensive role next month? Or maybe he was just the most suited center for Brunner's line, but will take a back seat once the Bern and ZSC players join.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Nope, was not there, just saw the goals on television.

Romy had a great season and I think he could fit very well as a center of an offensive line.

Decision on goalies will be hard for Simpson, Genoni, Berra and Gerber all are on an equal level I think, each one could lead the team into the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad