Streit - Sbisa
Weber - Diaz
Josi - Blindenbacher
Gunten

Hiller
Gerber

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No chance ... too young ... in the training camp with the Flames it was obvious that he needed much more development. and that was in september of this year !

I wouldn't say that. Depends a lot on who's available or injured.

In my opinion if he's in a line with good teammates and gets a good chemistry it would be a good possibility.

But also depends on how far Portland goes and normally they are getting far in the playoffs.

Our defense could look great at the WC, with Anaheim and the Islanders surley out of the playoff-race and the Habs also not looking like a playoff-team this year.

Imagine a team with Streit, Weber, Sbisa and Diaz. Add Von Gunten and we can still hope for Josi. Wow.

About goalies, I have the strong feeling that we may see Berra in NA sooner or later. He was a great prospect once, then struggled but is playing very strong this year.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I wouldn't say that. Depends a lot on who's available or injured.

In my opinion if he's in a line with good teammates and gets a good chemistry it would be a good possibility.

But also depends on how far Portland goes and normally they are getting far in the playoffs.

Our defense could look great at the WC, with Anaheim and the Islanders surley out of the playoff-race and the Habs also not looking like a playoff-team this year.

Imagine a team with Streit, Weber, Sbisa and Diaz. Add Von Gunten and we can still hope for Josi. Wow.

About goalies, I have the strong feeling that we may see Berra in NA sooner or later. He was a great prospect once, then struggled but is playing very strong this year.

agree with a lot in here, Berra is looking very promising

but there's still a bunch of players from Europe I'd take over Weber (but pbly not Simpson after last year disscussions) :
Bezina (though prone to stupid mistakes once in a while)
Forster (who's the best swiss D in Europe IMO, but he probably won't be there)
von Gunten (for obvious reasons)
Hirschi (smart, mean streak, solid offensive output)
and maybe even Grossmann (fast, gritty, smart) or Ramholt

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Von Gunten will be there, no question. Forster doesn't want to come.

I still think Weber is underrated. He has played quite some NHL-games now, Bezina didn't and there is obiously a reason for it. In my opinion he is one of the best 6 defenders of Switzerland.

croAVSfan*

Von Gunten will be there, no question. Forster doesn't want to come.

I still think Weber is underrated. He has played quite some NHL-games now, Bezina didn't and there is obiously a reason for it. In my opinion he is one of the best 6 defenders of Switzerland.

why?

croAVSfan*

He said he has a family and he dont want to go away during 1 month for worldchampionship.

Oh, didnt know that all other players are in celibacy...:sarcasm::D

however...I would really like to see Swiss making semis or taking medal this year at WC.

They are my favourite team (after my country of course):)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So, it's nearly February and Simpson is surely beginning to think about who should be on his team.

If we look to NA:
Surely available will be (if not injured): Nino and Streit
Perhaps available will be (if not injured): Weber, Diaz, Hiller and Sbisa
Very, very, very probably not available will be: Josi

Those 6 players should make the team, that's clear for me. Streit and Sbisa could be an excellent pair.

I hope Simpson takes a look at Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in one of the forthcoming test-games. This guy has made a huge progress this year and is one of the best players of the ZSC Lions currently.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
So, it's nearly February and Simpson is surely beginning to think about who should be on his team.

If we look to NA:
Surely available will be (if not injured): Nino and Streit
Perhaps available will be (if not injured): Weber, Diaz, Hiller and Sbisa
Very, very, very probably not available will be: Josi

Those 6 players should make the team, that's clear for me. Streit and Sbisa could be an excellent pair.

I hope Simpson takes a look at Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in one of the forthcoming test-games. This guy has made a huge progress this year and is one of the best players of the ZSC Lions currently.

This is very good news. He was supposed to be among the greatest prospects some years ago, HFutures was giving him very high marks. and then everything unravelled until he came to the Tigers and then was unavailable for months ...

Finally he landed with the lions.
with the development you are heralding here !!
0.66 points per game ... ! and qualitatively a good player !

does tampa still hold his rights ? or where does he stand in regards to North America ?

Do you think Nino will make the team ? (the few games i saw ...he wasn't really that good ... but i am in no way an expert !) and we start having some decent forwards ... specially at the NLA level !

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm sure Simpson has been thinking about who should be on the team for quite some times now ;)

Streit, Sbisa, Diaz and Hiller will make the team for sure, if available (and Josi as well). Weber and Niederreiter should be weighted against the Europe based players, they are not superior enough skillswise to justify being part of the team without considering chemistry issues.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i is doing well and should get a chance to play in some tournament, but he needs to beat a lot of players to get an offensive role (Plüss, Rüthemann, Monnet, Bykov, Wick, Domenichelli, Sprunger, Brunner...). Players who have been consistently good for the national team shouldn't be taken out of consideration based on a below expectations club season.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I think it's way too early to give :eek::eek::eek::eek:i a chance on international level. He scores 16 points in 28 games in NLA and immediatelly, we have to give him a look with the nati? mmmhh, i demand some confirmation on a longer term. Perhaps next year in the Germany tourmanent when Simpson lines up his "under 25" team.

For Nino, yes i think he can be part of the team. Despise his stats, i don't play so weak and his linemates are just awful. He has the tool to help the nati.

I'm happy to see Buergler. Hope he can deserve a selection in the WM. And what are you thinking about Guggisberg? I have (had) great exceptations for him, i know he comes back from injuries, but man, 2 assist in 9 games....

Still one word on Bykov, Ruethemann and Pluess. The first is finally way too prone injuried (not a surprise), i'm very disappointed when i look at his season beginning, but i'm pretty sure he will be injured after the playoff. And the 2 Bern players are not the same anymore, i think it's their last WM.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Plüss and Rüthemann are proven national team performers and had a strong tournament last year, it has to count for something. I think the current situation in Bern also plays a part in their substandard club season, but there are many example of players having difficulties during the season who ended up having a strong contribution at the world championship.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Anyway, don't get me wrong, i'm a adept of these two guys, great dedication to your swiss squad. How many time Pluess was just great during the 1/4 final vs bigger nations. But i think there were not as dominant in the last WC as the others WC ( and it's perfectly understandable) and they won't be able to repeat such plays. And it would be a good thing if some young talented players (like Moser, Pestoni) push them away. It would say than we are really progressing with ours forwards. So it's perhaps too early like you said....

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but does anyone think if some of these young guys like pestoni develope they could make a spot for themselves in the nhl? i mean Diaz has been pretty damn good in Montreal this year. I really thought he was gonna get killed. I like the idea of an nhl manager going to the NLA and taking a few of the top swiss players for cheap, especially for teams on a shoe-string budget to fill out their 3rd and 4th lines.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I could see Brunner or Vermin (if not drafted) being signed as free agents, or maybe Pascal Berger, but that would be a long shot. Any other player would surprise me.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
With 18yrs old, is C. Bertschi (the Bärner young gun) underaged to be drafted or contracted ?
is something possible with him ?

He left a nice impression after the WJC.
I would have seen him at least attracted some attention.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Christoph Bertschy is draft eligible this year, but his skillset is not exactly what NHL scouts are looking for. It's possible he'll be taken, but I think Simion has a bigger chance.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Well, he better change his mind, I have tickets for the Finland - Switzerland game and thus would welcome a Ducks' elimination :D

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I want to see :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, this guy is great, probably third skilled Swiss forward in the Swiss league after Brunner and Wick and this means something. Good skater, good vision and huge progress this season.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Totally agree about :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

As I've posted at the beginning of the season, he could go all through... from a NLB- to the first Line of the NT. As good as it was for him to restart his career with GCK, it was a blatant joke talentwise.

I really hope Simpson gives the "Brunner-:eek::eek::eek::eek:i-Sprunger" -Combo a try in Prep-games.

They might wouldn't be the best in retrieving puck-possession or defensive work.
But if they can gain the puck in the offensive zone..... I don't think the swiss NT has ever offered a line with more puck-skills.

It would be the ideal line to make the difference against Non-Top-6-Nations IMO.

and BTW, as exciting :eek::eek::eek::eek:i's playing style is, he still got much room to improve:

His puck-skills and skating are elite, and his vision and passing as well as his ability to gain space in the offensive zone are very good,

and while he gives a constant effort nowadays, on the defensive site as well, he's still missing a bit intensity and power. And for a guy that highly skilled, who handles the playmaking of his line with so much ease, he should learn to be a leader beside the skills. (compare him to Brunner or von Arx) He still likes to hide his personality on the ice. (maybe there's the lazy-label coming from?)

but most important IMO: he should shoot more often... he's got a nice wrist shot. he got a whole lot of variety in his passing, hard to read, but when the D-corps realize that he pass/shot- ratio is about 19:1, they gonna adjust soon, and he'll lose a lot of efficency.

never the less. it was a pleasure, seeing him develop this season.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I sense in him the laziness of a genius.

optimizing resources to get the most out of it while remaining cozy.
It can lead to a lowconfidencehighmotivation / highconfidencelaziness cyclicality. It leads to huge swings in effectiveness and success. A maniaco-depressive pattern.

I know this. At the end you complete little (depending on the severity) of your potential on a long term basis until you REALLY get rid of this bad solution/habit.

I "beat" it some years ago.
I am a christian and reply to anonymous mails for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad