National Post Article: some good points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
From this article: http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a2ffc766-eb8a-4ebf-a81d-e165d77d4aad

"Mike Gartner was a very, very positive influence in the meeting and we concluded and we all agreed that we have to sit down and work through these issues, that the league needs a new deal, that the players need a new deal and the sooner we can reach a new deal the better," Daly said. "I wish we had that spirit of co-operation of dialogue from the start but we haven't."

The focus now is on the 2005-'06 season. After a board of governors meeting the week after next, the league will likely reach out at the NHLPA and try to renew talks in an effort to get a deal done as soon as possible.

The league would love to get a deal done by May in order to hold an entry draft in June, reach out to fans and corporate sponsors, market the game with its new rules. In short, re-launch hockey.

In effect, this almost seems better. I always respected Gartner and it seems like there are just way too many issues to resolve to finish this CBA. It can't be done over night. From what they are saying here I truly hope they go over every detail, cross every t and dot every i.

If there is a deal done in May - that deal would tell us how they plan on doing the draft for 2005. It could be interesting. That motivation is enough. Also, it would allow a proper 2 months of free agent activity before the start of the next season - and the players could come back to NA knowing they were going to training camp come September.

I don't think we will see hockey until then, and hopefully they will do this all right.

mooseOAK*

I don't think that the owners can offer the same deal if this season doesn't happen. The revenues will definitely be lower and there is a lot more uncertainty.

If the player don't accept the deal offered now how will they quietly accept a lot less in May? Yes, I know, logic doesn't apply here.

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Even if they did accept something in May in time for the draft, how would it work? Would Washington still have the number one pick and Cosby or would the whole draft be a lottery?

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Grandpabuzz said:
Even if they did accept something in May in time for the draft, how would it work? Would Washington still have the number one pick and Cosby or would the whole draft be a lottery?
NO one has the #1 pick! You don't get it this year cause you had it last year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nikeisevil said:
If there is a deal done in May - that deal would tell us how they plan on doing the draft for 2005. It could be interesting. That motivation is enough. Also, it would allow a proper 2 months of free agent activity before the start of the next season - and the players could come back to NA knowing they were going to training camp come September.

I don't think we will see hockey until then, and hopefully they will do this all right.

An extra 2 months of an offseason would also allow teams to make proper deals on all transfers based on salary cap dumps.

ttoad4000t

Dec 14, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
sorry, if they couldn't come to a deal to save this season, they sure wont come to an agreement in may. I was very optimistic we would see a season for 04-05, but after today, I have my doubts about 05-06.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->