Waived: Nathan Walker again (upd: back to caps)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
We had to assign a much better player in Anton Slepyshev to the AHL yesterday because the Oilers claimed this guy for some reason.

Not an NHL player.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I liked his tenacity; unfortunately, his over-zealousness to impress the coaching staff backfired on him with a bad and needless penalty last night the Sharks scored on and his unforced turnovers in the first game he played in. I would have liked to have seen him play more than just two games to get him settled down, but Slepyshev is the better player and more deserving of a roster spot.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
We had to assign a much better player in Anton Slepyshev to the AHL yesterday because the Oilers claimed this guy for some reason.

Not an NHL player.

If Sekera is coming back, wouldn't Slepyshev still be sent down to the AHL? I don't get what point your trying to make.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Sounds like Washington gets first claim chance on this
Not quite.

That's a fallacy that for some reason continues to persist.

Walker will go back on waivers, with the normal waiver priority order.

If any team with higher priority puts in a claim, regardless of if Washington does or not, they get Walker.

If Washington puts in a succesful claim and are the only team to put in a claim, then they can send Walker straight to the AHL if they want to.

If Washington puts in a succesful claim, but a team with lower priority also puts in a claim, Washington gets the player, but to send him down to the minors, they need to put him back onto waivers, again.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Not quite.

That's a fallacy that for some reason continues to persist.

Walker will go back on waivers, with the normal waiver priority order.

If any team with higher priority puts in a claim, regardless of if Washington does or not, they get Walker.

If Washington puts in a succesful claim and are the only team to put in a claim, then they can send Walker straight to the AHL if they want to.

If Washington puts in a succesful claim, but a team with lower priority also puts in a claim, Washington gets the player, but to send him down to the minors, they need to put him back onto waivers, again.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Fisch is slightly wrong too.

Everybody has "first crack" but you don't receive the player unless you are the team with the highest priority to put in a claim.
And again, Washington can only send him to the minors without waivers, if they are the only team to put in a claim.

Will link relevant CBA later. Just on lunch at work right now.
EDIT: 13.22
NHL CBA 13.22 Players Waived by Club and Subsequently Reclaimed Via Waivers During Same Season said:
When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
The above quote from NHL CBA 13.22 details when a team reclaiming a player previously lost on waivers can send him directly to the minors or not.
NHL CBA 13.12-13.23 covers all other aspects of waivers, and details how any player that is waiver eligible must be sent on waivers and exposed to the whole League before they can be assigned to a minor league.

I think what Fisch might be thinking of is trades (13.20 b)) which states a player claimed on waivers cannot be traded within the same season without first being offered to any other club that unsuccessfully put in a claim, with the same terms of the deal on the table.
To make a clear example of what Fisch was thinking: Adam Cracknell was claimed off waivers by the New York Rangers October 9, this season. He was then subsequently traded to Montreal for Peter Holland on November 30. That trade would not have been completed before New York first offered Cracknell to any other teams that tried to put in a claim for October 9 (whether there were any other teams we'll never actually know unless that clause is triggered, as the League does not publish a list of unsuccessful claims).

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Not an NHL player.
I think Slepyshev would have been in the AHL anyway. He has to clear waivers if he plays another NHL game I am pretty sure, and he hasn't been overly effective this year, so why not get him some prime ice time in Bakersfield while you can. Let's him get his confidence up hopefully, get some prime ice time, and then we can call him up later.

I've liked Walker's effort, but I don't see him doing anything special that we aren't getting from other guys. I kind of hope someone claims him so we get the contract spot.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
His stint as an Oiler was short, my biggest criticism I'd have is he was trying too hard to impress, felt like he was playing outside of his normal game and was making mistakes cause of it, took a stupid penalty last night trying to force a turnover and made a few ill advised plays trying to manufacture chances when a more meat and potatoes kind of play was required.

Anyways Oilers have 4 bubble forwards in Cammalleri, Caggiula, Slepyshev, and Pakarinen and I like each of them more than Walker.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Best of luck to him, he just didn't show enough with the Oilers to warrant a roster spot.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
For those interested, this cost Washington $56,250, paid to Edmonton and not counted against the cap.

Which is exactly the amount Edmonton paid to Washington when they claimed him on Dec 1, no? Each team is, net, out absolutely zero dollars (except actual salary paid to the player while they controlled him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad