Nathan Mackinnon

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
What were the stats of Nathan MacKinnon and Sidney Crosby at the same age for Shattuck St.Mary's? Didn't Crosby have around 80 more points?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
At Shattuck
Crosby - 57 GP - 72 G 90 A 162 Pts
MacKinnon - 40 GP - 45 G 48 A 93 Pts; if he played 57 GP: 132 Pts. Not bad.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
At Shattuck
Crosby - 57 GP - 72 G 90 A 162 Pts
MacKinnon - 40 GP - 45 G 48 A 93 Pts; if he played 57 GP: 132 Pts. Not bad.

I looked those stats up on eliteprospects and I noticed that Crosby's line is listed under United States High School while MacKinnon's is listed as U16. Is there a difference between those two levels? I think I remember reading that St. Mary's has different levels of teams.

I think it's also worth noting that a teammate, Taylor Cammarata, put up 139 points in 57 games, and he's only 4 months older. Not meaning to downgrade MacKinnon's ability, just thought it was interesting.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I looked those stats up on eliteprospects and I noticed that Crosby's line is listed under United States High School while MacKinnon's is listed as U16. Is there a difference between those two levels? I think I remember reading that St. Mary's has different levels of teams.

I think it's also worth noting that a teammate, Taylor Cammarata, put up 139 points in 57 games, and he's only 4 months older. Not meaning to downgrade MacKinnon's ability, just thought it was interesting.

I believe crsoby was the only player in recent history to play on the prep team underaged, I dont think parise or toews did. And yes, the prep team is a higher level.

Cammarata is supposed to be very good too, was drafted 1st overall in the ushl draft. But from everyone I've heard from thats seen SSM games say he is small and is a 1 dimensional player, while mackinnon is a lot more defensive and complete.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I believe crsoby was the only player in recent history to play on the rpep team underaged, I dont think parise or toews did. And yes, the prep team is a higher level.

Cammarata is supposed to be very good too, was drafted 1st overall in the ushl draft. But from everyone I've heard from thats seen SSM games say he is small and is a 1 dimensional player, while mackinnon is a lot more defensive and complete.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
It's unfair but unavoidable that this kid is going to be compared to Crosby. But seriously, their Shattuck numbers are so night and day it's unreal. Crosby scored 162 points for their PREP squad, while Mackinnon scored far less playing U-16. Yes they played for the same school, but it's like one guy putting up points in Tier 2 while the other racking them up Major Junior.
People need to lay off the 'next Crosby' comparisons. At the same age Crosby was far ahead of where Mackinnon is. It's going to be exciting watching Nathan, and I hope he continues to develop and becomes a star. But he's cursed with being from the same region as Sid and taking the same path...

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I actually think MacKinnon will be more like Eric Staal after he fills out. He's not on Crosby level for me. Unless he goes crazy this year so who knows. But right now, it's all up in the air right now.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I actually think MacKinnon will be more like Eric Staal after he fills out. He's not on Crosby level for me. Unless he goes crazy this year so who knows. But right now, it's all up in the air right now.

If he grows to Eric Staals height I think thats accurate, however I feel he could be better than him. I've heard people put him on par with stamkos in the prospect sense. Not that he plays like stamkos, but on the same level as stamkos. So no, not as good as crosby, but just because he isnt crosby good doesnt mean he wont be a star.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
It's unfair but unavoidable that this kid is going to be compared to Crosby. But seriously, their Shattuck numbers are so night and day it's unreal. Crosby scored 162 points for their PREP squad, while Mackinnon scored far less playing U-16. Yes they played for the same school, but it's like one guy putting up points in Tier 2 while the other racking them up Major Junior.
People need to lay off the 'next Crosby' comparisons. At the same age Crosby was far ahead of where Mackinnon is. It's going to be exciting watching Nathan, and I hope he continues to develop and becomes a star. But he's cursed with being from the same region as Sid and taking the same path...

Yeah, the expectations certainly need to be tempered. I really do he can put up some solid numbers straight away in the Q.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, the expectations certainly need to be tempered. I really do he can put up some solid numbers straight away in the Q.

Agree 100 percent.

Sadly those involved with him, and posters on here have kept expectations low, where as media members seem to be hyping him up, without taking a second to watch him or look at things with a bit of balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad