Nathan MacKinnon: "I'm going into year 9 and haven't won s**t"

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
The odds of winning the Stanley Cup are so small.. but Colorado is one of those teams who could win it any one of these next 4 years or they could not come close... But I'd say their chances are as good as any

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Guy only had 2 goals the hole vegas series and those fans un game 1 blowout. He also went pointless 3 games in a row. So let's just say he was part of the problem this series, that and grubauer was horrible the last few

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would be very disappointed if he wasn't frustrated.

I do think the team took a step forward this year. Winning the president's trophy isn't nothing, though it pales in comparison to postseason success. Blowing two 3rd period leads against a great team isn't a foundational-changes type of problem. They're close. They need to dial it in. Pretty much every champion in any sport has this type of disappointment somewhere on their resume. Learning how to overcome that adversity is a big reason they end up at the top.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
MacKinnon melted just like against Dallas last year. He would need to understand that it is a team game and not a show of some skating drills. Obviously there is no one in the Avs team to tell him that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Come to TB Nate, we'll LTIR someone to get you in.

Honestly with his sweetheart contract you could just get rid of Gourde or someone like that and fit him in perfectly :laugh:

As for the OP... Yzerman didn't win his first championship until year 14; he didn't even make the finals until year 12. Ovechkin is another one that didn't have instant success.

It happens. But love to hear that stuff from Mack - thats what you want your star players to say. Super motivated.

Reactions: shello

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The kid is a great player!! He wants to win.........9 years, is a real long time to him.....remember, they say it's the hardest trophy in sports to win.
The Avs have a great team......no need for major changes....

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Why not eh....let him bring Crosby and Ovie too!!
Florida "Decision" 2.0? :)
i

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
I’d feel better if that was how Matthews felt not his feckless answers .

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How are we going into year 9 for Mack already?!? Geez time flies. He’s a mega star and he wants to win. Nothing wrong with showing frustration. Better than him being ok with not winning anything yet. On the bright side he’s on a really good team and he’s experiencing winning and winning playoff series.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
lol if mcDavid or Matthews said this the boards would be filled with stupid trade proposals and hot takes about them wanting out. But golden child Mackinnon gets people calling it "fire" and "motivation" to win in Colorado.

We coordinated offline about our messaging on MacKinnon. It is a conspiracy against McDavid and Matthews.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
He’s said he would take less money if it meant having a chance to win. His salary will definitely go up significantly in two years. But that’s two playoff runs at an absolute steal. Why would a team looking to contend the next few years swap their far less expensive superstar for another guy whose almost twice as expensive and hasn’t shown he can perform in the playoffs? The extra year doesn’t matter much when Matthews is taking up so much cap. There’s literally only one season difference between both hitting UFA. It makes no sense.
it was sarcasm for all the fans who were asking how long mcdavid and matthews would stay in their losing environments after their playoff collapses this season

Reactions: CycloneSweep

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Just not the type of player you win with, just like a Iginla... Will put up some numbers but just don't have the heart
Did you just say that Iggy didn't have the heart? Are you f'n out of your mind? Iggy was a warrior that teamed up with a great goalie and dragged a team to the finals that had no business being in the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad