Nathan MacKinnon: "I'm going into year 9 and haven't won s**t"

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Just not the type of player you win with, just like a Iginla... Will put up some numbers but just don't have the heart
This is such a dumb take....apparently no one can win with the likes of MacKinnon, McDavid, and Matthews. They need more subjective "Heart." Maybe its just really hard to win a Cup in todays NHL? People said the same things about Ovie, until he won a cup. The days are gone where one player can carry a team to the Cup.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
How much longer will he take this in colorado? Maybe he will switch spots with Matthews and both teams will flourish

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Like Connor McDavid.
Not quite yet. With all the cap space coming up for the Oilers providing a chance to actually do enough in the offseason to make a difference next year we wait 1 more year and then yeah *smallgrenadegifbutnotoutofrespectformobileusersonthissite*

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How much longer will he take this in colorado? Maybe he will switch spots with Matthews and both teams will flourish

Why on earth would Colorado want Matthews at $11.6 million for 3 years over Mackinnon at $6.3 million for 2 years? And how would going to a team with a worse playoff reputation help him if he’s fed up with his current situation?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Why on earth would Colorado want Matthews at $11.6 million for 3 years over Mackinnon at $6.3 million for 2 years? And how would going to a team with a worse playoff reputation help him if he’s fed up with his current situation?
The team is the last thing he should be fed up about. I don't think he would be in a better position to succeed anywhere else. He has better linemates than Ovi, Crosby, and McDavid have had throughout their years combined

Reactions: Voight and User9992

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
I like to hear this. This is why he's one of the best. He's competitive and needs to win.

If he was competitive he would have shown up in the games they lost instead of padding stats in blow outs.

His own coach called him out. If he wants to win something he needs to be more consistent.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
MacKinnon will only be a 6.3 for 2 more seasons, and then will probably go double that if he goes for value.

He’s said he would take less money if it meant having a chance to win. His salary will definitely go up significantly in two years. But that’s two playoff runs at an absolute steal. Why would a team looking to contend the next few years swap their far less expensive superstar for another guy whose almost twice as expensive and hasn’t shown he can perform in the playoffs? The extra year doesn’t matter much when Matthews is taking up so much cap. There’s literally only one season difference between both hitting UFA. It makes no sense.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Crosby had cup teams where they could win tight playoff games. This team gave up too many goals to VGK. You’re not going to go deep when you need to score four goals to win. Look at the Pens this last year.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Iginla took the Flames to game 7 of the cup finals. He was the last person I would blame for the Flames losing that game as well.

Zero shots on goal with over 23 minutes of ice time. In game 6 he had two shots in over 30 minutes. When you blow a lead in the series like that as the star forward and captain you're not the last one to blame.

Reactions: Jussi

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
He has never even won regular season trophies like Art Ross, Ted Lindsay or Hart.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I predict they win the cup next year. Hopefully MacKinnon gets his cup there. Colorado on the other hand should get a solid playoff guy, Kadri just keeps getting himself suspended.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Iginla took the Flames to game 7 of the cup finals. He was the last person I would blame for the Flames losing that game as well.

He had no points in the final two games and I believe no shots either.

He was a constant disappointment in the playoffs was his generations Keith Tkachuk

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just not the type of player you win with, just like a Iginla... Will put up some numbers but just don't have the heart

That’s nonsense. How was Iginla a type of player that you don’t win with? He came literally one win away from winning the Cup in 2004.

Just like Iginla, MacKinnon produces a lot in the playoffs and makes the Avs a dangerous team. Vegas was just better this year though, their depth and goaltending came through at key moments of the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad