Nathan MacKinnon’s impact in NHL heads the Colorado Avalanche’s storylines for 2013-1

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's had a lot of turnovers so far. Seems like every time he's on the ice he has at least one. He has a hard time getting the puck out of the zone but that will come with time. I think limited ice time is fair for him, but he should be on the pp.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm trying to debate with myself if MacKinnon should be moved to the wing for a bit or not.

One hand, I know he can still produce offense from the wing and it would lead to less defensive issues/turnovers so it might be better for the team as a whole. He might learn while playing on the wing. The line shuffle might be useful in getting better use of other players as well like getting Downie off of Duchene's line.

On the other hand, we want him to develop as a centre so maybe for the sake of his development, it would be best to keep him at centre despite mistakes. It would probably be costlier for the team though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
There's a lot of lineup possibilities, but it's too early to make any major changes until we lose another game or two. It is quite obvious his line is dreadful defensively, but they are also killing it offensively with puck possession in deep. They are getting favorable matchups and only fail defensively when Roy can't get his next line out in time to counter the other team's counter.

Yesterday Detroit got Datsyuk's line out against MacKinnon often enough that it cost us.

As for the wing/center thing, while I'm personally inclined to use him as a winger, I think the ROR-Duchy duo has been pretty good so far and I would rather keep them together than see them split.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not at all. While he is learning a bit on the fly his issues are overblown and are not magically fixed by him playing wing. His future is at center and he's already improved on faceoffs, let's hope he keeps improving. It not going to help the team to shuffle everyone around and O'Reilly's future is at wing. It just complicates his situation too to shuffle everyone around. Mack would be fine on wing but there is no long term or short term upside there. He's not going to be "sheltered" playing on say Duchene or Stastny's wing. He'll be out there against tougher lines.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lets not pull an Edmonton or Columbus and ruin one of our top young players by dicking him around. They could have moved him to wing in the offseason if they wanted to but now it's too late. Let him continue to play center and develop there.

He is horrible defensively and IMO, worse than Duchene when he first came into the league but it's not a concern. He just turned 18 two months ago. The faceoffs and defense will come eventually. Roy and the coaches just have to be careful and put him in the right situations. Also, it's not like MacKinnon is the only reason why that line has to be used in more offensive situations. McGinn and PAP aren't anything special defensively. Those two with Duchene at center last season were a disaster in the defensive zone.

Seven games into his career we can see that he has game breaking ability and he's going to be a star. It's best to leave him at center.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Lets not pull an Edmonton or Columbus and ruin one of our top young players by dicking him around. They could have moved him to wing in the offseason if they wanted to but now it's too late. Let him continue to play center and develop there.

He is horrible defensively and IMO, worse than Duchene when he first came into the league but it's not a concern. He just turned 18 two months ago. The faceoffs and defense will come eventually. Roy and the coaches just have to be careful and put him in the right situations. Also, it's not like MacKinnon is the only reason why that line has to be used in more offensive situations. McGinn and PAP aren't anything special defensively. Those two with Duchene at center last season were a disaster in the defensive zone.

Seven games into his career we can see that he has game breaking ability and he's going to be a star. It's best to leave him at center.

From what I recall, Duchene had more issues with the flow. When he was out of position he was 20 feet away, trying to catch up. Mac has been more positional within the zones than Duchene. Mac and Dutch are both smart players. Dutchy has become much more reliable, and Mac will get there as well. I am not concerned in the least.

As you said, Roy and the coaches need to manage the situations for Mac and put him in positions to succeed. I thought Mac being out against Detroit's top PP unit, in a tied game, in the 3rd period was pretty careless by Roy. Especially considering Dutchy, Stastny, and McGinn were all fresh on the bench. He may be testing Mac, but it cost us that game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Calgary are shielding Monahan by switching him and the LW in their own zone, so the winger gets to do the hard lifting. MacKinnon is thrown in off the deep end and he'll learn.

I think he's decent defensively but he just turned 18, so it's a steep learning curve for him. It'll be fine. Just lower your expectations.

That backcheck on the 2 on 1 for Detroit last night was the first time we've really seen the full speed from him and it was very impressive. The effort is there, he's a smart player. He'll figure it out.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The kids didn't score tonight. I guess he is mortal. :)

Zero chance of him being in Sochi. Too bad. Would LOVE to see those wheels on the big ice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No it won't and no it's not. :laugh:

You make it sound like moving him to the wing is akin to stowing him in the press box.

Edmonton and Columbus ruined players because they rushed those players into the league with mostly bad coaches and even worse management, not because they did the unthinkable and switched a natural center to the wing.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
The kids didn't score tonight. I guess he is mortal. :)

Zero chance of him being in Sochi. Too bad. Would LOVE to see those wheels on the big ice.

Speaking of Sochi, I think Duchene has made a case for himself so far.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Continuing the OT theme, but if they leave Duchene off the Olympic team after his play last year, this year, and his play in the WC, it would be a huge mistake. I don't think I'm saying that as and Av fan, I just think he might be one o their best players on the bigger ice, and would be especially great on Crosby's wing seeing them work together in some of that video during the off season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
NHL.com article about keeping newly drafted players in the NHL or sending them down. There are some quotes from Billington in there. Long article, so you've been warned.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I love this picture of his first goal. The smile on the kids face.. But even better, the smile on our captains face.
201310121956718148073.jpg

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind a non-Avs fan posting here. I watched Nathan for two years in Halifax and besides his obvious talent, even better was the way he changed his game from year 1 to year 2 and his compete level. Year 1, he was always looking to get the puck and take off. He would circle around his own zone, not paying attention to playing defense. In year 2, he played a much more responsible game, he was a hound on the backcheck, a top faceoff guy, all without affecting his offensive game. Although Drouin put up better numbers, when the playoffs came, he stepped up and was the better player overall.

As he progresses, I think you will see a level of commitment from him to be great at all aspects of his game and that he has the best compete level of an elite prospect since Crosby.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind a non-Avs fan posting here. I watched Nathan for two years in Halifax and besides his obvious talent, even better was the way he changed his game from year 1 to year 2 and his compete level. Year 1, he was always looking to get the puck and take off. He would circle around his own zone, not paying attention to playing defense. In year 2, he played a much more responsible game, he was a hound on the backcheck, a top faceoff guy, all without affecting his offensive game. Although Drouin put up better numbers, when the playoffs came, he stepped up and was the better player overall.

As he progresses, I think you will see a level of commitment from him to be great at all aspects of his game and that he has the best compete level of an elite prospect since Crosby.

This is why I'm so high on MacKinnon. I wasn't able to see any of his junior career but I've read everything I can find on him. He's just such a special player. I know things will take time, we saw the journey Duchene had to take to find his best game. Not that Nate will need the same journey. But he's already so much fun to watch, it's exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->