OT: Nathan Horton

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
if leafs win Stanley cup in next 2 years, does Nathan Horton gets ring too? He is a leaf and under contract but I am not sure how they decide. I believe scratched players and injured players get rings but what about players on LTIR?

The league only has say over who gets their name on the Cup, rings are strictly up to the team to decide. Quite often these get handed out to anyone remotely associated with the team on a successful championship run so I would assume he will get one

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think he gets anything other than the tens of millions the Leafs send him cheques for. He’s more like miscellaneous bills than a member of the organization.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The league only has say over who gets their name on the Cup, rings are strictly up to the team to decide. Quite often these get handed out to anyone remotely associated with the team on a successful championship run so I would assume he will get one

A friend's dad has his name on the Cup, yet he hadn't played a game in the NHL.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
A friend's dad has his name on the Cup, yet he hadn't played a game in the NHL.

There are many names on the Stanley Cup that never played in the NHL. Owners, top management, and coaches usually all get their name on the Cup.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
If the Leafs win the cup give everybody a ring! I'd go loopy handing them out, snack vendors, ushers, zamboni drivers, I'd be too happy to care
yeah I think there is a 'real' ring with the player's number on it and is worth real money, if I saw that episode of Pawn Stars correctly, and then if the team sees so fit, the entire staff of the team gets a ring too.

But Horton? No way his name goes on. There are rules and regulations, Remember Dryden got the Con Smyth and his name on the cup the year before he was rookie of the year because Vachon I think got hurt and he carried Montreal to the cup, but he was absolutely on the team so his ring and name on cup before he was even a 'rookie' is fair

Only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible to have their names on the Cup before 1977, but that's changed. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games for the championship team or in one Stanley Cup final game for that team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.
How Do Players Get Their Names on the Stanley Cup?, so you can get one, even if sick with the flu

Leafs need to win today first, and get rid of this angry Bruin bear

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are still paying Kessel $1.2 mil he is on their team cap..

Does Kessel get 1/4 of a Cup ring because Leafs are paying 1/4 of his salary?. :) :sarcasm:

Horton has never played a game in a Leaf jersey, I don't think he cares or expects a ring, and his name is certainly not going on the Cup as that is based on minimum games played.

The $5.3 mil that Leafs pay Horton to sit on his coach is more than enough payment for Nathan.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know this is good discussions but let’s see the boys win a round before even bringing this up.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
All these years later, and you still don't understand why the Leafs acquired Horton and paid out pocket 27.5m to acquire a player who would never play again. To think it's some sort of Leaf/Horton cap conspiracy. :shakehead
I wasn't suggesting some conspiracy. Just that he doesn't seem to be making things difficult for the Leafs or the league, unlike another cap dump like Lupul and his recent claims.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad