Value of: Nathan Horton

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we can sign Nylander, all 4 lines will be stronger. You have AM, JT, Naz and Lindhom as 4 centers. Leafs would love to have a defense like Nashville, but that's not going to happen. Our strength is Offense. Also, I am really high on Sandin, not so sure about Liljeren. We could sign Hainsey in one year deal and give the younger guys time to settle. Dermott is also becoming a good option. Babcock isn't giving him any pp time and he is playing in penalty kill. He is learning and I think he will be a top 4 defense man, look at Rielly's numbers in 2016-17 (27 points and was -20). Babcock didn't give him any powerplay and killed penaties to focus on his defense. So as Leafs fan we know what Dermott is going through and I think he will round out as a good defense man, definitely not close to Reilly.

The leafs have allowed 15 less goals this year vs last year after 15 games. Definitely off to a better start defensibly.

Sin City

Sep 24, 2016
The leafs have allowed 15 less goals this year vs last year after 15 games. Definitely off to a better start defensibly.
It's also because Andersen had a better October than the last two years. But I honestly believe we will have to run with our strength and defense is going to be a weakness. In a salary cap era, you will have to rely on players on ELC. I don't think we are contenders this year. But if we can keep the offense and develop Reilly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljeren as our top 4, I will be happy and I think we will be able to compete for years. If the focus is short term then trading Nylander makes sense, but we don't have to. We have a relatively young core and they are growing together.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Armia is not a lottery win. He is a good top 9 forward who is young and cheap. Would you be happy if you had to give up Johnsson in order to unload Horton? Not saying this is what you have to do but the piece needs to be good enough for the other GM to approach their ownership group asking them to write off $3.6M in cash.

Yes, we could of re-signed them. This is not about Bergevin's failures in the summer of 2017. This is about how much money Molson made due to a large cap space and how the Habs used this to get Armia while writing off $2.7M the following off season. Jets wanted to get rid of Mason. They were willing to trade a NHL proven asset vs writing off the money themselves in a buy out.
I will actually give you an honest answer, if the choice is doing your deal or moving Johnnson to get rid of Horton....i choose option B.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs fan criticizing the Leafs, surprise, surprise. No hidden agenda there. hahaha

This is BS! I'm debating against the reasoning provided. There has been zero jabs in the Habs vs Leafs rivalry. You are way off the rails on this one buddy. Why? Cause you can't handle a disagreement and this is all you got in your response. Come on man, you got nothing!

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
This is BS! I'm debating against the reasoning provided. There has been zero jabs in the Habs vs Leafs rivalry. You are way off the rails on this one buddy. Why? Cause you can't handle a disagreement and this is all you got in your response. Come on man, you got nothing!

Your reasons are nonsense and unsubstantiated and clearly are meant to find problems where there are none to feed your Habs fan agenda. Mic drop!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your reasons are nonsense and unsubstantiated and clearly are meant to find problems where there are none to feed your Habs fan agenda. Mic drop!

Sure you don't agree with my reasoning. I'm OK with it. It's a debate. But how does this have anything to do with a Habs fan agenda at trolling Leafs fans? I think you are being way too sensitive at me providing constructive criticism and you are on a witch hunt.

Change your focus and avoid the confrontational approach. Talk about the opinion and the reasons why you disagree. Provide substance to support your opinion. All you are doing is talking trash at the moment. It's not worth even posting this garbage.

Go ahead.. drop your mic. I don't care. I have been consistent with my opinion and I have tried my best to remain respectful. Your off the rails with your accusation cause you are too sensitive at constructive criticism.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Sure you don't agree with my reasoning. I'm OK with it. It's a debate. But how does this have anything to do with a Habs fan agenda at trolling Leafs fans? I think you are being way too sensitive at me providing constructive criticism and you are on a witch hunt.

Change your focus and avoid the confrontational approach. Talk about the opinion and the reasons why you disagree. Provide substance to support your opinion. All you are doing is talking trash at the moment. It's not worth even posting this garbage

And you're Blocked! Peace out!

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Change your focus and avoid the confrontational approach. Talk about the opinion and the reasons why you disagree. Provide substance to support your opinion. All you are doing is talking trash at the moment. It's not worth even posting this garbage.

Go ahead.. drop your mic. I don't care. I have been consistent with my opinion and I have tried my best to remain respectful. Your off the rails with your accusation cause you are too sensitive at constructive criticism.
The problem is, you don't get it. If the Leafs are trading Nylander....Petry can't be the D coming back...period. Adding all the fluff, and continually stating the reasons why you think it makes sense doesn't change that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem is, you don't get it. If the Leafs are trading Nylander....Petry can't be the D coming back...period. Adding all the fluff, and continually stating the reasons why you think it makes sense doesn't change that.

I do get it. But we have replied back and forth the same things... The 3 way trade was not Nylander for Petry and it runs much deeper than this. Not going to explain it all over again and I do understand it from your perspective. I just think my approach is a different one.

If the Leafs can trade Nylander, get Petry for 3 years at $4M but also get a 5-15 range pick and three very good young prospects in Bean, Drury, H Fleury. And unloading Horton's contract, it frees up space to even make further improvements.

It's all about addressing 3 issues

1) A RD need on a cheap contract. Petry at $4M for 3 years fits

2) Cap space and unloading Horton's contract.

3) What to do with Nylander before Dec 1st. Taking futures is not popular but a 5-15 range pick, Bean, Drury, and H Fleury is a serious package.

I accomplished all 3 for the leafs. All 3 teams have their needs addressed. I also think it's bizarre to think the Leafs don't need good prospects on cheap ELC moving forward in a cap world where they will be in cap hell.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Wait you mean trading Nylander for a pile of junk isn't a good idea?

Reactions: Liferleafer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I do get it. But we have replied back and forth the same things... The 3 way trade was not Nylander for Petry and it runs much deeper than this. Not going to explain it all over again and I do understand it from your perspective. I just think my approach is a different one.
Your approach is different, but you can't complain about about Leafs fans not debating....it's a deal that doesn't do what TO needs right now.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The reality after 15 games is the Leafs have allowed 40 goals which is 7th in the league. Can then sustain it? It's possible and there is a factor of having a strong center depth and sustained pressure a the other end of the ice.

But like I said, the point is winning a cup. I'm measuring that D against cup contending rosters and your ability to beat them in a 7 game series.

Playoff pretenders vs Cup contenders.

LOL. And you are...?

What on earth do you know about any of it?

The fact is, the Leafs have a good, and very young team. They're not 100% "there" yet but they are a dangerous team and have one of the best records in the NHL. They were very good last year too, so it's been coming on for some time now. Could the D be better? Of course. Every team in the league has something that could be improved. But you are not offering any insights here at all. Far from it!

The Leafs look great, and have a good young D-corps coming up soon as well, to replace out-going guys. I'll enjoy that, thanks.

You can, uh, enjoy your team? :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LOL. And you are...?

What on earth do you know about any of it?

The fact is, the Leafs have a good, and very young team. They're not 100% "there" yet but they are a dangerous team and have one of the best records in the NHL. They were very good last year too, so it's been coming on for some time now. Could the D be better? Of course. Every team in the league has something that could be improved. But you are not offering any insights here at all. Far from it!

The Leafs look great, and have a good young D-corps coming up soon as well, to replace out-going guys. I'll enjoy that, thanks.

You can, uh, enjoy your team? :)

I rather enjoy respectful hockey conversations on HF boards cause that's why I'm here. If you can't understand that the Leafs D will have a hard time beating those other top 10 cup contenders with a solid D, I don't know what to tell you.

You can enjoy your hopeful wishes :)

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
LOL. I've already shown how easy it is to be under the cap. Jesus. Are you people REALLY this blind? Or maybe you only see what you want to see, eh? ;)

The cap should rise to around 83-84 million for next season. I'll keep Marleau in this one, just for fun.....Gardiner and Hainsey walk away as free agents. Lets assume some big contracts for the big three.

Marleau(6.25M) - Tavares(11M) - Marner(8.5M)
Hyman (2.25K)- Matthews (11M) - Nylander (7M)
Kapanen (3M) - Kadri (4.5M) - Grundstrom(925K)
Johnsson (1.5M)- Lindholm (1.2M) - Who cares? (650K)
Gauthier (675K)

Rielly (5M) - Ozhiganov (1.5M)
Dermott (900K)- Zaitsev (4.5M)
Borgman(1M) - Liljegren (900K)
Who cares? (650K)

Andersen (5M)
Sparks (750K)

Buyouts: 1.2M

TOTAL SALARY == 79.85M, including Kessel

Add Horton's 5.3 million in the offseason, and it's 85.15.......but all teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. As soon as the season begins, his salary goes on LTIR and we are MORE THAN FINE.

Phew. That was easy!
But that defense is weak. So Toronto doesn't really upgrade the team at all. Looks Like Dubas is drafting defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad