Recalled/Assigned: Nathan Beaulieu called up (Oct. 4)

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Can't see why he was recalled for this game when he probably wouldn't play...

Say a dmen gets hurt, pulls a groin, or gets hit with a puck during warm up, etc (knock on wood)...the Habs have to start the game with 5 dmen...that would be a major blunder by management.

IMO what is interesting is that Beaulieu was called up, while it isn't ideal, much rather have a guy like Pateryn be a guy that just sits on the pressbox. But I think since they called up Beaulieu, he'll get to play some games, not sure to replace who though.

NewHabsEra*

Pateryn looked pretty awful in the last few strings of pre-season games he played. He coughed up the puck often, showed little poise and was frequently caught out of position.

Indeed..

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Maybe Montreal wouldn't have Galchenyuk today. Dominos still falling.

Someone should make a ''What if'' thread.

How lucky were we to lose all those shoutout games in 2011-12... remember when everybody was complaining? Yeah, we have Galchenyuk now.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I don't think anyone actually believes Pateryn is better than Beaulieu.

Don't you think "is better than" is a narrow way of analyzing how a player fills a team's strategic needs at a particular position in a particular lineup?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
I think he could have a good year if Markov god forbid get's injured.

He could do well on the pp with Subban.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Don't you think "is better than" is a narrow way of analyzing how a player fills a team's strategic needs at a particular position in a particular lineup?

I'm not sure what need Pateryn fills that Beaulieu couldn't/doesn't. Offensively Beaulieu is on another level and would help a rather weak blueline on the 2nd PP wave. Pateryn may have a slight edge (debatable) defensively.

And Beaulieu is not some midget...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Don't you think that saying one player belongs in the lineup because he is "big" is a narrow way of analyzing who is ready to contribute in an nhl lineup?

Pateryn didn't look great near the end of camp. He struggled immensly. Beaulieu wasn't on fire, but he looked okay to good in pre-season, much better than Pateryn, especially in terms of poise and positioning.

While the habs need size on the back-end, they also need players that are competent. Pateryn showed that he isn't defensively ready, regardless of his physical readiness.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I'm not sure what need Pateryn fills that Beaulieu couldn't/doesn't. Offensively Beaulieu is on another level and would help a rather weak blueline on the 2nd PP wave. Pateryn may have a slight edge (debatable) defensively.

And Beaulieu is not some midget...

This. We have Subban, Markov and Diaz for offence. Also Beaulieu is not a midget but Pateryn is 2" and 30lbs bigger. On a team with the smallest top-nine in the league that's an appreciable difference.

Also yes he can fight :help:

Don't you think that saying one player belongs in the lineup because he is "big" is a narrow way of analyzing who is ready to contribute in an nhl lineup?

Yup, Good thing I didn't say that! He also plays hockey well.

Pateryn didn't look great near the end of camp. He struggled immensly. Beaulieu wasn't on fire, but he looked okay to good in pre-season, much better than Pateryn, especially in terms of poise and positioning.

While the habs need size on the back-end, they also need players that are competent. Pateryn showed that he isn't defensively ready, regardless of his physical readiness.

Yes Pateryn a bad game or two but in the rest he definitely performed well and impressed. Strong, gritty, clears the crease and wasn't he near the top of the team in preseason scoring?

Anyway I don't mind so much which of them comes up, but kindly show some love for Mr Greg P. :)

ReppingMTL

Mar 22, 2012
People do realise that Beaulieu played two games in preseason. Patteryn before playing those awful two last games, had one of his best games and people were saying how great our future looks with Patteryn in the mix. Don't write off Patteryn because of two bad games. He's going to definitely fill a need in the future. I'm still on the Beaulieu bandwagon though, he is going to be great!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I have absolutely nothing against Pateryn but I just think Beaulieu is a better player. That's all.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't think anyone is writing-off Pateryn, but he didn't look ready at the tail end of the pre-season games. Saying that he isn't ready =/= saying he has no talent.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This. We have Subban, Markov and Diaz for offence. Also Beaulieu is not a midget but Pateryn is 2" and 30lbs bigger. On a team with the smallest top-nine in the league that's an appreciable difference.

Also yes he can fight :help:

Yup, Good thing I didn't say that! He also plays hockey well.

Yes Pateryn a bad game or two but in the rest he definitely performed well and impressed. Strong, gritty, clears the crease and wasn't he near the top of the team in preseason scoring?

Anyway I don't mind so much which of them comes up, but kindly show some love for Mr Greg P. :)

I never said he wasn't capable of playing hockey. Based on his pre-season, he didn't look ready at all and struggled despite putting up points and clearing the crease. What's the point of being able to clear the crease when you're going to cough up the puck and get caught flatfooted?

Based on pre-season Pateryn didn't look ready at all, nor did he do enough to warrant being first call up on D.

He has the tools and is still young, but he needs some work. Beaulieu looked better in the two games he played, so not surprised he's here.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013

Thing is, I don't think Beaulieu is going to play, he will watch the games from the press box, meaning that the habs need right now is a 7th dman and I'd rather have Pateryn in the press box and Beaulieu playing top pairing minutes in Hamilton than the contrary.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Thing is, I don't think Beaulieu is going to play, he will watch the games from the press box, meaning that the habs need right now is a 7th dman and I'd rather have Pateryn in the press box and Beaulieu playing top pairing minutes in Hamilton than the contrary.

Both need to play as neither one is fully ready. Pateryn needs minutes as much Beaulieu does. I don't think it's a good excuse.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Both need to play as neither one is fully ready. Pateryn needs minutes as much Beaulieu does. I don't think it's a good excuse.

I agree that both needs to play, but considering that Pateryn is older and and I think he is closer to his full potential (not meaning better than beaulieu) if I had to chose between which one I want to sit in the press box for a few games I'd chose Pateryn.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I agree that both needs to play, but considering that Pateryn is older and and I think he is closer to his full potential (not meaning better than beaulieu) if I had to chose between which one I want to sit in the press box for a few games I'd chose Pateryn.

Considering that the Bulldogs start their season october 11th, Beaulieu isn't missing much.

Pateryn didn't look too hot and if he plays the way he did near the end of pre-season, I would not feel comfortable with him in the lineup, regardless of whether he clears the net or not.

He could still learn while sitting in the press-box and considering that bulldogs start 10 days from now, it won't harm much ;)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Beaulieu doesn't require waivers and is the next in line - Murray is out 4-6 weeks so it just makes sense for Nathan to be called up.

I expect a lot of plane trips from Montreal to Hamilton in the next 4 weeks for Beaulieu, get the frequent flyers card out young man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->