Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson to Flyers: 1 year, $800k (Thread Started 7/28/21)

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Yes, so. Perrault is from Quebec province, think he wanted to go from Winnipeg to Philly when there was an opening in Montreal?

People assume just because a player is available, he's available to come here. Of course, if the Flyers offered $2M that might change his mind, but since he's a winger, not a center, it would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

I'm pretty sure Fletcher had feelers out on a lot of guys, knew what they were asking and where was their desired destinations.
The problem is in a flat cap world, most decisions are bad - do you want quality depth or to sign Sanheim to a long-term deal?
Because they can probably get Hart on a 2 year bridge and Sanheim on a 6 year contract for $7-7.5M.
Which precluded contracts much more than minimum wage.
Are you nuts... 6 yrs $7 million per...Travis Sanheim lol.... thats the funniest thing i've ever heard.... Scott needs to drive Fletcher to the insane asylum if that happens...

Reactions: LorneMalvo

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Are you nuts... 6 yrs $7 million per...Travis Sanheim lol.... thats the funniest thing i've ever heard.... Scott needs to drive Fletcher to the insane asylum if that happens...
Who said the Flyers should give Sanheim 6 years at 7 million per. I thought seeing someone suggest 6 million per yesterday was bad.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Congrats, you made a useless post acting like I just endorsed a signing I said they shouldn't have made.

curious, why do you think every reply to one of ur posts is an attack ?

are you like that in RL..

dude i was making a joke about how shit players are never described by their hockey abilities, but by stupid terms like "lockerroom/grit/or Glue"..

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Who said the Flyers should give Sanheim 6 years at 7 million per. I thought seeing someone suggest 6 million per yesterday was bad.
Deadhead.... i don't know if he was just throwing it out there..i've said it once I'll say it a thousand times ....who's this Travis Sanheim...I've never seen him....Hopefully he becomes that player but sure as hell hasn't done that with the Flyers yet.....-22 and 15 points in 55 games for an offensive defenseman and you want to pay him $6-$7.5 million per year lol lol lol..

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Deadhead.... i don't know if he was just throwing it out there..i've said it once I'll say it a thousand times ....who's this Travis Sanheim...I've never seen him....Hopefully he becomes that player but sure as hell hasn't done that with the Flyers yet.....-22 and 15 points in 55 games for an offensive defenseman and you want to pay him $6-$7.5 million per year lol lol lol..
Sanheim should't be getting more than 4-5 million depending on the length of the deal, and I personally wouldn't invest more than five years in him as he still has a lot to prove. He's regressed since getting his last deal with an AAV of 3.25 million. Add in the flat cap factor and getting 4 million on another bridge deal would be extremely generous.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
View attachment 457888

Charlie O….WYD? He says it again later on in his free agency recap piece. There is zero eye-test analysis that he uses to back this up. There’s a place and time to utilize analytics (pretty much always). However, if you’re gonna say a player is good defensively, bring me video and state your case as to what the player does specifically to be good defensively.

Charlie did include the stats that Thompson is as zero-event a player as can be.

thompson_stats.png

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Charlie did include the stats that Thompson is as zero-event a player as can be.

thompson_stats.png

My critique was more along the lines of: There is a total lack of viewing/eye-test takeaways that were in Thompson’s section of the article. I’m a stickler for analysis that touches on as much of the full picture that is readily available to us (stats & eye-test). If it’s entirely one or the other, there are missing pieces.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
For a 4th line center zero-event isn't necessarily a bad thing, imo.

Thanks, Lorne. Charlie's point about this was valid: for a team that is top-heavy with scoring talent, having a dead-puck centre on the 4th line is fine. But the Flyers rely on scoring by committee so Thompson's offensive black hole is often an overall detriment.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
My critique was more along the lines of: There is a total lack of viewing/eye-test takeaways that were in Thompson’s section of the article. I’m a stickler for analysis that touches on as much of the full picture that is readily available to us (stats & eye-test). If it’s entirely one or the other, there are missing pieces.

Thanks, Ted. That is what I thought you meant, and I was surprised with these numbers given what we saw of Thompson. The refs may as well have thrown the puck into the Flyers' zone instead of a faceoff outside it.

Reactions: TB87

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Players with Nate Thompson type usage (minimal offensive zone starts, substantial defensive zone starts in limited minutes) almost universally end up with poor possession and offense-based metrics. Such metrics are poor means of evaluating players in those roles.

Reactions: orangey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Players with Nate Thompson type usage (minimal offensive zone starts, substantial defensive zone starts in limited minutes) almost universally end up with poor possession and offense-based metrics. Such metrics are poor means of evaluating players in those roles.

While that's hardly true and easy to account for, you can still use the eyeball test to directly observe that he's garbage.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
View attachment 457888

Charlie O….WYD? He says it again later on in his free agency recap piece. There is zero eye-test analysis that he uses to back this up. There’s a place and time to utilize analytics (pretty much always). However, if you’re gonna say a player is good defensively, bring me video and state your case as to what the player does specifically to be good defensively.

An important part of defense is making the puck leave your zone so you can stop defending. Thompson cannot. So even if he's putting on a defensive clinic, it is only a matter of time until he is scored upon. And no offense will occur in our favor in that time.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers have a possible PK rotation of Couturier-Atkinson / Hayes-Laughton / Farabee-Lindblom-Giroux. They are bursting at the seams with able PKers.

So, this is a good time to remind everyone: as soon as Thompson came to the Flyers the previous season, he LED all forwards on the team in average PK ice time — regular season and penalty kill. That is just nauseating to think about, if they want him as starting 4C. He was used as the 4th PKer for Winnipeg this season, and predictably he was still their worst in chance suppression. Because he simply cannot skate in this age of high pressure PKing. That was at age 35…..hello, age 37!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That was for both of them, using up the remaining cap room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad