Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson to Flyers: 1 year, $800k (Thread Started 7/28/21)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You’re gonna fill out the bottom six with nine bodies during the year. The schedules have never been crazier than the last few seasons. It’s gonna be a mix of promising kids and known quantity veterans in those final spots.

I still think they need one more forward in the 1,5 Million range. Gonna check who Hayes played with in junior and other former MN players too to see who that could be. Fletch we all love every thing you do

A ) No they definitely do not

1. Giroux
  2. Couturier
  3. Konecny
  4. Hayes
  5. Farabee
  6. Atkinson
  7. Laughton
  8. JVR
  9. Lindblom
  10. Allison
  11. Frost
  12. Aube-Kubel
  13. Laczynski
  14. Thompson
  15. Cates

B) They won't have the cap space once they re-sign Hart and Sanheim.

Philadelphia Flyers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
can't wait until the team Twitter account starts lashing out about stuff like this.
The conversation I had with my Rep was a fun one as he knew he was fighting a losing battle trying to get me back. He started at the full season then backed down to a partial then thanked me for my time after about 3 minutes. He called a few more times and it went right to voice mail then another guy had called a few times again I sent the call right to voice mail. Now the calls have stopped but I get the emails.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You can tell the people who watch the games and the people who listen to Keith Jones.

Otoh...

upload_2021-7-20_20-5-0-png.454307

When you get the chance to roster four of the worst dozen players over the last decade, you gotta do it.​

Bump.

1 out. 2 in.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland

Depends whether these dudes bet on themselves or not. Gotta think the organization is moving on from Hart if the are really gonna increase the goal size down the road. He won’t be able to compete. And Sanheim hasn’t had PP time to jack his stats.

i like your List of forwards. The guy I want would pencil in around #10.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A ) No they definitely do not

1. Giroux
  2. Couturier
  3. Konecny
  4. Hayes
  5. Farabee
  6. Atkinson
  7. Laughton
  8. JVR
  9. Lindblom
  10. Allison
  11. Frost
  12. Aube-Kubel
  13. Laczynski
  14. Thompson
  15. Cates

Philadelphia Flyers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
You also don’t need 15 forwards.

If they keep Hart + Sanheim at around $8m, then there’s in around $2m to do something. My guess is another forward comes in on PTO.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
09814FD4-9B51-41F1-940C-DA9820CFB7FE.jpeg

Charlie O….WYD? He says it again later on in his free agency recap piece. There is zero eye-test analysis that he uses to back this up. There’s a place and time to utilize analytics (pretty much always). However, if you’re gonna say a player is good defensively, bring me video and state your case as to what the player does specifically to be good defensively.

Reactions: pit and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
View attachment 457888

Charlie O….WYD? He says it again later on in his free agency recap piece. There is zero eye-test analysis that he uses to back this up. There’s a place and time to utilize analytics (pretty much always). However, if you’re gonna say a player is good defensively, bring me video and state your case as to what the player does specifically to be good defensively.

Its shorthand for players with zero offensive capability that dinosaur coachs match up against offensive players. How well they do in those situations doesnt matter.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You also don’t need 15 forwards.

If they keep Hart + Sanheim at around $8m, then there’s in around $2m to do something. My guess is another forward comes in on PTO.

$8m takes them right to the cap ceiling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Any 23 man roster will be just under the cap ceiling if Hart and Sanheim combine for $8m. They can have fewer players than 23, of course, but that’s asking for trouble IMO. There will be injuries and Covid issues.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, so. Perrault is from Quebec province, think he wanted to go from Winnipeg to Philly when there was an opening in Montreal?

People assume just because a player is available, he's available to come here. Of course, if the Flyers offered $2M that might change his mind, but since he's a winger, not a center, it would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

I'm pretty sure Fletcher had feelers out on a lot of guys, knew what they were asking and where was their desired destinations.
The problem is in a flat cap world, most decisions are bad - do you want quality depth or to sign Sanheim to a long-term deal?
Because they can probably get Hart on a 2 year bridge and Sanheim on a 6 year contract for $7-7.5M.
Which precluded contracts much more than minimum wage.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Montreal has had a good offseason minus the scumbag draft pick.

Yeah they’ve done relatively well.

They let go of Tatar. He’s had a few recent rough playoff runs. So that’s damaged his reputation but probably guy that could be picked up for real cheap as a top nine steal for somebody out there (not saying the Flyers).

E7fV96bVgAELc1R

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't have a problem with Thompson as a 13th forward or even 4C. He's a good locker room guy and he will play his role well. Despite a constant narrative on this board of ''just insert random young guy into this spot'' you need gritty veterans like with experience who know and play their role.

The problem I have with this deal is that it was pointless unless he was strictly brought in as the 13th forward and they sign someone else. You saw already on day two a player like Perreault sign for one year 1 million. There will be other players like this who are clearly better than Thompson who will get squeezed and have to take similar deals. Why not just wait and get someone like that instead. As far as I know Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Stepan, and Brassard are all left at C, as well as Ryan, Ritchie, Kase, and Galchenyuk at wing.

Not sure if Perreault would have had interest in coming here but getting him for one year 1 million was a great move by Montreal.

Reactions: Math the wild rose

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I don't have a problem with Thompson as a 13th forward or even 4C. He's a good locker room guy and he will play his role well. Despite a constant narrative on this board of ''just insert random young guy into this spot'' you need gritty veterans like with experience who know and play their role.

The problem I have with this deal is that it was pointless unless he was strictly brought in as the 13th forward and they sign someone else. You saw already on day two a player like Perreault sign for one year 1 million. There will be other players like this who are clearly better than Thompson who will get squeezed and have to take similar deals. Why not just wait and get someone like that instead. As far as I know Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Stepan, and Brassard are all left at C, as well as Ryan, Ritchie, Kase, and Galchenyuk at wing.

Not sure if Perreault would have had interest in coming here but getting him for one year 1 million was a great move by Montreal.

congrats, you only missed "glueguy" in order to complete the triumverate of terms to describe a truely shit player...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad