Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson re-signs (one-year, one-way contract)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Was 20-year old Mete not playing top pairing down the stretch? KK was the youngest kid in the league, scratching him a few times doesn't mean they never trust the youngsters.
Mete was sheltered somewhat by being paired with Weber....KK was never given a top 6 role with good wingers...we could need a goal and CJ has Nate Thompson out there...we have the bring dem along slowly attitude, meanwhile kids on other teams are being used, and it's working!!

As Mike Trout says...........just let the kids play!!

Reactions: LaP

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Thompson is a quality 4th center, I have no problem with this whatsoever. The most interesting development with this is... does this mean we are moving Domi to the wing? Because between Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Thompson, something has to give at center. I'm sure it'll shake itself out during camp, but something to keep an eye on.

If I'm being honest, I think Kotkaniemi moves to the wing.

Edit: I think Domi stays as 1st line, Danault 2nd, Poehling 3rd (until he can bump Danault) and Nate on the 4th.

Injuries and Kotkaniemi moves into a slot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Seems to me this is exactly when you want to get these types of low cost deals out of the way.
Thompson at 1 millions is not really low cost. If it was Thompson would have waited july 1st to get something better. The reason he signed is because he was not confident he could get a deal done for more money and he did not want to take the risk to not be signed for next season.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Thompson at 1 millions is not really low cost. If it was Thompson would have waited july 1st to get something better. The reason he signed is because he was not confident he could get a deal done for more money and he did not want to take the risk to not be signed for next season.

Or because like he said himself he wants to stay here because he liked the team and chemistry. Also, he waived his NTC to come here...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Or because like he said himself he wants to stay here because he liked the team and chemistry. Also, he waived his NTC to come here...

Oh come on really? Do you really think a vet like Thompson would leave money on the table on possibly his last contract because he likes it here.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I believe the minimum NHL salary is 750K...so yes, it is low cost.

We're talking about 1M on a salary cap per team of 83M

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh come on really? Do you really think a vet like Thompson would leave money on the table on possibly his last contract because he likes it here.
Thompson wanted to stay with the Habs...the Habs wanted to re-sign Thompson

They got together and agreed on a 1yr, 1M deal.

what is the issue exactly?

Reactions: Tyson

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

I think at one point, you sign where you like to play. You think Bergevin is stupid with his moves so he signed a useless Thompson that nobody would have signed on July 1st. It helps your Bergevin bashing.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I would be putting more priority on Leks and Armia.........no surprise though that MB puts his priority on a 13th forward, and a 6-7 dman.

There's no priority. You think he works one contract at the time ? Thompson and Folin were easy because they accepted one year deals. The rest (Armia, Lehkonen, Weal and Benn) are complicated a little bit.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would be putting more priority on Leks and Armia.........no surprise though that MB puts his priority on a 13th forward, and a 6-7 dman.
Lehkonen & Armia are RFA's...

Thompson & Folin were pending UFA's, who were low costs, easy-to-do contracts.

If both team and the players involved, Thompson/Folin, wanted to return to the team...doesn't it make sense to get them out of the way before focusing on more complex contracts???

I mean, it's April...this is when you want to do the "house cleaning" type of moves before the real offseason work begins.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Lehkonen & Armia are RFA's...

Thompson & Folin were pending UFA's, who were low costs, easy-to-do contracts.

If both team and the players involved, Thompson/Folin, wanted to return to the team...doesn't it make sense to get them out of the way before focusing on more complex contracts???

I mean, it's April...this is when you want to do the "house cleaning" type of moves before the real offseason work begins.

Agree. The only easy contract that's remaining is Scott Walford...

Hudon, Reilly, McCarron, Audette, Shinkaruk and Lernout will not be tendered IMO. Doesn't mean they will not come back but I guess we will try to re-signed Hudon (2way) and McCarron (lower cap hit).

Reactions: 417

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
No need to defend Bergevin with that move.

No need to attack Bergevin with that move.

Good Vet, played great, want to play here, accept his role.

Thompson won’t still ice time unless the top 9 doesn't do theirs job.

Thompson won’t still ice time to rookie. If they are better 4th line player...they will earn their spot. Thompson will sit and help the kid.

The bashing here is hilarious. It’s like we just signed Alzner all over again...really ... 1 year 1 million.

Reactions: hey and habergeon

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We are surely going to miss out on signing them, because Bergevin diverted his attention to Folin and Thompson. They are as good as gone. Is that what you're trying to say to us?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
1y 1m, are people really crying about this?
Yeah. Apparently people expect Bergevin to stalk Panarin in Boston, talking him into signing a contract with us. Signing Folin and Thompson is a proof that he's not doing that. Also, he cannot possibly negotiate simultaneously with our RFA's, because reasons.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah. Apparently people expect Bergevin to stalk Panarin in Boston, talking him into signing a contract with us. Signing Folin and Thompson is a proof that he's not doing that. Also, he cannot possibly negotiate simultaneously with our RFA's, because reasons.
The Habs are the only team whose not big game hunting in April.

Reactions: Archijerej

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There's no priority. You think he works one contract at the time ? Thompson and Folin were easy because they accepted one year deals. The rest (Armia, Lehkonen, Weal and Benn) are complicated a little bit.
GM's don't have priorities? OK, sure..........might explain MB being referred to as a clown...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->