Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson obtained from Montreal for ‘21 5th

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Which is why it's so maddening

Exactly. A half of a decade of suffering to start making moves like this at exactly the time when they finally have high end kids and they need to groom them for the future.

They are entering a short window where the older players are still effective but the kids will likely have to be the driving force of a cup winning team. They have to bring them up to speed as quickly as possible even at the expense of this year, not that these moves are particularly impactful anyways.

All this move does is give Dave Scott the impression his job is a little safer.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anything that happens this year is a bonus. Everything is geared towards next year. All they should care about is getting into the playoffs and trying to win a round with the young kids to get them a taste of playoff hockey.

These sort of moves that prevent any young player from getting playoff experience for a player that in all likeliness wont be here next year are only about trying to sell tickets and making playoff revenue.

People have just lost patience at the last minute and are too focused on this year.

Whether these are improvements are not. It's the wrong process to follow at the end.

Tell it to Giroux.
He's not playing to nursemaid a 19 and 20 year old.
He's playing to win.

People act as if we traded Farabee and Frost for Grant and Thompson, that is, getting these two precludes playing the kids.

We ADDED these two, and that allows AV to choose from 15 forwards, including 3 rookies with extensive NHL experience this season.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Tell it to Giroux.
He's not playing to nursemaid a 19 and 20 year old.
He's playing to win.

People act as if we traded Farabee and Frost for Grant and Thompson, that is, getting these two precludes playing the kids.

We ADDED these two, and that allows AV to choose from 15 forwards, including 3 rookies with extensive NHL experience this season.

Exactly...… when the hell do they actually try to win instead of developing. #28 and #93 do NOT agree w/ this board wit the idea of : "let's play the kids and see what happens". Look at the Blues last year.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Anything that happens this year is a bonus. Everything is geared towards next year. All they should care about is getting into the playoffs and trying to win a round with the young kids to get them a taste of playoff hockey.

These sort of moves that prevent any young player from getting playoff experience for a player that in all likeliness wont be here next year are only about trying to sell tickets and making playoff revenue.

People have just lost patience at the last minute and are too focused on this year.

Whether these are improvements are not. It's the wrong process to follow at the end.

You go tell Giroux and Voracek that this year doesn't mean shit. WTF is wrong with you guys? Did you see the NHL last year? The Blues won the Cup after being in last place in Jan. Carter Hart is capable of getting hot and the Flyers D Corps is as good at moving the puck as any in the NHL. Farabee and Frost were both given chances to produce....they weren't ready like NAK was. Next year...Farabee will hopefully be over 170lbs and more determined and Frost will get used to NHL speed.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I'm sure Giroux and Voracek envisioned something a little different than Nate Thompson at the deadline.

if you listen to Giroux; he was happy that no one was moved. He didn't want any players moved so getting two vets for low draft picks is exactly what Giroux wanted. And he isn't pining for Farabee; the team saw him struggle also.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
A lot of people seem to think managing the roster is exactly like trading stocks.

Buy low, sell high.

That’s certainly an element.

But it glosses over that you’re dealing with humans, & that the #1 goal is to win the Cup, not just shuffle assets.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This thing we do where we read into locker room stuff and project our thoughts in is creepy. I don't mean wanting the team to add players or anything. Of course players want to win every year.

More like that weird angle from a few years ago of players not liking Steve Mason as a person because of things people read into post-game interviews. Creepy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This last page has to challenge for worst posts on this entire site, right?

Suggesting that Giroux and Jake don't want the superior players up? Based on literally nothing? :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am extremely jealous you missed the Sarah Baicker appearance. I know this because it's impossible to think anything could be worse.
Yeah, I wasn't here for that. :laugh: Heard it referenced a few times though.

But based on what I've seen on this site, Mensa members telling us what Giroux and Voracek think about their rookie teammates (with literally nothing to support it) has to be pretty near the top.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s like me putting any stock into the players & coaches trying to publicly sell Andrew MacDonald as a good player to outside all these years.

Whether they truly believed the shit they said it really didn’t matter to me regardless from any angle.
Right. And this is even more hilarious because there aren't even any quotes about Farabee/Frost that they're using as proof. :laugh:

This is 100% imaginary. Not even a discussion about whether or not the players really meant what they said.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
You go tell Giroux and Voracek that this year doesn't mean shit. WTF is wrong with you guys? Did you see the NHL last year? The Blues won the Cup after being in last place in Jan. Carter Hart is capable of getting hot and the Flyers D Corps is as good at moving the puck as any in the NHL. Farabee and Frost were both given chances to produce....they weren't ready like NAK was. Next year...Farabee will hopefully be over 170lbs and more determined and Frost will get used to NHL speed.

If they go on a run this year great. It's also not the end of the world if they don't.

You tell G and V that they aren't going to get all the support they want this year. But next year when all the key pieces are in place you start making moves to maximize this teams shot.

And that Blues team was soaked in playoff experience. I do think that does make a difference.

It's so odd having people tout playoff experience when it comes to additions but then also be so unconcerned about getting future corner stones playoff experience.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
if you listen to Giroux; he was happy that no one was moved. He didn't want any players moved so getting two vets for low draft picks is exactly what Giroux wanted. And he isn't pining for Farabee; the team saw him struggle also.
Well this is a lie.

Giroux not wanting anyone moved does NOT mean Giroux got what he wanted by adding two low cost vets. And it's stupid to say so.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Thompson will prove to be the better acquisition, even though they got him for less.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well this is a lie.

Giroux not wanting anyone moved does NOT mean Giroux got what he wanted by adding two low cost vets. And it's stupid to say so.

Its crazy how many of the people on these forums apparently are best friends with the players and feel comfortable enough sharing their intimate thoughts these days.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine telling people what the players were thinking, based on literally nothing. :laugh:

"Giroux said he doesn't want anyone to get traded so that means he thinks that Stewart was a great addition by Fletcher and wants him on the top line!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad