Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson & 5th round pick 2019 traded to MTL for 4th round pick 2019

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
7 years ago it was a different NHL. Habs had four very good seasons in those six.
No it wasn't. The league has been moving in that direction for a while, and we had players that also better fit that mold back then. We had more agile and quick players who could move the puck well, hence, all the hate on Therrien and how he underutilized his roster by trying to make them play a stupid old dump and chase style. Bergevin obliged and made the team worse.

Always some slower learners though..

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
SChlemko was not slow. Just bad. And very often injured. + That guy did not want to play for Montreal at all.

Schlemko was just a trap. SJ were realy full of good dmen that Vegas could claimed. Vegas has fallen in the trap and we did after. Somewhere, a lot of people were wrong and misjudged David. We can blame Bergevin about that one, but he wasnt alone in the boat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Schlemko was just a trap. SJ were realy full of good dmen that Vegas could claimed. Vegas has fallen in the trap and we did after. Somewhere, a lot of people were wrong and misjudged David. We can blame Bergevin about that one, but he wasnt alone in the boat.

I don't know about that.

MB is supposed to be a great evaluator of talent. In Schlemko, he was dealing with a known quantity not just some raw prospect.

MB went so far as to affirm that Schlemko would be a first pairing D partner for Weber. Schlemko was part of that D that he claimed was "better than last year".

I think he flubbed on Schlemko in terms of his evaluation. Luckily, he did not overpay for him.

On to the next project.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
hockey30-2019-02-11-%C3%A0-20.04.59.png

According to this, Thompson is only incrementally better than Shampoo on faceoff percentage. Good thing there are other aspects to Thompson's game.

Well, first off 53 and 50 is a a bit bigger than incrementally when it comes to face off% lol, and secondly, we cant JUST go off that %, especially since people take WAY more face offs than others, most notably someone like Philip Danault, whos 53% might place him lower than some, but if you look here :
2018-19 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Faceoffs - National Hockey League - ESPN

You'll notice Danault is among top 5 most face offs taken in the NHL with 1113, and has won a LOT of them, where as someone like Chaput has taken only 244.. 124 wins..120 loss..

Thompson clocks in with 495 face offs taken, 264 wins at 53%
Nate Thompson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
career shows hes been nothing but solid on the dot

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thompson clocks in with 495 face offs taken, 264 wins at 53%
Nate Thompson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
career shows hes been nothing but solid on the dot

I guess they should have added an asterisk on that graphic.

This is key for me, from your post -- Thompson's track record and how his success in the faceoff circle is legit.

Last edited:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
This year's moves looks like 2015's.

Torrey Mitchell (4th line center) for a 7th round pick and Jack Nevins is comparable to Nate Thompson for 15 ranks of the draft.

Bryan Flynn for a 5th round pick = Weise for Schlemko (I prefer this year's trade).

Now we need our Jeff Petry....

Reactions: Victorius

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This year's moves looks like 2015's.

Torrey Mitchell (4th line center) for a 7th round pick and Jack Nevins is comparable to Nate Thompson for 15 ranks of the draft.

Bryan Flynn for a 5th round pick = Weise for Schlemko (I prefer this year's trade).

Now we need our Jeff Petry....
Let's repeat what we've done when we were outclassed and kicked out of the 2nd round...:sarcasm:

Sadly the Petry of this year was moved to Toronto. Our best bet is for Columbus to drop outside the POs and move Panarin to us. Outside of that...not sure anything else will matter.

Jul 6, 2016
Nowadays, a good 4th line is required to have in this fast pace new NHL. These guys play around 10 minutes instead of the old goons line which we playing less than 8 min. per game.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since the team is built on speed, I'd be curious to know how much of it was lost, if any, with the replacement of Chaput and Agostino by Thompson and Weise?

I totally understand that Thompson and Weise bring other elements that Chaput and Agostino don't have or didn't show regularly.

Just on the basis of speed -- are the Habs a tad slower on their 4th line? Just focusing on those 2 players and not who else may end up playing with them once Byron returns.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Since the team is built on speed, I'd be curious to know how much of it was lost, if any, with the replacement of Chaput and Agostino by Thompson and Weise?

I totally understand that Thompson and Weise bring other elements that Chaput and Agostino don't have or didn't show regularly.

Just on the basis of speed -- are the Habs a tad slower on their 4th line? Just focusing on those 2 players and not who else may end up playing with them once Byron returns.
I'd say it's either equal or we've gained a little, since Weise is actually pretty fast. Neither Chaput nor Agostino were better than average in that department. And unless he's really lost a step since I last saw him, Thompson is perfectly average skating wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't know about that.

MB is supposed to be a great evaluator of talent. In Schlemko, he was dealing with a known quantity not just some raw prospect.

MB went so far as to affirm that Schlemko would be a first pairing D partner for Weber. Schlemko was part of that D that he claimed was "better than last year".

I think he flubbed on Schlemko in terms of his evaluation. Luckily, he did not overpay for him.

On to the next project.

To be fair, there was a general opinion that Schlemko was a good player. He was part of what was considered by the Sharks fans as one of the best third pairings in the NHL. And he could skate back then.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be fair, there was a general opinion that Schlemko was a good player. He was part of what was considered by the Sharks fans as one of the best third pairings in the NHL. And he could skate back then.

To be even more fair, however, MB continued to make an exaggerated positive evaluation of Schlemko, after acquiring him. He said he would be a first pairing D and Schlemko did not have that kind of track record. He doubled down by saying that the D was better than the year before, with Schlemko being a key part of it in his estimation. Even if one argues that there Schlemko was positively viewed by some when he was acquired, the fact remains that even after Schlemko did nothing to play at those lofty anticipated levels, MB kept propping him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
King, Ott and Martinsen were not good deadline deals, we got the boot first round. We needed scoring, we got scrubs. Alzner and Shlemko were not good moves. Agostino and Chaput were busts. Montreals scouting staff in the west is among the worst in the league, Crawford should have been canned years ago.

Speaking of Martinsen, the first game he played was against the Rangers he was hitting everything that moved, it was a beauty to behold. And then for whatever reasons it just stopped. This is a bigger mystery than the existance of the UFOs. I don't know if he they told him to stop hitting whatever but it was strange.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Speaking of Martinsen, the first game he played was against the Rangers he was hitting everything that moved, it was a beauty to behold. And then for whatever reasons it just stopped. This is a bigger mystery than the existance of the UFOs. I don't know if he they told him to stop hitting whatever but it was strange.

I think that sums up his pro career, like Renee Bourque. They refuse to do the things that make them impactful players.

Reactions: Kimota and montreal

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

You would think the Habs were getting a real energy guy when watching Martinsen in his first game. It truly baffles me that he stopped that style afterwards. That rangers game was quite misleading through. Martinsen looked good, Ott looked like he could handle his 4th line role and King didnt look useless. It looked like we had the making of a physical team who could score enough to just win games.

Of course the playoffs hit and things hit the fan.

Reactions: Kimota and montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad