Friedman: Nate Schmidt arbitration numbers

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schmidt could take 1 + 1 year which would take him to UFA too. He might not want to stay longer than 2 years.
Sure he could. But that doesn't change his trade value. Him having a 1yr contract where he's still an RFA is more valuable to another team then him having a 2 yr deal where he's a FA at the end of it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McPhee doesn't really have a choice here. If Schmidt wants to reach UFA status, it's going to happen either way. On a one year deal, Schmidt simply elects arbitration again next off-season.

GM has all the power to choose this. Sure he can't control whether Schmidt wants to stay and whether he goes to arbitration again next summer... But from a pure value POV, NS on a 1 yr deal where he's still an RFA trumps NS on a 2 yr deal where he becomes a UFA. And if NS does go to arb again next summer, so be it - deal with it then. Because unless he has an absolute killer season, he won't be getting a ton.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Sure he could. But that doesn't change his trade value. Him having a 1yr contract where he's still an RFA is more valuable to another team then him having a 2 yr deal where he's a FA at the end of it.

Vegas might try to keep Schmidt and then 2 years are cheaper.
It seems Vegas is a budget team and won't spend to the cap, so money might be important to them.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the player files for arbitration, the team picks whether it is a 1 or 2 year deal.
If the team files for arbitration, the players picks whether it is a 1 or two year deal.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If the team files for arbitration, the players picks whether it is a 1 or two year deal.

I thought it could only be 2 years for team elected arbitration.
See Bernier in TOR who signed before the award but the talk was always only about 2 years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the player files for arbitration, the team picks whether it is a 1 or 2 year deal.

Correct - assuming the player has 2 RFA years left. If he only has 1 RFA year left, he can only get a 1 yr award.

I thought it could only be 2 years for team elected arbitration.
See Bernier in TOR who signed before the award but the talk was always only about 2 years.

Nope. If the player chooses to go to arb, the team gets to choose the term. If the team takes the player to arb, the player chooses the term.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Vegas might try to keep Schmidt and then 2 years are cheaper.
It seems Vegas is a budget team and won't spend to the cap, so money might be important to them.

Which would be the exact opposite of everything said and done by GM.

If they're looking to keep NS, giving him a contract that takes him to FA certainly isn't the way to do it. Now he won't have to decide anything for 2 years, and then can base any decision on what LV and other teams will give him. Had they giving him a 1 yr deal, he would have had a yr to get used to LV, the team, the coach and all that... then they could have tried to sign him to a longer term contract, without having to bid against other teams.

With this contract, I bet he doesn't even finish it in LV. And if he somehow does that he doesn't sign an extension there.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Any way Nate gets moved? i could see a few team who are "going for it" that would love to get a top4 capable guy for 2x2.5ish on their 3rd pair who can play up the lineup if there are any major injuries.

Edit: I could also see a team willing to move multiple pieces for him where it includes moving out more salary.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

With the caveat that neither can select 2 years if the player is scheduled to be a UFA in 1 year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Any way Nate gets moved? i could see a few team who are "going for it" that would love to get a top4 capable guy for 2x2.5ish on their 3rd pair who can play up the lineup if there are any major injuries.

Edit: I could also see a team willing to move multiple pieces for him where it includes moving out more salary.

If it's a two year deal I could see him being moved at next years deadline. Possibly this year if the price is right. Vegas lacks good defence, even though they'll likely be tanking its smart to keep a few decent guys around

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Really depends on how the management feels about chances of him staying moving forward. At this point it's impossible to say, the players haven't even played a single game for Vegas.

For example, some guys might be skeptical now but end up loving it in Vegas and if they play well those are the guys you want to try to keep.

But let's say Schmidt plays well in the 1st half, GMGM starts negotiations about a contract extension and it doesn't really go anywhere, he might just end up trading him at the deadline.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

But if he plays top 2/4 minutes and puts up any half decent numbers/holds his own they will be able to sell him as a top 4 D on a bargain contract (ie $2m). Vegas might get more value through that 2 year cheap deal than pumping up and trying to trade him as a 1 year RFA left looking for $4m+ long term deal/arbitration risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad