Nasty Mirasty and Yabo to the KHL

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like how he openly admits that the outcome of the game doesn't matter, it's all about the fights. Definitely a joke of a team, playing a completely different sport from everyone else.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Are MacNeill or Huberdeau suited to play penalty kill in the KHL? MacNeill would probably start the season in the MHL but, if he outplays the other centers on the MHL team, he will get a few games on the big team. However, Huberdeau would clearly be placed on the top line of the big team right off the bat.

Neither will sign there. Drafting players like them, especially as early as Huberdeau was picked, is just another way Vityaz Chehkov mismanages one of the few ways to improve their team.

Hubderdeau's agent, a big doucher Allan Walsh, even tweeted after he was drafted basically mocking the pick. (I don't have the quote but he basically said how Vityaz obviously wasn't on the same page as Huberdeau and himself.)

If drafting high profile guys, like McNeil and Huberdeau, ends up paying off, which again it won't, it'll because those guys bust out stateside and have to go overseas to get better pay. I guess it's a pretty progressive step for them relative to the rest of the joke their franchise is, but it just seems like a waste of a very high pick. CSKA has shown what good drafting can produce, how many of their young guys would immediately sneak into Vityaz's top spots?

It just blows my mind how one organization can fail so miserably in the transfer market, the already marginalized KHL draft, and on the ice to top it all off. What other European clubs could get away with signing import players to big money just to have them say they don't care about the game or if they win? Oh Vityaz, maybe next year they'll give Boulerice a call, I'm sure it'd beat his Wilkes-Barre paycheck.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Neither will sign there. Drafting players like them, especially as early as Huberdeau was picked, is just another way Vityaz Chehkov mismanages one of the few ways to improve their team.

Hubderdeau's agent, a big doucher Allan Walsh, even tweeted after he was drafted basically mocking the pick. (I don't have the quote but he basically said how Vityaz obviously wasn't on the same page as Huberdeau and himself.)

If drafting high profile guys, like McNeil and Huberdeau, ends up paying off, which again it won't, it'll because those guys bust out stateside and have to go overseas to get better pay. I guess it's a pretty progressive step for them relative to the rest of the joke their franchise is, but it just seems like a waste of a very high pick. CSKA has shown what good drafting can produce, how many of their young guys would immediately sneak into Vityaz's top spots?

It just blows my mind how one organization can fail so miserably in the transfer market, the already marginalized KHL draft, and on the ice to top it all off. What other European clubs could get away with signing import players to big money just to have them say they don't care about the game or if they win? Oh Vityaz, maybe next year they'll give Boulerice a call, I'm sure it'd beat his Wilkes-Barre paycheck.

Huberdeau was a waste of a lottery pick and likely would be until the NHL is locked out again. However, Dumba could be a bigger waste than McNeill at this point, simply because Dumba was a 3rd-rounder while McNeill was a 5th-rounder.

Still, either of these 3 players can actually play the game outside scrapping.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Huberdeau was a waste of a lottery pick and likely would be until the NHL is locked out again. However, Dumba could be a bigger waste than McNeill at this point, simply because Dumba was a 3rd-rounder while McNeill was a 5th-rounder.

Still, either of these 3 players can actually play the game outside scrapping.

Right but it doesn't matter much if they'll never come to the KHL. Those names are seemingly a step in the right direction for Vityaz but in reality it's far from it. It's lazily selecting kids who'll go in the first round in the NHL draft. I'd say look at what other teams who have had success in their KHL drafting and try to model after it. There's good reason no other teams are drafting Canadians, Vityaz isn't tapping into some new market or some ****. CSKA landed Kucherov and Grigorenko from wise drafting. Vityaz just seems so poorly run and these picks just add to it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Right but it doesn't matter much if they'll never come to the KHL. Those names are seemingly a step in the right direction for Vityaz but in reality it's far from it. It's lazily selecting kids who'll go in the first round in the NHL draft. I'd say look at what other teams who have had success in their KHL drafting and try to model after it. There's good reason no other teams are drafting Canadians, Vityaz isn't tapping into some new market or some ****. CSKA landed Kucherov and Grigorenko from wise drafting. Vityaz just seems so poorly run and these picks just add to it.

Sort of.
In practice, the KHL draft is kind of a joke. Teams really can't build from the draft.
I believe players like Grigorenko and Kucherov were protection picks (they were developed by CSKA).

Either way, I think Vityaz fully realizes a guy like Huberdeau has no intention of playing for them....it's PR on a throw-away pick. They could get a solid youth player but likely don't want to pay compensation for drafting a Russian.

They're a crap team anyhow.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Dvurechensky isn't any good then?

Well I live in Pennsylvania so I'm not sure how you'd expect me to answer that. Either way my point was it a plain waste of an asset, a very marginalized asset as Zine points out, when they're selecting Canadians who'll never report. If Dvurechensky's name was followed by ones of other talented European players then I wouldn't be saying any of this. The problem is it's lumped in names like Dumba and Huberdeau which is just ugly and stupid from a KHL perspective. More Dvurechensky's or even Jaskins/Vatanens/etc. who are more likely to ever see the league, and less Canadian lottery NHL picks is what I'm looking for. Having some talented Russian youth means they're not wholly incompetent, but it doesn't change the fact that their essentially wasting picks with their other selections. I don't know how movement of youth players works out of the KHL draft but if these players can be traded then if Vityaz is gonna burn picks on players they won't see, they may as well spend them on players who other teams would want. Tons of CHL teams pick a kid in their respective drafts simply because they know another team in their league wanted said player and they wanna squeeze some assets for them.

Bobby Blowhard

Dec 8, 2007
My guess is that the owners of Vityaz are taking the initiative to transform the KHL into a league with heavyweight fighting in order to add excitement to their game. Going pretty over the top but then again don't be surprised if other teams start signing their own nuclear warheads.

I don't agree with it but I really don't believe any GM or owner could be so out to lunch with the antics they are displaying. Their must be something behind the madness

VladNYC*

The last time you evoked the possibility of playing in the KHL yourself, you said that you could potentially crack Avtomobilist's roster. But, if you really were to play for Vityaz in Mirasty's stead, you could probably play on the top penalty kill line, be it as a D-man or as a forward.:)

LOL! At 38 I am probably a little too slow to play positional defense in the KHL. But you never know! Seeing guys like Mirasty getting ice time makes me wish I never left my hockey school to box. Some of my old teammates accomplished many great things in the hockey world. Knowing what they teach you in soviet hockey schools, and what our hockey is about, is why i know Vityaz doesn't give two ***** about hockey. They just want to put on a WWE, tough guy spectacle for their flat head ownership. They are playing down to the lowest denominator of Russian gobnik culture, which itself needs to be eradicated like a cancer.

I don't expect Yabo and Mirasty to last long in the KHL, one way or another.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
Well I live in Pennsylvania so I'm not sure how you'd expect me to answer that. Either way my point was it a plain waste of an asset, a very marginalized asset as Zine points out, when they're selecting Canadians who'll never report. If Dvurechensky's name was followed by ones of other talented European players then I wouldn't be saying any of this. The problem is it's lumped in names like Dumba and Huberdeau which is just ugly and stupid from a KHL perspective. More Dvurechensky's or even Jaskins/Vatanens/etc. who are more likely to ever see the league, and less Canadian lottery NHL picks is what I'm looking for. Having some talented Russian youth means they're not wholly incompetent, but it doesn't change the fact that their essentially wasting picks with their other selections. I don't know how movement of youth players works out of the KHL draft but if these players can be traded then if Vityaz is gonna burn picks on players they won't see, they may as well spend them on players who other teams would want. Tons of KHL teams pick a kid in their respective drafts simply because they know another team in their league wanted said player and they wanna squeeze some assets for them.

Yes, with Dvurechensky they have at least some youth to clean up their hockey with but Dvurechensky is actually Vityaz's only success in the trade market, not their only drafting success.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Sort of.
In practice, the KHL draft is kind of a joke.

Somewhat but it can be used to draft guys from teams with no affiliation with KHL... ie. Slepyshev going to Novokuznetsk in the draft is absolutely huge for them.

His Beardliness*

My guess is that the owners of Vityaz are taking the initiative to transform the KHL into a league with heavyweight fighting in order to add excitement to their game. Going pretty over the top but then again don't be surprised if other teams start signing their own nuclear warheads.

I don't agree with it but I really don't believe any GM or owner could be so out to lunch with the antics they are displaying. Their must be something behind the madness

I hope not. They are pathetic and should be severely punished.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Vlad, perhaps, if a more peaceful game is what you desire, you should head across the pond and offer your suggestions. Last I checked, fans walk out of blow out games in large numbers, not games with an edge. The club knows what kind of game the fans want, and that is why they have been importing the players they have. To wish injury to any player, like him/her or not, is not in good taste and uncalled for.
Have you had a chance to speak with either Mirasty or Yabo off the ice? Both are easily approached and will spend time talking about their roles in the game. Neither claims to be Gretzky, Jagr, or even Shanahan. They are paid to play a role and do so quite well.
As for your claim to want to return to the ice and show them you can score more points, by all means please do. Then try the style of game they play and offer to drop the gloves with either of them. Heck, you can even leave your full cage helmet, American football style pads, and any other type of protection you feel you might need to prevent the injury you may receive.
You talk the talk, go ahead and walk the walk. Otherwise, do not return to a subject area titled "Hockey Fights", instead post on the "Disney on Ice" area.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
If a brawl like the last two brawls against Omsk happened again, they will likely not be playing the season after the brawl.

By that I mean:

Every time I see this video I wish nothing short but the death of the KHL. This is a shame. A real shame.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
Every time I see this video I wish nothing short but the death of the KHL. This is a shame. A real shame.

Don't you mean "the death of Vityaz as a team" instead? Vityaz's ejection from the league would likely crack down on incidents of that type.

Oh, and in response to crunchrulz, perhaps Vlad would stomach the KHL becoming a more physical league, as long as the physical game is played responsibly, for an actual hockey purpose.

VladNYC*

Vlad, perhaps, if a more peaceful game is what you desire, you should head across the pond and offer your suggestions. Last I checked, fans walk out of blow out games in large numbers, not games with an edge. The club knows what kind of game the fans want, and that is why they have been importing the players they have. To wish injury to any player, like him/her or not, is not in good taste and uncalled for.
Have you had a chance to speak with either Mirasty or Yabo off the ice? Both are easily approached and will spend time talking about their roles in the game. Neither claims to be Gretzky, Jagr, or even Shanahan. They are paid to play a role and do so quite well.
As for your claim to want to return to the ice and show them you can score more points, by all means please do. Then try the style of game they play and offer to drop the gloves with either of them. Heck, you can even leave your full cage helmet, American football style pads, and any other type of protection you feel you might need to prevent the injury you may receive.
You talk the talk, go ahead and walk the walk. Otherwise, do not return to a subject area titled "Hockey Fights", instead post on the "Disney on Ice" area.

Listen man, there is nothing wrong with a physical play or fighting in hockey. But hockey fights need to be within the context of the game and not the game it self. That is what is happening in Vityaz. They aren't there for hockey. They are there to put on a circus for their fans. This team has been in last place every year the KHL has been around. Russian KHL teams are limited to 5 foreign players on their roster so you would think that they would use those few precious spots to get players that can actually help them win. You remember winning? It's the point of playing hockey in the first place and what does Vityaz do with those precious 5 roster spots? They get goons who can't help them win. They get goons that have no other goons to fight, well knowing that it will lead to a spectacle, instead of getting skilled NHLers, Ahlers, and European guys that will help them win. That isn't a logical move if your aim is to win hockey games. This has nothing to do with Disney on Ice or any other cliche ******** you are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->