Nasty Mirasty and Yabo to the KHL

straka91*

AHL lost some very entertaining fighters. Both to Vityaz.

http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2011...enforce_1.html

Eric Beman, agent for former Syracuse Crunch brawler Jon Mirasty, confirmed Saturday that a deal which will send Mirasty to Chekhov Vityaz of the KHL is officially done. Beman said the deal is for one year, at a salary well above the $90,000 he made with Syracuse last year. The money is tax-free, plus Mirasty gets living expenses. The contract was offered to Mirasty via The Sports Corporation/Optima World Sports.
"It's a family decision,'' Beman said Saturday night. "He's 29. He's got a wife, a kid on the way in October. The money far exceeds anything he'd make in the American Hockey League. If he does well, when it's time to renegotiate his contract over there, he's going to make a lot more money. When you get an opportunity to get a foot in the door, you've got to take it.''
Beman said two AHL teams offered him deals but he did not identify them. He said fellow heavyweight Jeremy Yablonski, a long-time foe and friend of Mirasty, is also signing with that team.
"The two of them have talked about playing on the same team before they retire, and that will make the transition easier,'' Beman said.
Last season, that team dressed Chris Simon, Josh Gratton, Brandon Sugden and Darcy Verot. Beman said he thinks Verot is on a year-long suspension, Gratton and Simon were traded and I'm not sure what Sugden's plans are.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I never really jumped on the Mirasty bandwagon. Yeah, he goes toe to toe and is short, but I'm just not a fan of him for some reason.

Sucks Yabo isn't gonna stay in North America. I'd love for him to sign with Albany :)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Vityaz Chekhov are an absolute disgrace to the sport, they seem to have found a niche providing nothing but goonery while the other KHL teams actually try to play hockey. I'm not convinced they're actually built to win hockey games.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Haha, as soon as I saw the title I knew who signed them.

They should just go all the way and sign Steve Bosse. He barely qualifies as a player, but it's not like they care about winning.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I went to high school with both back in Meadow Lake and hung out with Yabo quite a bit since his dad and mine were Legion buddies. I would imagine living in Russia won't be too big of a stretch from home for them...minus the language barrier of course....The bars there better stock up on Pilsner though.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Vityaz Chekhov is the weirdest hockey team on this planet. The owner sitting in his box, sporting wood as North American and Russian goons he buys beat the crap out of other teams.

straka91*

Vityaz's owner really loves the rough stuff. I wonder if he's Don Cherry's half-brother or something. I guess if it's selling tickets...

I heard the owners are a bunch of thugs so I guess it makes sense they ice rough teams. Atleast they actually got some decent enforcers this year.:laugh:. Verot, Gratton, and grandpa Simon is a disgrace lineup to "goonery" lol. Verot couldnt fight his way out of a paper bag when he was in N.A then was all badass when he went to Europe.:laugh:

Only Vityaz... but atleast their team is fun to watch:D.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Vityaz Chekhov are an absolute disgrace to the sport, they seem to have found a niche providing nothing but goonery while the other KHL teams actually try to play hockey. I'm not convinced they're actually built to win hockey games.

If Vityaz signed Huberdeau and McNeill in their stead then I would have believed that they would like to rebuild clean. They're also one of the younger teams in the KHL.

Also, there are home games where they don't even manage to sell 1,000 tickets (in an arena that can contain 2,000 or so)

They'll become 30-40 point players in the KHL.

Mirasty and Yablonski aren't even going to score 20 points in the KHL; the ones they are slated to replace, Sugden and Gratton (Gratton signed with Barys Astana, Sugden got his contract bought out before Verot was done serving his suspension) scored, on their best KHL years, 5-7 points or so. A 40-point player, in the KHL, would probably outscore every single Vityaz player. They already signed Tarnasky in to provide more than just thuggery.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I never really jumped on the Mirasty bandwagon. Yeah, he goes toe to toe and is short, but I'm just not a fan of him for some reason.

Sucks Yabo isn't gonna stay in North America. I'd love for him to sign with Albany :)

We got stuck with Mirasty for like 8-10 games last year. The guy was really a waste. Nobody picked a fight with him, but even more he wouldn't throw the body around or anything. I had to figure his AHL days were numbered and i'm sure no AA team wanted to waste the $$$ to sign him.

The best thing we got out of Mirasty was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcwB4YzkgA

We didn't see this one in person but I stumbled acrossed it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUbqUI7Eso&NR=1

Getting shoved into the bench by little Myles Stoesz :laugh:

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Based on Mirasty's skating ability I'll be surprised if he even puts up more than 10 points on the bigger ice surface.

While the above comment does sound crappy, good luck to a Flying Dust boy! :)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Based on Mirasty's skating ability I'll be surprised if he even puts up more than 10 points on the bigger ice surface.

While the above comment does sound crappy, good luck to a Flying Dust boy! :)
Considering he put up 7 points (and just 1 goal) in 182 career AHL games, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. He'll probably put up 300-500 PIMs per year like most Vityaz goons, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->