Nassau Coliseum FAQ/Visitor Info

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Headed to Barclays tonight for Iron Maiden. I'm sure this has been asked a few hundred times in the life of this thread but mobile browsing HF is kind of a pain.

A friend is looking for pizza recommendation in walking distance or within a few subway stops.

Up the Irons!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Headed to Barclays tonight for Iron Maiden. I'm sure this has been asked a few hundred times in the life of this thread but mobile browsing HF is kind of a pain.

A friend is looking for pizza recommendation in walking distance or within a few subway stops.

Up the Irons!
Patsy’s which is across the street from Barclays. Artichoke Pizza which is a few blocks down 5th Avenue. Those are the best in that area, imho.

Reactions: Bondurant

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Up the Irons!

Emily is on Fulton about a 10 minute walk from BC. Ironically, they may be best known for their burger - which they only have a limited number of each day - but their pizza is delicious as well.

About Us | Emily

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)

Up the Irons!

I just saw them in Charlotte Monday night!!! Sorry I can't help with the pizza recommendation but I felt like sharing. lol

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the recommendations. We ended up in Park Slope before Maiden and went to Di Fara's. The wait was insane but the pie was fantastic.

I've heard Barclays isn't the best arena for hockey but the venue itself is a nice place. Hoping to catch an Islanders game this season to see for my self.

Took a picture of Cup and retired number banners.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations. We ended up in Park Slope before Maiden and went to Di Fara's. The wait was insane but the pie was fantastic.

I've heard Barclays isn't the best arena for hockey but the venue itself is a nice place. Hoping to catch an Islanders game this season to see for my self.

Took a picture of Cup and retired number banners.
Don't think there's a DiFara's in Park Slope. Maybe you were in Williamsburg?

If you have the chance to make it out for a Coliseum game, you'll be happy you did - even with the commute from the city. Much more enjoyable. I'm not sure the best way to describe Barclays....it doesn't quite have a soul.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Don't think there's a DiFara's in Park Slope. Maybe you were in Williamsburg?

If you have the chance to make it out for a Coliseum game, you'll be happy you did - even with the commute from the city. Much more enjoyable. I'm not sure the best way to describe Barclays....it doesn't quite have a soul.

Think we were in Midwood. My phone was telling me we were in Park Slope. My location is slow to update at times.

We're planning on going to a game at Nassau Coliseum. Seems like the right choice for a true Islander experience. CBS is reporting all home games there next season. Is this true? Trying to find confirmation of which games are there if CBS has erred.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Think we were in Midwood. My phone was telling me we were in Park Slope. My location is slow to update at times.

We're planning on going to a game at Nassau Coliseum. Seems like the right choice for a true Islander experience. CBS is reporting all home games there next season. Is this true? Trying to find confirmation of which games are there if CBS has erred.
Nah - its a split....similar to this year. Check the Islanders website - they have the schedule with venues, listed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

You were in Midwood.

NYIguy

Mar 14, 2007
Plan to bring my daughter down from near Toronto to the coliseum for her first Islanders game for her 5th birthday. Did the same for my eldest daughter, but that was at Barclays 2015. (we beat nashville)
Looking for advice as I will be flying into JFK. Places to stay, where to eat near the arena, best place to buy her islanders gear etc.
Also if anyone wants to get rid of 2 seats for Apr 2 against Chicago please let me know.

Thanks

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
If you're coming into JFK and not renting a car, I suggest taking the AirTrain to Jamaica, then the LIRR to Mineola, and grabbing an Uber to the Marriott, and staying there. As it's across from the Coliseum, it will make gameday a breeze, and you may run into some Blackhawks there. As far as places to eat go, you've got tons of options, and can grab an Uber to Roosevelt Field Mall for food and shopping (though for Isles gear, the Coliseum may be your best bet. Modell's will be down Hempstead Turnpike from the hotel, and should have plenty of jerseys, hats and t-shirts.

NYIguy

Mar 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply darkhorse. Will look into the Marriott.
Is there enough to do for a day near the coliseum or is it better to head into Manhattan?

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Is there enough to do for a day near the coliseum or is it better to head into Manhattan?

Depends what your daughter is into. There are museums and shopping, local theaters, parks and places like Dave and Busters, but the city is definitely the touristy place to go. It'll be too early in the year for the beach or Adventureland.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
I am heading down for the home opener with my wife on the 4th (not taking kids haha), first time taking a game in at Nassau...what time do the tailgating festivities begin. Hoping to crash someone's party YES! YES! YES!

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Need to know whether (i) you're renting a car, and (ii) whether you're flying in on the day of the game or beforehand.

If you fly in, rent a car, and stay at the Marriott, there's plenty of things to do in Nassau County. The Nassau County Museum of art has excellent exhibits and is usually less crowded than the Manhattan Museums.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
If you're coming into JFK and not renting a car, I suggest taking the AirTrain to Jamaica, then the LIRR to Mineola, and grabbing an Uber to the Marriott, and staying there.

This is exactly what the wife and I did for a game last season and it worked perfectly. Pantano's on Hempstead Turnpike was a short walk for egg sandwiches in the morning, got beer for tailgating at the gas station on the walk back, and had pizza delivered to the hotel from Mille Grazie before we went into the game. Spent the rest of the morning/early afternoon walking around the various tailgates and taking in the atmosphere. Being at the hotel that's literally nextdoor to the barn is so convenient.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Depends what your daughter is into. There are museums and shopping, local theaters, parks and places like Dave and Busters, but the city is definitely the touristy place to go. It'll be too early in the year for the beach or Adventureland.

Just look up Museum Row. It's 5 minutes from the NVMC and Marriott. Long Island Children's Museum, Firefighters Museum , and Cradle of Aviation Museum . Cradle also has an IMAX Theater inside . These Museums are right next to each other . Maybe the hotel has a shuttle to drive you and pick you up later . Of course like DH says , Manhattan is the place for real entertainment . If you really want to impress your daughter see what's at Radio City . Maybe something she would enjoy . Right down the block from there is Saks 5th ave and all the fancy stores on 5th, FAO Schwartz toy store , Rock Center where the ice skating and Christmas Tree are . The ice skating should still be there when you go . You could spend a week in Manhattan and not see even close to everything . Maybe she could become a Rangers fan ? . Kidding . But maybe stay in Manhattan and just come out for the game . That's what Panarin will be doing that €|%}>%%^{!]*. Good Luck .

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
Coming from Canada on the 4th for the home opener, arriving late morning....where can my wife and I go before hand for drinks and food...and....tailgating...talk to me.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Coming from Canada on the 4th for the home opener, arriving late morning....where can my wife and I go before hand for drinks and food...and....tailgating...talk to me.

As this is the Brooklyn/Barclays thread, I just want to remind you that the Islanders home opener is at the Coliseum and not Barclays.

Having said that, your options for food and drinks in and around the Coliseum are pretty limited. You basically have the Marriott Hotel directly across from the Coliseum or the Coliseum itself. If you're driving down, then you have more options at your disposal, but there's nothing really that close (especially if you're drinking). But if you plan on tailgaiting, just buy a case of something and plastic cups. That's really all you need for that!

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As this is the Brooklyn/Barclays thread, I just want to remind you that the Islanders home opener is at the Coliseum and not Barclays.

Having said that, your options for food and drinks in and around the Coliseum are pretty limited. You basically have the Marriott Hotel directly across from the Coliseum or the Coliseum itself. If you're driving down, then you have more options at your disposal, but there's nothing really that close (especially if you're drinking). But if you plan on tailgaiting, just buy a case of something and plastic cups. That's really all you need for that!

I'll update the title, it's definitely outdated.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I haven't heard of any "Pay to Eat/Drink" tailgates at Islander games but I'm surprised they haven't popped up. There are a few at Jet games and they do a really good job. All you can eat - good food - and all you can drink - a number of different beers and some liquor - and they are pretty fun. A perfect option if you don't have the time, wherewithal or inclination to do the work yourself.

The Blue and Orange Army may be worthwhile to reach out to and ask if you can join with them. Or just show up and join - they seem like a friendly bunch.

HealsAndFlats

Oct 9, 2014
NJ
Going to the Coliseum for the columbus day game. My son wants to get there early to try and get a few autographs.. looking for info on both visitors and isles. i havent done this in awhile, do visiting players still typically walk from the Marriot to the coliseum? What about isles players, is it best to just hang outside at the players entrance driveway? Is pregame or postgame better/easier? Who's got the scoop? Would appreciate any tips, thanks!

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I'm on my way to the Coliseum to see the Dead and Company, is there a lot to park in for a quick getaway when the show is over?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm on my way to the Coliseum to see the Dead and Company, is there a lot to park in for a quick getaway when the show is over?

I've always parked by the fence by the North Eastern entrance/exit and get out real quick. It's a bit of a walk but it's well worth it to me.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad