Nassau Coliseum FAQ/Visitor Info

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
Thanks for that...another option is to stay in Brooklyn or Manhattan and commute?
For a visitor to the NYC area, Brooklyn would be a better option. Staying near the isolated Coliseum will totally impede your ability to enjoy the rest that New York has to offer. Any of the hotels around Barclays Center are smartly placed with robust transit to take you everywhere you would want to go in the NY area. The LIRR station at Barclays will transport you to the Coliseum in about an hour. The final 3 miles will be in a taxi from Westbury Station to the venue. Suggested hotels near Barclays:

• Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn
  • Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown
  • Hilton Brooklyn New York
  • New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge

Reactions: scottywiper

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for that...another option is to stay in Brooklyn or Manhattan and commute?
If you've never been to NYC, staying in Manhattan would be my recommendation. While Brooklyn is cool and has A LOT going on, Manhattan is Manhattan and where I would make by home base. 40 minute train ride to coliseum from Penn Station. And the cab ride obviously...

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
If you've never been to NYC, staying in Manhattan would be my recommendation. While Brooklyn is cool and has A LOT going on, Manhattan is Manhattan and where I would make by home base. 40 minute train ride to coliseum from Penn Station. And the cab ride obviously...

Agree with this recommendation. Obviously if there are things you'd like to do in Brooklyn it's easy to get there from Manhattan, too.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This.

Just don’t make the mistake that many travelers do of thinking you have to stay near Penn Station. You don’t. You can get to Penn Station from anywhere in the city easily so book a hotel based on every other consideration you may have (cost, other interests, etc), don’t worry about getting to the train to the game - it’s easy and safe.

And once you have your itinerary, I bet you can even find some folk on this board to head out to the game with.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Thanks for the feedback guys, that helps a hell of a lot. I have been to NY once, in Oct just gone, but my mate hasn't so he'll want to do a few touristy things while I am happy to see some NHL!

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Two things:

1) The guys selling pretzel's outside the arena on a shopping cart are going to love this.

2) I always thought that was an illegal practice and that companies must accept legal tender.

It's surprising because I see restaurants near me starting to do the opposite. After the meal the waitress said "this is something new we're doing, but here's your price if you pay with cash, and here's with card." Cash was the difference between 96 and something like 102, IIRC.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Guys... If I can get to Coliseum in October.... Any suggestions on where to sit? I'm happy to pay a premium to be near ice... Love to be right on glass...or am I actually better sitting somewhere else?
If near glass is best, how do you get tix near glass? Are they mainly for season ticket holders?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Guys... If I can get to Coliseum in October.... Any suggestions on where to sit? I'm happy to pay a premium to be near ice... Love to be right on glass...or am I actually better sitting somewhere else?
If near glass is best, how do you get tix near glass? Are they mainly for season ticket holders?

While you get the benefit of seeing the players up close and you can feel the boards shake whenever someone hits them, sitting right near the glass usually does not give you the best view/perspective of the game. It may be a personal preference but my favorite seats at the Coliseum are the middle section - now the 100s. The closer to Center Ice you get, the more expensive the seats will be but in general, the 100s have the best views. Bang for your buck, the lower 200s are also great.

To get both perspectives, look for seats in the 100s and go early for warmups where you can go down on the glass to watch.

As far as where to get them, Ticketmaster will have seats available either directly or resale or you can check Stubhub....There are tickets periodically being offered here as well so no real rush to buy them. Give it some time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
While you get the benefit of seeing the players up close and you can feel the boards shake whenever someone hits them, sitting right near the glass usually does not give you the best view/perspective of the game. It may be a personal preference but my favorite seats at the Coliseum are the middle section - now the 100s. The closer to Center Ice you get, the more expensive the seats will be but in general, the 100s have the best views. Bang for your buck, the lower 200s are also great.

To get both perspectives, look for seats in the 100s and go early for warmups where you can go down on the glass to watch.

As far as where to get them, Ticketmaster will have seats available either directly or resale or you can check Stubhub....There are tickets periodically being offered here as well so no real rush to buy them. Give it some time.

This is correct about the best seats. Right on the glass aren't the best seats to have if you actually want to see the game, though it's still pretty cool when the action is really close. I'll just add that Seat Geek and Tick Pick are two alternatives to Stubhub for secondary market tickets.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
So, for the games at Coliseum on Oct 12 and 14 what's the best way to get tickets? Is Stubhub an option? Any seating areas best for the Coliseum experience?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So, for the games at Coliseum on Oct 12 and 14 what's the best way to get tickets? Is Stubhub an option? Any seating areas best for the Coliseum experience?

The 100's at center ice, just above the glass are the best seats you can get in the building. The games are against the Panthers and Blues, and I don't expect either to attract an absurd amount of people like a rivalry game might. The price on the secondary market will be impacted by how the team does in the summer and how well they are playing out of the gate. Hard to predict either at this point.

mervincm

Sep 12, 2008
Edmonton native here. I just booked a week in New York to coincide with the Oilers swing through. My wife and I are looking to attend to all three games (OCT8 7pm NYI@Barclays, Oct10 7pm NJD, and OCT12 at MSG) She is arranging the flights and hotel, and I am responsible for the tickets!

Our current plan is to stay in Manhatten and then travel to each game, public transit, I have no desire to drive/park a rental. I would appreciate some honest feedback and assistance to fine-tune the plan.

Hotel: not looking for Las Vegas glitz here. New and shiny is of no interest to us. Generic boring buildings that could be in any town also, not interested. An old art deco dame, perhaps past her best days is what we are looking for. clean room in a cool building, at a fair rate. a nice view and walking distance to good food, trains, all in reasonable safety. A reasonable path to all three venues (MSG, Barclay, and Prudential Centre) As an example of what we like, last year we stayed 4 nights at the Roosevelt hotel (45 st and madison avenue) last December and it was excellent. She booked us at Hotel Pennsylvania (7th Ave and west 33 st) this time as it is reasonable cost (cheap actually) and right next to Madison Square Garden.
Travel to all three venues looks excellent.
MSG we cross the street and done.
Prudential Centre we take the Newark transit train from Penn station (under MSG) to downtown Newark and walk 2 blocks.
Barclay Centre we walk to 34 st heritage sq, take one of 6 subway trains to Brooklyn Atlantic Ave Station, walk a block.

Any suggestions for a hotel that might be less modernized, could be more expensive, it would still need to be convenient to get to all three venues.

Do my venue travel plans all make sense?

Tickets

Barclay
Looking at stub hub, I see two very peculiar items. tons of 20$ tickets, and seats with views that look pretty bad. Is there really that many obstructed seats in this building? Anyway it seems that I should be able to get lower bowl seats between the goal lines in rows that appear to offer a great view (not too high, not too close to the glass) for 100-175 / seat. I am OK with that range, would prefer closer to 120... is anything between the blue lines and say row 8-18 a great view, or do I need to be careful? How big of a draw is the Oilers in Brooklyn? (easy now! team sucks but McDavid is other worldly worth the cost of my season's tickets) Do I need to buy tickets right away, or would last minute be my best bet to get the best seats for a fair price? Is there any chance that if I leave it to gameday there will be nothing available?

Predential Centre
sure it's not your building but I would appreciate feedback if you happen to know.
Looking at stub hub, I see a good selection of seats available with views that look good to great, it seems that I should be able to get lower bowl seats between the goal lines in rows that appear to offer a great view (not too high, not too close to the glass) for 80-175 / seat. looks to be a bit cheaper for decent seats than Barclay maybe even. I am OK with that range, would prefer closer to 120 again. Same questions here, is anything between the blue lines and say row 8-18 a great view, or do I need to be careful? How big of a draw is the Oilers in Newark? Do I need to buy tickets right away, or would last minute be my best bet to get best seats for a fair price? Is there any chance that if I leave it to gameday there will be nothing available?

MSG
again, not your building but
MSG is obviously a premium. Seriously more expensive 500-600 for lower bowl, between the blue lines. some upper level corner seats for 200ish that would do me fine. same questions here, any concerns about obstructed views that are not listed as such? Last minute a good idea for the best seats for the US$, any risk that there is nothing reasonable available if I wait till game day?

thanks in advance!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Hotel: not looking for Las Vegas glitz here. New and shiny is of no interest to us. Generic boring buildings that could be in any town also, not interested. An old art deco dame, perhaps past her best days is what we are looking for. clean room in a cool building, at a fair rate. a nice view and walking distance to good food, trains, all in reasonable safety. A reasonable path to all three venues (MSG, Barclay, and Prudential Centre) As an example of what we like, last year we stayed 4 nights at the Roosevelt hotel (45 st and madison avenue) last December and it was excellent. She booked us at Hotel Pennsylvania (7th Ave and west 33 st) this time as it is reasonable cost (cheap actually) and right next to Madison Square Garden.
Travel to all three venues looks excellent.
MSG we cross the street and done.
Prudential Centre we take the Newark transit train from Penn station (under MSG) to downtown Newark and walk 2 blocks.
Barclay Centre we walk to 34 st heritage sq, take one of 6 subway trains to Brooklyn Atlantic Ave Station, walk a block.

Any suggestions for a hotel that might be less modernized, could be more expensive, it would still need to be convenient to get to all three venues.

Do my venue travel plans all make sense?

Tickets

Barclay
Looking at stub hub, I see two very peculiar items. tons of 20$ tickets, and seats with views that look pretty bad. Is there really that many obstructed seats in this building? Anyway it seems that I should be able to get lower bowl seats between the goal lines in rows that appear to offer a great view (not too high, not too close to the glass) for 100-175 / seat. I am OK with that range, would prefer closer to 120... is anything between the blue lines and say row 8-18 a great view, or do I need to be careful? How big of a draw is the Oilers in Brooklyn? (easy now! team sucks but McDavid is other worldly worth the cost of my season's tickets) Do I need to buy tickets right away, or would last minute be my best bet to get the best seats for a fair price? Is there any chance that if I leave it to gameday there will be nothing available?
One thing I tell people (usually folks not from the States)....STAY AWAY FROM THE HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA!!!! I have no idea why people always seem to radiate towards it - maybe because its across the street from Penn Station or maybe they do a great job marketing to foreigners. But I've heard nothing but horrible things from anyone whose stayed there. Perhaps they've revamped the place but its not the place you want to stay. Go on sites like Hotels.com or get the app Hotels Tonight and check periodically about where to stay. If you liked the Roosevelt, looks like they are at $245/nt on Hotels.com. Keep checking different sites and when you see a rate you like - book it. You can always cancel. There are 100s of hotels in NY and the rates fluctuate all the time. But stay away from HP - you don't need to be across the street from Penn Station. No matter where you end up staying in Manhattan, it will be very easy to get to all 3 arenas. For the one game going to Newark, it may involve a quick subway trip to get to Penn Station - no biggie.

As far as tickets, you'll be able to get great seats closer to the game. Don't bother going on Stub Hub now - wait until the season starts and ticket prices come down and you'll find choice of seats. Between the Blue lines is obviously the most expensive but you'll get a better sense of what tickets are going for closer to the game and you can make an informed decision. A game against the Oilers is not a high demand game. If its a weeknight, you can probably get seats really cheap. You can follow the tickets on Stubhub and if you buy them last minute you can get them stupid cheap. Even if you want to lock them up earlier (as you're coming from far away), you can still do great the week of the game.

tl/dr version....Stay away from Hotel Pennsylvania and wait to buy tickets.

Reactions: mervincm

mervincm

Sep 12, 2008
One thing I tell people (usually folks not from the States)....STAY AWAY FROM THE HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA!!!!
tl/dr version....Stay away from Hotel Pennsylvania and wait to buy tickets.

Loud and clear, thanks for the warning, we will find something else!

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Load and clear, thanks for the warning, we will find something else!

I can't offer you much in terms of where to stay, but I will say that staying that close to Penn Station really isn't necessary. Don't pay through the nose for the luxury of being near a bunch of tourist traps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad