Nashville Stars, proposed MLB expansion team discussion

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Continental League is named after the proposed third major league of the mid-20th century. The 8 Mountain/Pacific Time Zone teams would be in the new Pacific Coast League, usurping the name of the AAA league that had major league dreams in the 1950s. It's about time the Western US has its own league for Major League Baseball.

Meanwhile, the Continental League would have 5 of its teams in the South (Atlanta, Houston, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Texas), plus two in Central Canada (Montreal and Toronto) and one Midwestern team (Minnesota). Several of these cities were in the proposed CL.

My plan for expansion of MLB to 40 teams would give the AL and NL their first teams in markets that didn't have MLB in 1957 (outside Miami) since the realignment into four leagues. One of the CL's expansion teams would go to Buffalo, the last remaining CL city still without MLB.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Furthermore, I've proposed that the Braves name (currently used by Atlanta) would remain solely an element of NL history.

The team would adopt a new identity in response to the George Floyd protests, removing the last traces of references to Native Americans.

They would purchase the rights to the identity of the former Atlanta Thrashers NHL team that left almost a decade ago. The whole look would be used verbatim with one difference - the hockey stick in the original Thrashers logo (which features a bird called thrasher) is changed to a baseball bat.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
As matter of fact, 5 of the 6 existing teams I have moving to the CL made the playoffs this year, Texas being the only one who didn't. Once the new alignment is established, only four CL teams would make the playoffs.

Meanwhile 3 of the playoff teams this year are would-be PCL teams, another 3 are teams that would remain in the AL, and the last five are teams that would remain in the NL.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The postseason schedule for 2026 would look like this if this alignment is adopted:

September 29: Two leagues start their LDS
October 3: Latest possible end date for the LDS of the other two leagues
October 4: Universal off day for travel
October 5: Two leagues start their LCS
October 12: Latest possible end date for the other two LCS
October 13: Universal off day for travel
October 14: Both national semifinal series begin
October 22: Latest possible end date for either national semifinal
October 23-26: Off days to accommodate Thursday Night Football on Fox
October 27: World Series starts
November 4: Latest possible end date for World Series

When the new MLB contracts begin in 2029, I expect ABC to start airing Sunday afternoon games during the regular season, with TBS moving to Friday night. To accommodate the new playoff format, a fourth cable TV partner, either Paramount Movie Network (formerly Paramount Network with production by CBS Sports) or USA Network (with production by NBC Sports) would begin airing Tuesday night games on a three year contract from 2026-28, with all four cable networks splitting the pre-World Series rounds of the playoffs (FS1 can move some Saturday games to Fox, while ESPN would move Saturday playoff games they hold rights to to FXX, to accommodate college football).

Beginning in 2029, ABC would air the World Series in odd-numbered years and Fox in even-numbered years. In odd years, ABC would start on Sunday and have off days on Tuesday and Saturday to accommodate Saturday Night Football, while in even years Fox would start on Tuesday and have off days on Thursday and Monday to accommodate their portion of the Thursday Night Football package. For instance, the World Series would start on Sunday, October 28, 2029.

This playoff format means that the World Series could be potentially decided in November every year.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Using my alignment, the entire playoffs of one league (the first two rounds) could take place in a given part of the US.

The Midwest could host the entire AL or NL playoffs if all Midwestern teams from either league qualify. Conversely they could also take place entirely in East Coast states (with all the AL's East Coast teams being located in the Northeast).

Meanwhile the entire CL playoffs could take place in the South (at least one Southern team is guaranteed a playoff berth as there are 5 Southern teams in the league), and the entire PCL playoffs could take place in California (at least one California team will make the playoffs in a given year, as there are 5 such teams in the PCL).

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Spring training could see some changes too.

The MLB could order a strict geographic split for spring training, which would require Cincinnati and Cleveland to move to Florida and Houston, Minnesota, and St. Louis to move to Arizona. Montreal, as an Eastern time team, and Nashville, as the easternmost Central time team, would conduct spring training in Florida.

Thus the Grapefruit League and Cactus League would essentially function as Eastern and Western Conferences for spring training only.

Following up on this, perhaps a few years into the new 4-league alignment, the Central Time teams that had been training in Arizona could form a new spring training league, the Cotton League, based in Texas.

This would leave the Cactus League as consisting entirely of the PCL teams. Of the first 8 expansion teams I have tabbed after the realignment, 5 are in the Eastern Time Zone (Buffalo, Charlotte, Hartford, Indianapolis, Louisville) and 1 (San Antonio) is in the Central. The five ETZ teams would conduct spring training in Florida as members of the Grapefruit League, while San Antonio would be in the Cotton League, where Nashville, also in the CTZ, moves after MLB's expansion to 40 teams.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Here are the interleague rivalries that would be protected with each subsequent expansion:

Expansion to 32 teams:
Atlanta-Miami
Baltimore-Philadelphia*
Baltimore-Pittsburgh*
Boston-Montreal
Boston-NY Mets*
Chicago Cubs-Chicago Sox*
Chicago Sox-Milwaukee
Chicago Sox-St. Louis
Cincinnati-Cleveland
Cincinnati-Detroit*
Cleveland-Pittsburgh
Detroit-Toronto
Kansas City-St. Louis*
Miami-Tampa Bay
Milwaukee-Minnesota
Minnesota-St. Louis*
NY Mets-NY Yankees*
NY Yankees-Philadelphia*
Philadelphia-Washington
Pittsburgh-Washington*

* - indicates a matchup which has occurred in World Series play; in the case of Pittsburgh-Washington, it was the original Senators, rather than the Nationals, that represented the latter city

Expansion to 40 teams:
Atlanta-Charlotte
Boston-Hartford
Buffalo-Detroit
Buffalo-NY Mets
Buffalo-NY Yankees
Chicago Cubs-Indianapolis
Cincinnati-Indianapolis
Indianapolis-Louisville
Kansas City-Minnesota
Louisville-Nashville

Expansion to 48 teams:
Atlanta-Birmingham
Baltimore-Hampton Roads
Birmingham-Nashville
Charlotte-Hampton Roads
Hampton Roads-Washington
Houston-Oklahoma City
Miami-Orlando
Oklahoma City-San Antonio
Oklahoma City-Texas
Orlando-Tampa Bay

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Here are the venues that could be used for spring training in Texas:

Constellation Field - Sugar Land
Dell Diamond - Round Rock
Dr Pepper Ballpark - Frisco
Lupton Stadium - Fort Worth (TCU)
Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium - San Antonio
Reckling Park - Houston (Rice)
The Depot at Cleburne Station - Cleburne
Whataburger Field - Corpus Christi

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
dBLGYcnl.png

Just for fun I decided to create what the 2020 MLB standings would have looked like under my proposed realignment (minus Montreal and Nashville).

The two existing leagues, the American and National Leagues, would have been pretty weak in 2020, as no team in either league would have attained 36 wins, the minimum needed for a .600 winning percentage.

Furthermore, only 8 games separated the first and seventh place teams in the NL - the fewest GB a 7th place team would have had in 2020.

On the other hand, the Continental and Pacific Coast Leagues would combine to have 5 teams of .600 or better winning percentages.

So, this illustrates my desire that if the four-league alignment is implemented, the four pennant winners are seeded 1-4 based on regular season record for the national semifinal series.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
When MLB releases the final line-up of what the minor leagues look like in 2021, I will make projections for what they could look like after the next MLB expansion. If MLB insists on these changes, I insist that AAA be three leagues - the IL for East Coast states teams (and Toronto), the PCL (to be renamed) for the Mountain/Pacific teams, and the new Heartland League for the teams in between.

Note that until Montreal and Nashville actually begin play, I expect that Pittsburgh's AAA team would be in the Heartland League because right now there are 11 teams between the East Coast States and Eastern Canada, and 11 teams in the Central US. Once Montreal and Nashville join, Pittsburgh can have its AAA team in the IL.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I find it amazing that this thread is only alive thanks to someone's fantasy booking as opposed to actual discussion on Nashville getting a third major sports franchise.

As of now, the area is struggling to build a MLS stadium, so while MLB should not have that serious of a problem in development should it ever happen, does Nashville really need another team to justify another expensive sporting venue?

Reactions: oknazevad

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Trust me once COVID is over and done with, things will start to pick up again.

Nashville is a fast-growing market. It's about time MLB come to the city. MLB is the only league Tennessee currently doesn't have once MLS is up and running. And when COVID is done, the efforts to bring MLB to Nashville will step up greatly.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The efforts in these cites to bring a team there are crazy far ahead of most places who've looked for MLB teams.

Miami played in an NFL stadium for nine years.
Colorado played in an NFL stadium for two years.
Tampa had an older stadium (built in 1986) and had tried to get a team via relocation twice before using politicians to get their team in 1998
Arizona spent 3 years building their stadium from the time they got a team to the time they started play.

Nashville, Portland and Montreal have ownership groups, stadium deals (Nashville and Portland, definitely, Montreal is less concrete), some of them have websites and branding already.

Like I've said in other threads, "moving quickly" on expansion = 3 to 5 years. But MLB is going to have 32 teams by 2030.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Portland may end up on the backburner because there are already 8 Mountain/Pacific teams...and if MLB is to institute the history-based alignment, then Portland has to wait until MLB expands to 40 teams by adding 2 teams each to the AL, NL, CL, and PCL all at once - Portland obviously would be PCL, and ideally named the Beavers (the traditional name for baseball teams in Portland).

Expanding by 8 teams at once would set a modern-era record for largest expansion of a big four sports league, surpassing the NHL's addition of six teams in 1967.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
And of course, my version of the history based realignment would rekindle a number of rivalries lost to divisional realignment, as well as keeping several current divisional rivalries.

The most significant rekindled rivalry would be Phillies-Pirates. The two Pennsylvania teams in the NL were huge rivals from the time Pittsburgh joined the NL in 1887, up until the last season of the four-division era in 1993. They got separated in the 1994 realignment, and the amount of games between them was reduced further as the schedule began to embrace division matchups more. They didn't even play each other this year because of COVID.

But of course, the 4-league alignment and the schedule format I've proposed allows the Pirates to play both the Phillies and the Reds 18 times a year as long as the 32-team alignment stands, allowing them to also keep the rivalry with the Reds.

It benefits me greatly because I root for both Cleveland (name change pending) and the Yankees. Under the current schedule format, they can only meet 6-7 times each season (not at all this year) and one series is played at each park. The new schedule format allows them to meet 18 times, 9 games over three series in each park. Thus, I would have 9 chances to catch a game between them at Progressive Field. As a fan of both teams, I would be a neutral observer.

And since Baltimore and Washington would share AL membership under my plan, if someone is rich and lucky enough, they can easily attend all 18 games between those teams because Baltimore and Washington are the same metro area. It would help if they are season ticket holders for both teams.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
And my proposed schedule format allows at least 200 games between two California teams from the PCL each year. That's a huge increase from the 84-88 guaranteed all-California matchups currently played each year (resulting from two CA teams being in the AL, three in the NL, and only two interleague rivalries - OAK-SF and LAA-LAD - among them guaranteed to be played each year).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I think Nashville is a much better fit for MLB expansion than Portland, for reasons we've discussed.

The whole 8 teams in the West thing makes total sense to me. The western teams would be in favor of radical realignment because they'd get a ton more games in their time zones. SEA, LAA, OAK play about 24 road games in their time zone now. You do four 8-team leagues, 16 games vs each, and now they have 56 road games in their time zone.

Problem is everyone else (Central Divisions) would probably be very opposed to radical realignment. And like we talked about, it's REALLY EASY to get everyone what they want:

After making the 8-team Western league, you make an 8-team Southern League with:

Expansion NASH
HOU, TEX (who want desperately to get out of the AL West)
TB, MIA (who are geographically isolated from their divisions, save MIA vs ATL)
ATL, WAS, KC (the teams that would put up the biggest fight in this)

Then you leave the remaining AL teams together as is (BAL, NYY, BOS, TOR, CLE, DET, CWS, MIN); and add Montreal back to the NL (MON, NYM, PHI, PIT, CIN, STL, CHC, MIL).

There's no need to get crazier than that.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Portland would be one of the first cities discussed when MLB goes from 32 to 40. The AL, CL, and NL would limit their expansion candidates from here on out to the Eastern/Central Time Zones. While those leagues, as they would play 126 intraleague games under my plan, would go to divisional play after they each expand to 10 teams, the PCL, after adding Las Vegas and Portland, would not at that time, instead having each team play the others 16 times each for their 144-game intraleague schedule.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
And I'm sure the Pirates, a Central Division team, would go for my proposal if it meant playing both the Phillies and Reds 18 teams a year.

Meanwhile, restoring the city lineups from 1957 for both the AL and NL (with the latter having Miami replace Brooklyn) would go over well with the teams in those cities. Many regard 1957 as the end of the golden era of baseball or at least the beginning of the end, as 1957 was the last year MLB was confined to the Northeast and Midwest. During the mid-1950s, three teams moved from markets where they had competed with another team into Northeastern and Midwestern markets that did not have MLB - the Boston Braves to Milwaukee, the St. Louis Browns to Baltimore as the Orioles, and the Philadelphia Athletics to Kansas City. Thus, MLB went from a 10-market footprint to a 13-market footprint by 1955. Of all the Midwestern and Northeastern markets that have MLB now, only the Twin Cities did not get in until the expansion era. My proposal for 40 teams long after the four-league structure is established would bring MLB to three more Northeast/Midwest markets currently without an MLB team - Buffalo, Hartford, and Indianapolis. And at that point, the only remaining Northeastern or Midwestern market with a realistic shot of getting an MLB team would be Columbus, OH, and even then that is not a guarantee.

In fact, when choosing the 6th CL West team for an even further down the road 48-team alignment, I chose Mexico City over Columbus because I don't think MLB passes up the chance of being a tri-national league.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
No major league is going to forty(!?) teams any time in the next few decades, not even the NFL. Period. And this is especially an issue in baseball because of the automatic fact that any MLB expansion also necessitates four more minor league affiliates per team. So please stop the rambling fantasy booking for a bit and concentrate on the actual issues at hand.

MLB is likely to add two (and ONLY two!) teams to get to the same 32 number as the NFL and NHL. For those, three or four cities seem likely candidates.

The first is Montreal, as there's local support and a real understanding among baseball intellectuals as to how much the Expos really were mishandled by many decisions over the years beginning with having to play in the white elephant of Olympic Stadium up through Jeffrey Loria (who is a fraudster, to be frank). They deserve recompensation for the way the franchise was screwed over. There pretty much a shoe-in. The only real question is if they rejoin their old traditional rivals in the NL East or wind-up in a division with the city's NHL rivals of Toronto and Boston. Either one is appropriate, but I hope for the former because the revived Expos must have their first game against the Mets in Queens, just as the first and last games of the original Expos were against the Mets in Queens. (I went to the latter, and still have the scorecard/program.)

The second is Portland, which seems to have a solid plan and local support in play. Plus a desire to have them be a travel partner of Seattle; that is, a team on a road trip to Seattle would also play Portland on the same swing, reducing travel distances.

The third is Nashville, which is already a very strong AAA market, has significant local interest, had shown itself to be a very strong sports city (even for a sport no one would have expected to work, like hockey) and would be a good geographic rival for Atlanta. (Memphis is a non-starter, by the way. It's a smaller metro area, and much less affluent than the Nashville area. They have trouble with supporting just the Grizzlies, which are often seen as one of the most likely NBA teams to move.)

The fourth is the wild card of Vegas. No real rumors of much push for it, and they just (finally) opened a new ballpark for the AAA team after far too long to get it done, but brining in another major league sport (indeed, the one that gave the world the term "major league") would be seen as another feather in the cap of a city trying to get the world to take it seriously. And, bluntly, betting against the house in Vegas is literally the worst idea in the world. All it takes is the right person deciding to do it and, boom, Vegas is in Major League Baseball.

Of course, there's also the fact that neither the Rays nor the Athletics have made much progress with new ballparks. The A's announced their intention to build at Howard Terminal, but there's pushback about turning good quality dock worker jobs into low-paying stadium jobs. The backup is a new ballpark at the Coliseum site, which A's ownership has been seeking to buy for the purpose of redeveloping it and making money off the real estate. But who knows what the final outcome is there. Meanwhile, the Rays are still in the same boat of a lousy stadium that was outdated the second they started playing in a lousy location on the wrong side of the metro area. It's not that there's no fanbase (the local TV ratings are actually in the top half of the majors), it's just no one wants to actually trudge to the stadium. They need to be in Tampa. And probably will sooner than later. If I were a betting man, I'd actually say that the A's have a greater chance of moving to Portland than the Rays moving to either Nashville or Montreal, despite the rattling last year.

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I think 40 is like a massively long term thing, and Big Z was coming up with it to entertain himself. (Like my 66-team NHL with three 22-team conferences that used Promotion/Relegation a few years ago).

Montreal, Nashville and Portland are the three candidates for two spots. And I think Portland SHOULD be the odd one out because it makes the most logistical sense for MLB if no one relocates. And if Oakland relocates then Nashville becomes the odd-man out and expand into Portland. You need 8 teams in the Mountain/Pacific and we have that now.

But I also think if no one moves, MLB should float the Portland owners some money to build their MLB stadium, put a Triple A team in Portland and basically give them dibs on the "western slot" if/when MLB goes to 36.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I feel the 40-team alignment could happen as soon as 2040 (provided Montreal and Nashville begin play in 2026) if the four-league plan is ultimately successful, which it should be. In any event the days of the AL and NL stretching from coast to coast appear to be numbered.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
After all, there are still several top 25 markets without an MLB team, and would remain so even after expansion to 40 teams (the last top-25 market gaps, Sacramento and Orlando, would be filled decades after expanding to 40 teams by going to 48).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad