Nashville sale thread--Leipold PULLS OUT of sale, Balsillie's bid OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
And who made you the god of hockeyism?

Just because you and some others are ignorant elitists doesn't mean a certain city "shouldn't have hockey".

Some people could really use a life. If you spend every waking moment fretting about whether a city has hockey or not, it's probably a good sign that you should point the barrel of your gun at your head and pull the trigger already.

So Nashville gets to keep their team, big whoop. Let's all have hissy fits like 4 year old girls.

Good luck with the team, Nashville fans and ENJOY SOME HOCKEY. Something that most people around here seem to forget to do. It's just a game.

This could apply to any of the other southern, expansion teams as well. Well said.:clap::clap: Great post.

Fugu

Fugu, a group of influential business leaders has put together a group to help grow the corporate side of it. They are actually doing this independent of Predators, and are targeting a growth of 3000 corporate tickets and increasing the Predators sponsorship. The people they have on the board are actually Nashvillians, and know more how to connect to this areas businesses so I do have faith.

Is the independence due to the uncertainty, Leipold's abrasiveness-- or both? (Keep us posted on these efforts.)

Fugu

While it certainly doesn't hurt, who is saying it's the only way or what evidence is there to suggest this? LA hasn't won a Cup, yet they're at 90%-95% capacity and seem to have a very strong following. Tampa was having an upward trend in attendance & finances before they won anything, similar to Nashville now. Growing a fan base takes time, stable ownership & market that's not over-extended with sports teams already, from my observations. A little winning never hurt anyone though. ;)

I personally do not like having the Cup set up as the only sign of success. While this is a sport, and sports are about winning and competing, I think there is a thin line to straddle here. You do want to promote the competitive spirit, the "joy of victory, and the agony of defeat" thing (I just dated myself I think....) BUT if everyone has the expectation that you are a failure in every way that counts unless you win the Cup, it makes all too easy to "fail." There should be something about the experience itself vs just the finale.

I agree with what you wrote, but I've noticed in too many articles and places where these things are discussed that people come to the other conclusion quite quickly. Maybe it is partially from putting too much emphasis on the ultimate goal, and in the process failing to straddle the line as required?

Feb 24, 2004
Let's look at the actual numbers, as well as the context for a minute .....

According to ESPN, since 2000:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

2000-01 18 Nashville 15,755 93.3 (non playoffs)
2001-02 26 Nashville 15,501 87.2 (non playoffs)
2002-03 30 Nashville 14,698 82.9 (non playoffs)
2003-04 28 Nashville 14,922 83.9 (lost first round)
2004-05 LOCK OUT -- NO SEASON
2005-06 25 Nashville 15,280 85.6 (lost first round)
2006-07 23 Nashville 15,580 87.1 (lost first round)

####

The context:
1. The first two years, 1998-99 & 1999-00 are not listed. It would be interesting to see these years as well. 01/02 is the third year, and attendance is still pretty high (93% capacity) despite the lousy team.

2. 01/02 fell less than 2% from 00/01. The Preds were a bad team, 3 years removed from expansion.

3. 02/03 fell just over 5% from 01/02. Again, Preds were bad, now 4 years removed from expansion. This was the low point for the Preds from a support standpoint, as they finished last in the league in attendance.

4. 03/04 sees a slight increase (1.5%) as gritty team makes first ever playoff appearance and plays well against Detroit before losing in the first round. Lots of momentum heading into next year ....

5. Lock out happens. Kills ALL momentum.

6. In 05/06, Despite the lock out the year before, team is good and sees 2% increase in attendance from 03/04. Another first round loss (with only 1 win) frustrates fans.

7. In 06/07, team battles for Presidents Cup most of the season, sees another 2% jump from 05/06, only to collapse in the first round of the playoffs yet again. However, playoff tickets for the SJ series sold out for every game, in under 17 minutes. Lots of momentum heading into 07/08.

8. Interesting to point out, only ONCE in their entire history has Nashville finished at the bottom of the league in attendance (02/03). And since the lock out, they've been 25th and 23rd in the two years.

9. I do not have the "paid" attendance numbers. If there is a way to produce these numbers, we can analyze the % increase/decrease year-to-year.

###

My opinion:
This team has NEVER advanced past the first round of the playoffs. Any true hockey fan knows that it's the playoff hockey that really energizes a fan base and creates buzz and excitement around town. The city of Nashville has yet to experience a true playoff atmosphere past the first week of the playoffs. You saw last year with the 17-minute ticket sell-outs that the fans were ready to go into a frenzy for the team ---- and San Jose crushed us a second straight time.

Conversely, you've seen the difference in markets like Carolina and Tampa when the team goes deep into the playoffs (and in those cases, won the cup).

Secondly:
This team has played EIGHT seasons. EIGHT! For 6 of the 8, they've finished with over 15k in attendance. Since the lockout, they have moved steadily up.

All of this has happened despite VERY LITTLE corporate support. There are reports of Leopold being "blacklisted" and "disliked" in the business community, which may play a part in the lack of corporate support.

But --- the bottom line:
This team has played 8 seasons in a market that had 0 high school teams and very little hockey exposure (minus a few minor league teams). They are not the "worst" in the league in terms of attendance and are on the upswing overall. Furthermore, without escaping the first round of the playoffs, the city has yet to experience the real thrill and fever of playoff hockey, which translates into a stronger and deeper fan base thereafter.

-Tom

I like what you're suggesting, I really do. And as people on HF know, I support the Preds staying in Nashville 100%....but using these numbers is only asking for trouble, since it isn't actual paid attendance. As far as anyone knows, Leipold could have been giving out tickets in far greater numbers towards the end to make it look better than it really was.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I like what you're suggesting, I really do. And as people on HF know, I support the Preds staying in Nashville 100%....but using these numbers is only asking for trouble, since it isn't actual paid attendance. As far as anyone knows, Leipold could have been giving out tickets in far greater numbers towards the end to make it look better than it really was.

As I mentioned earlier, tickets are given out by every team in the league, many comparable to what the Predators give out, because it's not like the Preds go door to door or stand on a street corner advertising "FREE TIXX!"

There was something in the Tennessean last year about the nature of free tickets...and most of them, the lion's share, are given out as "bonus" tickets to those who buy season tickets. The next chunk are typically given out to businesses as a "come see what all the fuss is about" type of advertisement, and then the rest go to schools for incentive use\prizes. If any other team in the league is allowed to use the published numbers for their average attendance, so too should Nashville...because it's not an uncommon practice.

Feb 24, 2004
As I mentioned earlier, tickets are given out by every team in the league, many comparable to what the Predators give out, because it's not like the Preds go door to door or stand on a street corner advertising "FREE TIXX!"

There was something in the Tennessean last year about the nature of free tickets...and most of them, the lion's share, are given out as "bonus" tickets to those who buy season tickets. The next chunk are typically given out to businesses as a "come see what all the fuss is about" type of advertisement, and then the rest go to schools for incentive use\prizes. If any other team in the league is allowed to use the published numbers for their average attendance, so too should Nashville...because it's not an uncommon practice.

Again I buy it, but what you're essentially saying is "there are other potentially weak markets in the NHL, therefore we shouldn't be singled out. Unfortunately those who are proponents of moving the team will just say that "you have to start somewhere."

I happen to be of the mindset to let the game grow in the area and see what happens.

But that's just me...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Again I buy it, but what you're essentially saying is "there are other potentially weak markets in the NHL, therefore we shouldn't be singled out. Unfortunately those who are proponents of moving the team will just say that "you have to start somewhere."

I happen to be of the mindset to let the game grow in the area and see what happens.

But that's just me...

That's not really my intent...because strong teams give away tickets, as well. It's part of being socially responsible and pleasing your fans.

Another number that every team has to consider, and I forget what the exact number is...but the NHLPA requires that the PLAYERS get a certain amount, PER GAME of tickets available to them..and these too go into the comped totals.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
That's about the only true thing you said in that post. If Leipold was prepared to sit tight for the long haul, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Comparing Nashville to teams that are around 40 years old in terms of tv ratings then saying they have no "grass roots support" is disingenous at best.

As for that column, it was conspiracy theory crap at its best. "If we were KC, the team would be here already, cuz Bettman hates Canada!". :rolleyes:

Thanks Sotnos. I'll take that as a compliment from you! :handclap:

Now, can you please tell me why my other points are not 'true'.

GHOST

Russell

Feb 29, 2004
T-DOT
Balsillie bid in jeopardy
Predators owner to pursue offer from U.S. group
Theresa Tedesco And Matthew Sekeres, National Post
Published: Thursday, June 28, 2007

Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie's deal to purchase the Nashville Predators of the NHL and relocate the team to Hamilton appears unlikely as the current owner prepares to announce an exclusive deal with a new bidder, the National Post has learned.

According to sources familiar with the events, Craig Leipold, owner of the Predators, informed Mr. Balsillie late Monday -- less than a week before their deal was to close on June 30 -- that he has decided to walk away from the US$238-million offer announced last month. Instead, he plans to pursue a less lucrative bid from California businessman William "Boots" DelBiaggio. It is widely expected that Mr. DelBiaggio will relocate the Predators to Kansas City once Nashville's lease at the Sommet Center arena expires.

Apparently, Mr. DelBiaggio's original offer for the Predators was estimated at US$190-million, well less than Mr. Balsillie's bid. The co-chief executive officer of Research in Motion Ltd., which manufactures the Black-Berry wireless e-mail device, had planned to move the franchise to Hamilton after the lease in Nashville was terminated, a process Mr. Leipold kick-started two weeks ago.

However, sources say Mr. Leipold officially informed Mr. Balsillie's Los Angeles-based lawyers yesterday morning, citing his desire that the Canadian businessman concede to the NHL's insistence on dealing with the relocation issue after he received approval to own the team.

"He wants Balsillie to play ball with the NHL and take it one step at a time, not two steps at a time," said a source who asked not to be named.

Mr. Balsillie declined to comment yesterday. A spokesman for Mr. Leipold said he was unaware of any changes in the negotiations with Mr. Balsillie, adding he believed a non-binding letter of intent was still in place.

Shortly after he signed a nonbinding agreement to buy the Predators, Mr. Balsillie raised the ire of Gary Bettman, commissioner of the NHL, when he filed an application with the league's head office in New York, asking the 30 governors to consider an application to relocate the Predators -- once the lease terminated --at the same time they voted on whether to approve his ownership of the team. A company he owns signed a 20-year lease on Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, and accepted thousands of deposits on season tickets, which sold out in less than two days but raised eyebrows at the NHL's head office.

William Daly, the NHL's deputy commissioner, declined to comment yesterday.

At a board of governors meeting in New York last week, Mr. Bettman called Mr. Balsillie's relocation plans "premature."

"Currently, there isn't a fully completed application before the board of governors. As a result, I think people are getting a little bit ahead of themselves on this entire issue."

Meanwhile, sources say Mr. Leipold has not informed the league of his change of plans, although it was privately speculated at the NHL's head office that he might decide to walk away from his non-binding agreement with Mr. Balsillie, which was signed on May 24.

"When he wrote a letter to the league asking them to stop processing Mr. Balsillie's application, some people had the impression a change was on the way," said a source who asked not to be named.

Late last week, the Predators' owner delivered a two-page letter to NHL lawyer David Zimmerman advising him to stop considering Mr. Balsillie's application to buy the team. "Given the lack of a definitive agreement between the club and Mr. Balsillie, the club requests that the NHL refrain from taking any further action with respect to the 'Application to Acquire the Nashville Predators' previously filed by Mr. Balsillie," declared the letter obtained by the Post.

"Further, the club requests that the NHL simply disregard the request for a 'Conditional Consent to the Transfer of Franchise Location,' " the missive added. "As we have discussed, this Conditional Consent to the Transfer of Franchise Location' was not contemplated in the Term Sheet and was submitted by Mr. Balsillie without the club's prior review or approval."

The letter ends by saying if and when the two parties reach an agreement, they will submit a new application for ownership.

One source suggested Mr. Leipold simply wanted the league's lawyers to stop billing him for the due diligence because the uncertainty surrounding Mr. Balsillie's application could get costly. For example, Mr. Balsillie's attempt to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins last year led to a $US300,000 legal bill, even though he never bought the team.

In a statement, Mr. Leipold explained the letter requested the NHL refrain from doing "any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie's offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement. If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward."

Still others say Mr. Leipold, who is expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Mr. DelBiaggio's group today, has accepted substantially less money as a result of intense pressure from Mr. Bettman, who wanted to usher a team to Kansas City.

Mr. DelBiaggio, who owns a minority stake in the NHL's San Jose Sharks, claimed last week that he had bowed out of contention for the Predators. "That's Jim's deal now," he told a Nashville newspaper. "I'm not going to get involved there."

Kansas City, which has constructed a new downtown arena and is searching for a tenant, was considered a front-runner for an NHL expansion franchise, but was also in the running as a potential new home for the Pittsburgh Penguins last December.

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), a company owned by Los Angeles Kings proprietor Philip Anschutz, has a management agreement for Kansas City's Sprint Center. Further, Mr. Del-Biaggio has an agreement with AEG to own and operate an NHL franchise in the new facility.

"I believe Boots and his group will step up and get an expansion franchise if there is one to be had," Tim Leiweke, AEG's president, told a Kansas City reporter last month. "In the meantime ? we're going to try anybody and everybody that ultimately is in trouble. We're willing to be used a little bit if that's the process it takes to get Kansas City a team."

Mr. Leiweke could not be reached yesterday.

Hamilton was also denied a franchise in the early-1990s.

© National Post 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad