Nashville Predators Reported Attendance/Comps for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by GSC2k2*, May 2, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

2. Fugu

Fugu Guest

What was the actual spending though, as this part doesn't add up to the Cap Geek figures:
    I may be looking at the wrong column, but does anyone know actual payroll cost, not the cap hit?

That said, I've got a ton of respect for Poile and Trotz. I keep saying this is one of the most under-appreciated hockey operations in the NHL. Great at drafting, great at developing, build from within their own organization, and achieving success in spite of having to shed UFA talent almost as soon as a key player hits the UFA age. I think if they hadn't had the budgetary constraints before, this team would be considered one of the NHL powerhouses right now.

I like to see good hockey management rewarded.

The worrisome aspect is one that is a concern for many NHL teams though. It was the same prior to the lockout. A team has to reach the playoffs and achieve some level of success there to draw in fans, and then keep them. The odds are not equal in this regard because there are far too many variables. It's unfortunate that more fans cannot become fans of the sport firstly, instead of being nurtured to become fans of winners. (That applies to all markets, btw.)

3. Dado

Dado Guest

They've got Shane "Roxy" O'Brien referring to Poile as "Mister" - how can you not respect that. :)

4. Seth Lake

Seth Lake Registered User

Home Page:
    I was flying back from Charlotte this morning and read the article just before arriving at the airport. The thing that strikes me the most from the article is at the start of the season Cogen said publicly that in order to build the market for the long-term, he was going to actually increase comps to around 1,000 per game. This news was met with some grumbling from those worried about the 14k paid number. But...

Instead, he found other ways to accomplish the mission and actually decreased the comps fairly significantly this season while adding value to season-tickets beyond just the game and building a stronger bond between the team and community.

The Predators are currently running TV spots advertising playoff tickets for the second round that simply run highlights from the Anaheim series in the background the entire time. The one constant graphic on the screen throughout the 30 second spots though is "Save up to 50% off gate rates for the remainder of the playoffs by purchasing 2011-12 season tickets".

It is being pushed heavily by ticket reps when you call for single game playoff tickets as well and I know it's working as I've already heard from 4 friends that I've bought tickets for throughout the season that they've purchased a ticket package for next year and signed up for the remainder of the playoffs as well.

Adding in the playoff run and the excitement generated thus far in the region, I think the Preds are in a very good position to build the franchise up right now and in the future. Jeff Cogen and Sean Henry have been great additions to our front office and simply understand pro sports and the entertainment industry. Our ownership has given them the resources needed to get things done and they have.

It's just a great time to be a Nashville Predators fan right now! ;)

5. Dominator13

Dominator13 Registered User

Home Page:
    That is pure brilliant for the high-class market. Great thinking by the organization in order to build a long-term prosper fan base.

6. Jet

Jet Resident Whipping Boy

So happy for Nashville. I am super excited, going on a big US roadtrip starting Friday, and hope to be there for game 6 :)

7. King_Stannis

King_Stannis Registered User

Nashville is one of the newer markets I thought could work under the right circumstances. They've got a good organization, and the near death experience with Balsillie probably helped the fans realize how valuable their team was to them.

Good for them!

8. Jet

I just bought my tickets for game 6 Preds/ Nucks. (Please please PLEASE win tomorrow night Nashville!)

I have to say I was a bit shocked that my lower level tickets were cheaper than my standing room tickets from Hawks/ Canucks last year in Chicago. Pleasantly shocked!

Really excited to check out the barn and town!

9. Dado

Dado Guest

As a Canuck fan, I obviously hope you don't get to use your tickets. :) But that said, if you do, you're in for a treat. In my experience, Nashville folks are really terrific hosts to opposing-team fans, possibly even the best in the league.

They may still have a bit to learn about the game itself, but they've got the hospitality thing down cold.

Have fun!

10. Jet

Haha opposing team fans? I will be a faithful member of Bashville if game 6 happens. ABC = Anybody But Canucks :laugh:

11. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Where else are you going? Catching any other games?

12. Confucius

Confucius Registered User

There definitely is no waste when you have no choice. Would Poile and trotz fair as well if they had money to burn? Sometimes being forced into a managing strategy is indeed heaven sent.

13. Jet

Well, we had planned to see games in Washington, Philly and Pittsburgh :laugh:

We are also going to Baltimore, Chicago, NYC and Minneapolis. Lots of baseball and even going to catch the MLS game between Fire and Whitecaps tomorrow night. I wanted to go to ATL but I think I'll wait till the Jets make a roadtrip there :)

14. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

It really is hard to find fault with the big picture in Nashville since the team was sold. A rebound in corporate support, increases in attendance, a decent balance sheet and success on the ice, this has to be considered a job well done.

15. Fugu

Fugu Guest

I have to disagree. More teams than not have to watch their spending, especially the newer US teams and the smaller market Canadian ones when the CAD was low. Very few have achieved their level of consistency. I get to see a lot of the Preds since they're in the same division as my Wings. I've watched them let UFA after UFA go, and each time I thought, okay, that's it, they cannot come back. They keep proving me wrong as the pipeline has been well stocked.

Somebody has to get the credit for that, and it's Dave Poile.

16. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Stay away from Nashville!!! ;)

17. Seth Lake

Home Page:
    For Nashville Predators and sponsors, the Stanley Cup playoffs pay off

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...Nashville-Predators-sponsors-playoffs-pay-off

18. BrianSTC

BrianSTC Registered User

I could've swore there was some anti-Canuck bias in your posts...now I understand...eyes wide open!

19. McManked

McManked Ooh to be a Gooner

REFEREE/UMPIRE
    :laugh::laugh:

20. CanadianHockey

CanadianHockey Smith - Alfie

Home Page:
    Love that Nashville's getting better attendance figures. One of the underrated franchises in the league, I've got a lot of respect for Poile and Trotz. Great management. However, cannot cheer for the Preds for drafting purposes.

21. Seth Lake

Home Page:
    Actually, if you cheer for the Preds that 3rd you got from us after we won in the first round becomes a 2nd round pick. Join the bandwagon!!! :yo:

22. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity
    I would file this under the "if you win they will come" but in another thread that statement annoys some people

I Personally believe it

23. jorbjorb

jorbjorb hello.

Awesome! Good to see a team like Nashville have a big fan base!

24. AdmiralsFan24

AdmiralsFan24 Registered User

I don't know why that would annoy some people. If you market the product and produce a consistent winner, fans will show up. It's true for any sport. Nashville is doing a great job marketing and they've been a consistent winner for 7 years.

25. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    Remember our regular season this year was very up and down, we spent as much time out of the playoff picture as any of our recent years. We also had a that horrible injury bug and couldn't score goals. Let's also not forget a lot people and business were very negatively effected by the spring floods, many stil lhave not recovered. Hats off to them for making this big of an improvement in this trying season.