Proposal: Nashville-Ottawa

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
You can find players like Fiala and Smith anywhere, Mark Stone is a top 5 rw and selke candidate.

Cherry pick Stones stats more lol 62 points in 59 games on a garbage team. Why argue this way when you know youre wrong. What a waste of time.

Let's remember Mark Stone is on the top line and neither Smith, nor Fiala, are getting the same minutes a night as him.

Fiala is still fairly young and with his rising stats could easily project as a better forward than Mark Stone, being 4 years younger and on a much more cost effective contract is nice, too...

Smith is definitely a mid-6 forward but if he has a good year he can put up 20+ goals a year (Around the same as Stone) but his assist numbers are definitely lower.

Ryan Ellis is a monster, but definitely just a rental in Ottawa, and looks like he's interested in getting paid and wants a NTC.

Ottawa would be fleecing Nashville if they took Fiala and Smith who are easily 2 second line wingers with Fiala having possibly enough upside to be a 1st line winger. For what is probably just a good 2nd-line winger playing on the first line, in Stone.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Fiala is still fairly young and with his rising stats could easily project as a better forward than Mark Stone, being 4 years younger and on a much more cost effective contract is nice, too...

Keep Fiala then. Sens don't need to, and don't want to trade Stone for a player who could maybe end up better, but probably won't.

Smith is definitely a mid-6 forward but if he has a good year he can put up 20+ goals a year (Around the same as Stone) but his assist numbers are definitely lower.

Ottawa has their own middle-6 Smith who can put up 20+ goals in a good year, and no one gives a shit about trading for Zack Smith. Pass.

Ottawa would be fleecing Nashville if they took Fiala and Smith who are easily 2 second line wingers with Fiala having possibly enough upside to be a 1st line winger. For what is probably just a good 2nd-line winger playing on the first line, in Stone.

Typical oversell my players, undersell your players. Calling Stone just a good 2nd-line winger is the dumbest sentence in this thread.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You can find players like Fiala and Smith anywhere, Mark Stone is a top 5 rw and selke candidate.

Cherry pick Stones stats more lol 62 points in 59 games on a garbage team. Why argue this way when you know youre wrong. What a waste of time.

I *know* I'm wrong. I believe in having depth on my team instead of One superior line of stars. I would rather have 3-4 lines of B+ A-, then 1 line of A+ while the rest are C. If I'm wrong give me facts not emotional out bursts.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I *know* I'm wrong. I believe in having depth on my team instead of One superior line of stars. I would rather have 3-4 lines of B+ A-, then 1 line of A+ while the rest are C. If I'm wrong give me facts not emotional out bursts.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's a cute idea, but I'd prefer to keep what we have (depth is what keeps this team competitive, after all)... and there's absolutely no way in hell Ottawa ever considers it in any case, as they're not saving money that way (particularly with losing Tkachuk) and Ellis is just another blueline rental they're not going to pay for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For what is probably just a good 2nd-line winger playing on the first line, in Stone.
This here is pretty serious fail. Stone is about as much a "second line winger" as Filip Forsberg.

It's not ideal for the Preds in any case (again, it's a team built on lots of depth), but that doesn't mean we need to make up nonsense.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
This here is pretty serious fail. Stone is about as much a "second line winger" as Filip Forsberg.

It's not ideal for the Preds in any case (again, it's a team built on lots of depth), but that doesn't mean we need to make up nonsense.

I'm not sure the stats agree with you on that assessment, unless you're basing this on his streaky performance this previous year? His other years he's been what Fiala is now..and if that's the case, he's essentially a 2nd line winger at 24.

I don't think it really matters either way, he wouldn't be top line in Nashville so moot point he's a 2nd liner here so that's what we see

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure the stats agree with you on that assessment, unless you're basing this on his streaky performance this previous year? His other years he's been what Fiala is now..and if that's the case, he's essentially a 2nd line winger at 24.
Mark Stone career NHL numbers: 249 points in 307 games (0.81 points per game), generally playing about 18-20 minutes per game.
Filip Forsberg career NHL numbers: 255 points in 331 games (0.77 points per game), generally playing about 18 minutes per game.

Forsberg shoots more (931 career shots versus Stone's 613) and correspondingly has more goals. Stone has many more assists to close the gap.

Stone has four full NHL years and has never dropped below 50 points in any of those seasons. The same is also true of Forsberg. Fiala - the guy you're saying Stone is most like right now - has never reached 50 points. (Although I have high hopes for him in coming years.)

Want to try again?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Stone isn’t a second line winger

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

BUT MUH STATS.

Since his first full season in the league, Mark Stone is 9th amongst RW in points per game.

NHL.com - Stats

"Second-line winger."

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I appreciate OPs attempt but this is not good for Ottawa. Stone is easily the best asset in the deal, and Tkachuk is the 2nd best.

Stone for Tolvanen+

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Mark Stone career NHL numbers: 249 points in 307 games (0.81 points per game), generally playing about 18-20 minutes per game.
Filip Forsberg career NHL numbers: 255 points in 331 games (0.77 points per game), generally playing about 18 minutes per game.

Forsberg shoots more (931 career shots versus Stone's 613) and correspondingly has more goals. Stone has many more assists to close the gap.

Stone has four full NHL years and has never dropped below 50 points in any of those seasons. The same is also true of Forsberg. Fiala - the guy you're saying Stone is most like right now - has never reached 50 points. (Although I have high hopes for him in coming years.)

Want to try again?
Sure, what line would he play on in Nashville?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure, what line would he play on in Nashville?
Ah, so Subban is no longer a #1D because he plays on the second pairing. Gotcha.

We're talking about what Stone's capabilities are, not his position on the depth chart. Depth considerations are a reasonable basis for the Preds rejecting this proposal, but they don't even slightly justify referring to a legit top-line winger as...
just a good 2nd-line winger playing on the first line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad