Nashville Names Ben Vanderklock as Goaltending Coach

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Sucks to see Korn leave, he's obviously a very good goalie coach. But lets not label this a disaster just yet. Mitch Korn isn't the only successful goalie coach in NHL history. Jonathan Quick doesn't have Mitch Korn, Henrik Lundqvist doesn't have him. Even Sergei Bobrovsky won a Vezina without Mitch Korn...

In fact, Mitch has been at the NHL level for 23 year now and has produced Dominik Hasek, Tomas Vokoun and Pekka Rinne in that time. That's a pretty good resume, but it's not unmatched either and you could argue that Hasek and Rinne would have been elite no matter who coached them.

Lets also not forget that most NHL goalies employ and work with their own guys as well in the offseason and sometimes throughout the season. I don't know who else Pekka might be working with, but if he has someone then that guy would also be a part of his success and limits the impact of losing a Mitch Korn.

I am going into this with a glass half full on Vanderklok, I bet he uses a lot of the same techniques that Korn has used and may even have a few fresh ideas that he hasn't had a chance to try out yet.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
While I'm not saying that a good goaltender coach isn't an excellent luxury to have, it isn't as if Hutton is suddenly going to be a sieve because Korn is gone. He took pretty big steps in his development over the course of last season, and once Rinne was back Hutton really solidified himself as an NHL back up. I don't see how having Hutton behind Rinne is a huge mistake now because of a goaltender coaching change. If he is having to fill in as the starter then the team is screwed for reasons unrelated to Korn.

And it's not like there won't be thousands of goalies in the open market for a training camp invite

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How does a goaltender coach help anyone in a game of chance the shootout?

as the other poster explained, Korn was in charge of shootout prep, and if it was a "game of chance" you'd have expected us to be closer to .500

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
In the Korn era, opponents were .679 in shootout attempts against our goaltenders. Opposing goalies were .682 against our shooters - a difference of 0.4%.

Compare that to the overall shooting percentage, other than the shootout: our goalies have a .909 save percentage in regulation/OT, while opponents have a .906 save percentage against the Preds.

Yes, we're talking a net difference of 0.7%, but c'mon.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
In the Korn era, we were .677 in shootout attempts against our goaltenders. Opposing goalies were .681 against our shooters - a difference of 0.4%.

Compare that to the overall shooting percentage, other than the shootout: our goalies have a .910 save percentage in regulation/OT, while opponents have a .907 save percentage against the Preds.

Yes, we're talking a net difference of 0.7%, but c'mon.

Okay era overall, that's pretty good. What was it in the era since the second lockout?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
the only shootout stat that is relevant is 2-8.

that was our record last year.

make that 5-5 and we make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad