Nashville making bid for Frozen Four

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was talking more about the idea of the Frozen Four than a Juniors tourney. I've driven from Chicago to Nashville and it took 7-8 hours (middle of night so add an hour or two for daytime). Took about 10 hours to get to Detroit not counting time change. If you're not really up for a road trip then take a flight.

We do have a rather nice airport in Nashville. It isn't Atlanta with trams between buildings and all, but you can get from point A to point B quite adequately.

We did a pretty good job hosting the Draft back in 2003. I think we'd do fine with a Frozen Four.

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
There is a division II in hockey, http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/sponsorship?sortOrder=0&division=2&sport=MIH

They play Division 3 schools and are within Div 3 conferences. (I damn well know that from going to a div III school.)

The complication with CIS schools joining the NCAA is the acceptance of junior players who are considered 'professional' players under NCAA rules. The NCAA has been rumored to be working on this and changing the rules in case CIS schools begin to go to the NCAA in droves.

Div II would be the apt sport because Div I schools would complain about having schools with players who were paid. The CIS schools would complain about going to a division with scholarship athletes when Canada currently isn't.

I meant championships in the NCAA. I know there are a select few D2 schools offering hockey. The NCAA stopped offering the D2 championship in the late 1990's which is why leagues like the CHA(College Hockey America) and the MAAC(Now Atlantic Hockey) formed. The NCAA also said any school with a D1 athletic program could NOT play at a lower level which is why schools like Holy Cross and U Conn elevated hockey to a D1 sport. This actually happened in the early 1990's for football as a few D3 schools in football that played in D1 were forced to move up. The way they did was by forming a non-scholarship league which is what some of these NEW D1 hockey programs did.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I meant championships in the NCAA. I know there are a select few D2 schools offering hockey. The NCAA stopped offering the D2 championship in the late 1990's which is why leagues like the CHA(College Hockey America) and the MAAC(Now Atlantic Hockey) formed. The NCAA also said any school with a D1 athletic program could NOT play at a lower level which is why schools like Holy Cross and U Conn elevated hockey to a D1 sport. This actually happened in the early 1990's for football as a few D3 schools in football that played in D1 were forced to move up. The way they did was by forming a non-scholarship league which is what some of these NEW D1 hockey programs did.

I saw, that. The concept of DII is off and should be abolished to two divisions UNLESS, the CIS were to join the NCAA in hockey and they would become DII.

As a guy who went to DIII college in NH, we played all the DII schools.

Now, back to topic. Nashville would be great for the frozen four but I would prefer the Juniors be played on the border.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Precisely what I was thinking. Similarly, 2013's in Russia. That's a haul from Canada as well, unless, of course, Canadian hockey fans are holding out hope that global warming will cause the Bering land bridge to reappear so they can migrate in herds to Ufa. :sarcasm:

Yeah, but 2013 is being organized by the Russian Federation, not USA Hockey obviously.

USA Hockey wants to make money. The easiest way to guarantee financial success is by having it near the border so they can rip off Canadians.

It's much cheaper to have Canada do the marketing for you for free than it is to spend a ton of money on marketing towards Americans. Plus, Canadians will pay outrageous prices for kids hockey.

The only reason there's going to be a tournament in Russia at all is because the IIHF requires 1 out of every 4 tournaments to be outside North America. It has nothing to do with where the money is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad