Nashville making bid for Frozen Four

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
There was an interview with the Preds new CEO(formerly with the Lightning and Stars), and he basically said that getting Tampa the frozen four was his project, beginning in about 2002.

This isn't really just a statement he's making, like, "we'd like to do this," there's already planning and a roadmap being set out for how to do it and when it will happen. They plan to make their first formal pitch to the NCAA in the fall, with a target of getting the 2015 or 16 tournament. Henry said that it's a matter of when rather than if, and something they won't back down on.

I heard that interview this afternoon and it was Sean Henry, our new COO, that headed the campaign to bring the Frozen Four to Tampa and the St. Pete Times Forum this year.

I'd love to see the Frozen Four brought to Nashville for 2016. I believe that due to Tampa's tournament this year that 2015 might be too soon and we might get the 2016 tournament after they rotate it through the four regions again.

I'll tell you this, local ownership lead by Tom Cigarran is committed to the long term growth of this market. He is a successful businessman, he knows this town, and he isn't afraid to bring in the right people (like Henry and Jeff Cogen) to get the job done. Ownership is committed to increasing spending and will not be satisfied with anything less than the No. 1 arena in North America and the Stanley Cup. They simply refuse to take no for an answer. You watch, it'll happen...

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
some of the US hockey conferences are weird. Main issue is that outside of the NE, not many schools have top hockey programs, so the traditional football/bball conferences dont really work.

Of the stranger things:
Why is USAF in the atlantic?
Why is alaska in the CCHA?
ECAC makes sense, basically the Ivy League + some liberty league teams and some other private schools with good hockey programs.
Hockey East also makes sense, and it has two big east teams.
WCHA is wierd. You'd think fairbanks and USAF would just join them, and let MTU and OSU go to the CCHA.

and then there is alabama-huntsville, the only southern college hockey program.

I'll try to answer some of the questions here. USAF is in Atlantic hockey mainly because West Point is (Army). Also their rink doesn't fit what the WCHA is looking at and they (along with Army) are in a bit of a jam as (of course) They can't recruit canadians. Alaska-Fairbanks is in the CCHA is because if both Alaska schools were in the same league travel budgets would be blown through the roof. Michigan Tech is in the WCHA because they were a founding member of the league and after leaving for 3 years in the mid 80's missed all of their original rivals. OSU is in the WCHA as a WOMENS only member because there is no CCHA for women Hope this answers some of the league questions in US college hockey.

Last edited:

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
:laugh:x10

Not 1 of the regular conferences has hockey.

Blame Title IX (which has also given non-football schools a hard time starting up those programs), and the staggering start-up costs for hockey, especially if you want an on-campus facility. Penn State got a VERY generous donation from alumnus (and prospective Sabres owner) Terry Pegula, and that's really the main reason they've been able to put together a Division-I hockey program.

Maybe if the Big Ten Hockey idea takes off, we could see the SECHC go D-1 with the rest of the conference, but with as much money as these schools pump into their football programs (to the point that only two schools field men's soccer), I think it's pretty unlikely...

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I'll try to answer some of the questions here. USAF is in Atlantic hockey mainly because West Point is (Army). Also their rink doesn't fit what the WCHA is looking at and they (along with Army) are in a
bit of a jam as (of course) They can't recruit canadians. Alaska-Faorbanks is in the CCHA is because if both Alaska schools were in the same league travel budgets would be blown through the roof. Michigan Tech is in the WCHA because they were a founding member of the league and after leaving for 3 years in the mid 80's missed all of their original rivals. OSU is in the WCHA as a WOMENS only member because there is no CCHA for women Hope this answers some of the league questions in US college hockey.

not being a fan of us college hockey, this is actually very helpful. Thanks.

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
not being a fan of us college hockey, this is actually very helpful. Thanks.

Glad I could help. I actually went to college at a school that plays in the WCHA so that is the league I'm most familiar with. Atlantic Hockey(the Army-USAF league) is the youngest with schools just coming up from Division 3(or in the case of service academies) looking for a league. More and more NHL players are coming from US colleges so it is becoming a legitimate place to play before going on to the next level(and stats show over 80% of players leave with their degrees)

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
There is a strong captive audience for the Frozen Four - college hockey fans, and people who went to the schools involved. If Minnesota gets in the Frozen Four, half the state is going.

What is the captive audience in the United States for WJC? It just doesn't seem like a lot of Americans are interested in the WJC compared to college hockey. Attendances in Boston in 1996 were pretty poor, meaning USA Hockey is going to be loath to host a tournament away from the border.

There isn't a captive audience for the WJC in the United States. Until the NHL Network launched, there wasn't even any regular national television coverage of the WJC. Only in the last five years or so, has anyone really paid attention to the WJC in the States. I remember that the 2004 final was streamed on USA Hockey's website. After the US won, Fox Sports Net, ESPN2 and CSTV showed it tape delayed, a few days later. For many years, the games were only available through Center Ice and a few regional sports networks. ESPN2 picked up a few games in 2005 but after that, it was back to CI and RSN's til NHL Net launched. That's one of the reasons that the WJC has such low awareness in the States. It's a major TV event in Canada, while in the States, it barely got any tv coverage at all.

On the other hand, the Frozen Four has always gotten some coverage on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. Add to the fact that college teams have built in loyalty and that several networks air college games - CBS College Sports, ESPNU, NHL Net, Big Ten Network and various regional networks all show college games often, and you have a much better television situation.

I'm sure Nashville could do a good job as host. The event seemed to do well when it was in Anaheim and they certainly didn't have any major college programs nearby.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Alabama and Auburn played the first ever Iron Cup this past weekend at the Pelham Civic Complex here in birmingham. Alabama's had a club team for a few years and Auburn's in their first year. If it weren't for Title 9, I have to think they'd make more strides at becoming full fledged D1 programs.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
most of the schools in the south have club teams at this point, some even division 2, most are division 3. I'm sure a hockey SEC will happen at some point in my lifetime

billycanuck

most of the schools in the south have club teams at this point, some even division 2, most are division 3. I'm sure a hockey SEC will happen at some point in my lifetime

I think that's what Nashville and College Hockey Inc.'s goals are, too get some NCAA ice hockey in the southern market. That's why U of Alabama-Huntsville hosted #15 Merrimack in Nashville Predators rink on the 14th and 15th. I know UAH would LOVE to have a conference to play in (in the south) since they are independent this year.

But of course this will require some $$$ and most likely a women's conference down there.

If Nashville does get the Frozen Four, it is a step in the right direction in opening peoples eyes to college hockey in the southern markets.

I am sure Bettman would love to have more hockey down there ;)

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
I'll try to answer some of the questions here. USAF is in Atlantic hockey mainly because West Point is (Army). Also their rink doesn't fit what the WCHA is looking at and they (along with Army) are in a bit of a jam as (of course) They can't recruit canadians. Alaska-Fairbanks is in the CCHA is because if both Alaska schools were in the same league travel budgets would be blown through the roof. Michigan Tech is in the WCHA because they were a founding member of the league and after leaving for 3 years in the mid 80's missed all of their original rivals. OSU is in the WCHA as a WOMENS only member because there is no CCHA for women Hope this answers some of the league questions in US college hockey.

I think not being able to recruit Canadians isn't their major problem. It would be the fact that they have to commit to the Army or Air Force more so. So they don't get the top US talent coming there. The majority of championship teams recently have been around at least 75-80% American born players. I believe that Minnesota won in 2003 with only Tomas Vanek from Austria and one player from Canada plus one from North Dakota, the rest were all Minnesota born. Schools with less tradition and hockey base have to get more of their players from Canada and generally the elite Canadian talent goes to bigger schools like Wisconsin(Heatley), North Dakota(Toews), Michigan State(Duncan Keith) or Michigan(Cammalleri). Many of the other schools have less local talent to draw from so those schools end up with more Canadians who are good but not necessarily elite players. Now many of these players develop in their time in college to be great players like Martin St. Louis(Vermont) for example.

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
I think not being able to recruit Canadians isn't their major problem. It would be the fact that they have to commit to the Army or Air Force more so. So they don't get the top US talent coming there. The majority of championship teams recently have been around at least 75-80% American born players. I believe that Minnesota won in 2003 with only Tomas Vanek from Austria and one player from Canada plus one from North Dakota, the rest were all Minnesota born. Schools with less tradition and hockey base have to get more of their players from Canada and generally the elite Canadian talent goes to bigger schools like Wisconsin(Heatley), North Dakota(Toews), Michigan State(Duncan Keith) or Michigan(Cammalleri). Many of the other schools have less local talent to draw from so those schools end up with more Canadians who are good but not necessarily elite players. Now many of these players develop in their time in college to be great players like Martin St. Louis(Vermont) for example.

Minnesota ALWAYS is almost always(or is always) ALL Minnesotan. A big controversy in MN(state) in the early 90's when St Cloud came in the league was their(SCSU) recruiting Canadians to play because the state of MN helped build their arena for amateur sport initiatives. Recently(the past few years) their was a bill in the MN legislature to ban all state schools(not the the U or UMD) from offering athletic scholarships to non US citizens. Right now St Cloud has the 2nd most Minnesotans on the roster and the other MN schools in D1 will eventually get their share once they become established..

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
some of the US hockey conferences are weird. Main issue is that outside of the NE, not many schools have top hockey programs, so the traditional football/bball conferences dont really work.

Of the stranger things:
Why is USAF in the atlantic?
Why is alaska in the CCHA?
ECAC makes sense, basically the Ivy League + some liberty league teams and some other private schools with good hockey programs.
Hockey East also makes sense, and it has two big east teams.
WCHA is wierd. You'd think fairbanks and USAF would just join them, and let MTU and OSU go to the CCHA.

and then there is alabama-huntsville, the only southern college hockey program.
A few of these have been touched on, but I'll give it a shot.

-The two service academies are together due to rivalry reasons and the fact that Atlantic Hockey (a league which has limited scholarships) gives them both a chance to be competitive as their recruiting pool is limited.

-The two Alaska schools are split for budget reasons and the fact that it lets more schools get an extra two games (there's a NCAA rule which lets teams who play in Alaska or Hawaii get an extra set of games).

-Hockey East is a league which broke away from the ECAC twenty-five years ago due to academic and playing concerns (The Ivies have their own rules). U Conn didn't have a D1 team then which is why the Huskies are in Atlantic Hockey despite playing the Big East.

-OSU is in the CCHA for men's hockey and besides history (the Huskies own the regular season trophy), Michigan Tech (which is situated in the UP of Michigan) is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Detroit. They make up for it by playing their rival Northern Michigan twice a year and Michigan and MSU in a Christmas tournament in Detroit every year.

Other than Minnesota and the two service academies, most schools are made up of a combination of Americans and Canadians.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
A few of these have been touched on, but I'll give it a shot.

-The two service academies are together due to rivalry reasons and the fact that Atlantic Hockey (a league which has limited scholarships) gives them both a chance to be competitive as their recruiting pool is limited.

-The two Alaska schools are split for budget reasons and the fact that it lets more schools get an extra two games (there's a NCAA rule which lets teams who play in Alaska or Hawaii get an extra set of games).

-Hockey East is a league which broke away from the ECAC twenty-five years ago due to academic and playing concerns (The Ivies have their own rules). U Conn didn't have a D1 team then which is why the Huskies are in Atlantic Hockey despite playing the Big East.

-OSU is in the CCHA for men's hockey and besides history (the Huskies own the regular season trophy), Michigan Tech (which is situated in the UP of Michigan) is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Detroit. They make up for it by playing their rival Northern Michigan twice a year and Michigan and MSU in a Christmas tournament in Detroit every year.

Other than Minnesota and the two service academies, most schools are made up of a combination of Americans and Canadians.

Of course that's true. Just that the bigger schools have a higher percentage of Americans because they get the better Americans. Smaller schools have a harder time getting top-tier American talent so they end up filling their rosters with Canadians.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It's a matter of open scholarships. The US will PAY students to get a college degree and play hockey. Canada won't that's why I want the CIS to join the NCAA and DII. I would like to see Canada get into the scholarship system.

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
It's a matter of open scholarships. The US will PAY students to get a college degree and play hockey. Canada won't that's why I want the CIS to join the NCAA and DII. I would like to see Canada get into the scholarship system.

D2 does not have hockey in the NCAA. All hokey schools are either D1 or D3. Any school that plays in D3 does not offer scholarships. Now here is where it gets complex with D1. When the NCAA went to the division structure there were several schools who went the D3 route BUT played D1 in one sport. The NCAA grandfathered these schools in so they ARE allowed to offer scholarships in that sport only. Now any D3 school that wants to move their hockey program up is allowed to do so but CANNOT offer scholarships IF their athletic department remains in D3 for all other sports. A number of D1 hockey schools are D2 in all other sports but play hockey in D1. The NCAA does allow a school to play up in ONE sport(but not football or basketball) as those are the major money makers. Thats why (to use an example) St. Cloud State a D2 school in all other sports plays in the WCHA, a major D1 hockey only league.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
D2 does not have hockey in the NCAA. All hokey schools are either D1 or D3. Any school that plays in D3 does not offer scholarships. Now here is where it gets complex with D1. When the NCAA went to the division structure there were several schools who went the D3 route BUT played D1 in one sport. The NCAA grandfathered these schools in so they ARE allowed to offer scholarships in that sport only. Now any D3 school that wants to move their hockey program up is allowed to do so but CANNOT offer scholarships IF their athletic department remains in D3 for all other sports. A number of D1 hockey schools are D2 in all other sports but play hockey in D1. The NCAA does allow a school to play up in ONE sport(but not football or basketball) as those are the major money makers. Thats why (to use an example) St. Cloud State a D2 school in all other sports plays in the WCHA, a major D1 hockey only league.

There is a division II in hockey, http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/sponsorship?sortOrder=0&division=2&sport=MIH

They play Division 3 schools and are within Div 3 conferences. (I damn well know that from going to a div III school.)

The complication with CIS schools joining the NCAA is the acceptance of junior players who are considered 'professional' players under NCAA rules. The NCAA has been rumored to be working on this and changing the rules in case CIS schools begin to go to the NCAA in droves.

Div II would be the apt sport because Div I schools would complain about having schools with players who were paid. The CIS schools would complain about going to a division with scholarship athletes when Canada currently isn't.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
It's 650 miles from Nashville to Toronto--100 miles less than the distance between Calgary and Winnipeg.

That's not the important comparison. What matters is how far a perspective host city is from a major Canadian population centre. Grand Forks is 3 hours from Winnipeg and Buffalo is 1 1/2 hours from Hamilton. Nashville has to be like 10 or 12 hours of driving.

Mihairokov

May 30, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Having driven through Tennessee and Georgia this past August, I can vouch for how long of a drive it is from Canada. Driving from New Brunswick, it took us 22 hours to reach Columbus, Ohio, and then another 10 or so to Atlanta. If you wanted to drive straight down it would take over a day...it's a long haul, but if you're that hyped up for the World Juniors i'm sure it would be possible. Ontario is closer, obviously.

The problem with the World Juniors, for Canadians, is that a lot of people that attach themselves and watch it are mostly watching because it's Canada, not because it's hockey, per se. That is, there's a lot of national bandwagon-ing that happens during the juniors. I'm sure if the Juniors were held somewhere in the states more than a five hour drive south of the border there wouldn't be very many Canadian fans making the trek. Groups and the like would go down, surely, but it wouldn't be to the same extent that Buffalo was.

I'd love to see Nashville/Atlanta/San Jose-area host a Junior tournament at some point. As for the Frozen Four, that would certainly be pivotal in sparking some kind of collegiate interest in hockey. Anything helps, right?

Atlanta's a great area, as is Nashville, and i'm sure either would do a stand-up job of hosting either the Juniors or Frozen Four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->