Rumor: Nashville Interested in Panarin

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
No you don't, because "taking a shot" requires multiple high quality assets being moved for maybe a 5% increase in your odds of winning the Cup, which even with a 5% increase would be well below 50% even for the best team.

We're 8-0-2 against the Lightning the past 5 years including 2-0 this year, both games without Arvidsson.

Iv seen my team’s window open and close, it goes fast. Id shoot for it while you can. If it costs a 1st and Tolvanan then I do it in a heart beat. You make it seem like Nashville is set up to have a 10 year window for the cup.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Jets better throw their hat into the ring and offer up a Roslovic based deal. Pure rental obviously.

Columbus gets a center who will hopefully be the 2C and someone who would probably love to play out his career as a Blue Jacket. God knows we need players who would want to play here.
Roslovic isn't getting traded for a rental. Chevy, Roslovic's agent, and Roslovic have all said publicly that he's staying a Jet long term and they all agree he's part of the plans.

Roslovic's ceiling is just way too high for a pure rental, even for someone as good as Panarin.

Reactions: BatVader

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Iv seen my team’s window open and close, it goes fast. Id shoot for it while you can. If it costs a 1st and Tolvanan then I do it in a heart beat. You make it seem like Nashville is set up to have a 10 year window for the cup.

Like, our entire core is under 30 years old. It's not a 10 year window but it's not even close to closing either.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Roslovic isn't getting traded for a rental. Chevy, Roslovic's agent, and Roslovic have all said publicly that he's staying a Jet long term and they all agree he's part of the plans.

Roslovic's ceiling is just way too high for a pure rental, even for someone as good as Panarin.

*sigh* . yeahhhhh, I saw those comments too. Wishful thinking over here.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'm sure a lot of teams are "interested" in Panarin. He's a fantastic talent.

Columbus still in a playoff hunt. You get the feeling they'll make it as hard as possible for a team to acquire Panarin.

Think it would have to be a ridiculous package

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Not too sure what I'd throw out there given that the guy seems pretty hard to negotiate with. If you trade for him with no assurance you'll be able to extend him, you have to trade under the premise that you are going to lose him in the offseason.

I'd do a 1st+Smith+ any prospect not named Tolvanen OR 1st+ Fiala + Mid round pick.

I think he'd crush it on the Preds, however the roster is setup well enough that it's not worth it to create a big hole in your lineup for future years gambling on it resulting in a Cup this season. There's just too much uncertainty once you get into the playoffs, crazy things happen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wouldn't give up Tolvanen and a 1st without any guarantees. I would want the 1st to be conditional on either winning the Cup or re-signing Panarin. I'm thinking of something like Tolvanen + Smith + a 2nd, with that 2nd becoming a 1st if either of those conditions are satisfied.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I wouldn't give up Tolvanen and a 1st without any guarantees. I would want the 1st to be conditional on either winning the Cup or re-signing Panarin. I'm thinking of something like Tolvanen + Smith + a 2nd, with that 2nd becoming a 1st if either of those conditions are satisfied.
that would be insane to trade tolvanen ++ for anyone that is most likely a pure rental.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
that would be insane to trade tolvanen ++ for anyone that is most likely a pure rental.
Yes, it would. Rentals don't get top prospects.

You have a point, but this also isn't your average rental. He's a game breaker and would be one of the best rentals ever. I'm not sure that an average rental price is going to be enough to convince Columbus to trade him.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
You have a point, but this also isn't your average rental. He's a game breaker and would be one of the best rentals ever. I'm not sure that an average rental price is going to be enough to convince Columbus to trade him.

Kovalchuk didn't get a top prospect. Neither did Hossa.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Panarin is exactly the type of player who can get the Preds over the hump.

If we look at the "weaknesses" of the Preds compared to other contenders, they're a little light in top 6 C however you can't get a superstar C via trade (no, Duchene is not a superstar and very unproven in the playoffs) so there's really nothing you can do about it to improve big time.

Their D is great. Goaltending is fine. Depth is good.

However, who are the gamebreakers? Forsberg is their best forward. He needs some more high-end support.

What Panarin did against the Caps last year in the Blue Jackets only 2 wins was the definition of gamebreaking.

If you can't improve down the middle the next best thing to do is do it on the wing. Last year 2nd line become a problem. Panarin - Turris - Smith, that's pretty gud.

Things won't get much better for the Preds. Their window is open. I like Tolvanen and have watched him a ton especially last year, but i still think his ceiling is 2nd line W. Plus he's kinda struggled this season. I'd give him up for Bread Man.

Come on down Poile, the time is nigh. This would give me the same feel as when LA acquired Gaborik. Team that knows how to grind and has great defense adds a lethal shooter.

On a second thought, im a Jets fan. This is appropriate.

tenor-1-gif.184153

This. He really could be the missing piece that might help put NSH over the top. I'd say go all in for him if you're NSH.

NSH is a good fit, Western Conference, have the assets and players to get him. I'd pull the trigger on this if I was David Poile.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Kovalchuk didn't get a top prospect. Neither did Hossa.

A player of Panarin's impact hasn't moved at the deadline in recent years but Tatar did get a 1, 2, 3.

It's just weird that someone of his caliber would move.

Kovie was similar and he did bring a 1st, good roster player, good young roster player and prospect (prospect went with him so neutralize those two). To say a top prospect is impossible seems farfetched.

Reactions: Fro

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
A player of Panarin's impact hasn't moved at the deadline in recent years but Tatar did get a 1, 2, 3.

It's just weird that someone of his caliber would move.

Kovie was similar and he did bring a 1st, good roster player, good young roster player and prospect (prospect went with him so neutralize those two). To say a top prospect is impossible seems farfetched.

Tatar wasn't a rental. Name a top prospect that got moved for a rental, please. I never said it was impossible, only that they're never moved for rentals. Nothing is impossible, but I think it would be a first. A bunch of decent-to-good stuff, yep, that happens all the time. Tons of examples of that. A top prospect? Can't recall any.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Tatar wasn't a rental. Name a top prospect that got moved for a rental, please. I never said it was impossible, only that they're never moved for rentals. Nothing is impossible, but I think it would be a first. A bunch of decent-to-good stuff, yep, that happens all the time. Tons of examples of that. A top prospect? Can't recall any.
Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall were pretty highly regarded when they were a part of the Peter Forsberg trade.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall were pretty highly regarded when they were a part of the Peter Forsberg trade.

Yeah, they were both good, but nothing spectacular. That's yet another example of a bunch of good pieces. Upshall was already 23 or 24 if I remember right and had barely broken into the NHL.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, they were both good, but nothing spectacular. That's yet another example of a bunch of good pieces. Upshall was already 23 or 24 if I remember right and had barely broken into the NHL.

This can be difficult since we have hindsight now.

Duclair for Yandle
Forsberg for Erat
1st, 2nd, Fleischman for Lang
Neiuwendyk for Iginla

Examples like Gustavvason, Foley, Howden, etc are all more A prospects that are like the #3 or 4 instead of the 1 or 2. Still really close to counting.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
This can be difficult since we have hindsight now.

Duclair for Yandle
Forsberg for Erat
1st, 2nd, Fleischman for Lang
Neiuwendyk for Iginla

Examples like Gustavvason, Foley, Howden, etc are all more A prospects that are like the #3 or 4 instead of the 1 or 2. Still really close to counting.

Erat wasn't a rental.
Fleischman was a 2nd round pick coming off of a very mediocre AHL season, and I don't think Lang was a UFA rental either, why's this even in there?
Duclair was a 3rd rounder with a good overage season in the Q and had 18 NHL games played. Certainly not a top prospect around the league.
Neiuwendyk was a trade-and-sign, immediately signed for 5 or 6 years I think, far from a pure rental.

Try again. Tolvanen was top 10 on basically every league wide prospect ranking at the start of this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->