Rumor: Nashville Interested in Panarin

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Panarin is exactly the type of player who can get the Preds over the hump.

If we look at the "weaknesses" of the Preds compared to other contenders, they're a little light in top 6 C however you can't get a superstar C via trade (no, Duchene is not a superstar and very unproven in the playoffs) so there's really nothing you can do about it to improve big time.

Their D is great. Goaltending is fine. Depth is good.

However, who are the gamebreakers? Forsberg is their best forward. He needs some more high-end support.

What Panarin did against the Caps last year in the Blue Jackets only 2 wins was the definition of gamebreaking.

If you can't improve down the middle the next best thing to do is do it on the wing. Last year 2nd line become a problem. Panarin - Turris - Smith, that's pretty gud.

Things won't get much better for the Preds. Their window is open. I like Tolvanen and have watched him a ton especially last year, but i still think his ceiling is 2nd line W. Plus he's kinda struggled this season. I'd give him up for Bread Man.

Come on down Poile, the time is nigh. This would give me the same feel as when LA acquired Gaborik. Team that knows how to grind and has great defense adds a lethal shooter.

On a second thought, im a Jets fan. This is appropriate.

tenor-1-gif.184153

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If that truly was the asking price and Panarin won't talk extension as has been reported, he'll 100% stay with Columbus and go his merry way in the offseason. My guess is that he's traded, and certainly for less than that.

Those pieces won't help Nashville to win the Cup, while Panarin will.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Those pieces won't help Nashville to win the Cup, while Panarin will.

Will he? He'd make them better, for sure, but there are no guarantees. The fact is, rentals just don't command that kind of price, period. And it's not like the Preds window shuts this year or something. Check out the contracts and ages of their best players, there's no need to make a stupid overpayment for a single playoff run.

Reactions: adsfan and Gh24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Will he? He'd make them better, for sure, but there are no guarantees. The fact is, rentals just don't command that kind of price, period. And it's not like the Preds window shuts this year or something. Check out the contracts and ages of their best players, there's no need to make a stupid overpayment for a single playoff run.
Exactly. If we had a bunch of contracts coming up or a bunch of guys getting old it would be one thing, but burning all of that for one player who won't be around leaves you with nothing the next year except an empty slot and another Cup run to make with essentially zero anything to work with as trade material at all.

Reactions: adsfan and Gh24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If that truly was the asking price and Panarin won't talk extension as has been reported, he'll 100% stay with Columbus and go his merry way in the offseason. My guess is that he's traded, and certainly for less than that.
They are asking Debrusk+1st+ from Boston so the poster you quoted was accurate of the ask. And to be clear while its not likely he stays he has only stated he wants to see what FA is like and has never said he isnt resigning here ever. But we as fans are all fine with self rental and dont let the door hit him on the way out if thats how it goes. If they want panarin they are going to have to make us trade him.

This is the reason I think the price won't be more than 1st + Fiala (plus possible minor pieces). Panarin being open about not staying in Columbus is a leverage other GMs have.

I don't know what Panarin has said about his preferable locations, but judging by some comments I've seen here, Nashville doesn't seem likely, does it?

It's not that, yet.

Kekalainen is asking too much (like he should), but as the trade deadline approaches, he's going to have to settle for less unless he wants to use Panarin as a rental himself. I guess 1st + roster player is somewhere between the high ask and losing Panarin for nothing.
#1 Panarin has never once indicated he isnt sogning here just that he wants to test the market. #2 its not losing him for nothing its keeping him for our own run. We only make a whole by moving him so unless we are filling a whole in the trade we are losing nothing.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

A PPG player will definitely help Nashville win the cup. Columbus really doesn't have a lot up skill up front. They rely on working hard and more often then not they get rewarded, but that doesn't really cater to Panarins game.

Adding Panarin to a team with actual skill would instantly take that team to the next level. If there's any year for them to go all in. This might be it.

Having pieces like Fabbro, Tolvanen, Fiala, and picks still in the cupboard is great, but eventually you have to take a shot.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
A PPG player will definitely help Nashville win the cup. Columbus really doesn't have a lot up skill up front. They rely on working hard and more often then not they get rewarded, but that doesn't really cater to Panarins game.

Adding Panarin to a team with actual skill would instantly take that team to the next level. If there's any year for them to go all in. This might be it.

Having pieces like Fabbro, Tolvanen, Fiala, and picks still in the cupboard is great, but eventually you have to take a shot.

No, he won't "definitely help Nashville win the cup". He would definitely give Nashville a better chance to win the cup for one single postseason. Whether that's worth all of those assets is up for debate I suppose, but I say no. And why might this be the year? What will be different about their roster next year? Answer: Not a thing if they so choose. However, they should have the cap space to chase a top UFA and add them for multiple years. Sounds like a much better option to me. And if that doesn't work out they'll still have those assets to trade for a player that is under team control for more than a couple of months.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeauxPreds1

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
No, he won't "definitely help Nashville win the cup". He would definitely give Nashville a better chance to win the cup for one single postseason. Whether that's worth all of those assets is up for debate I suppose, but I say no. And why might this be the year? What will be different about their roster next year? Answer: Not a thing if they so choose. However, they should have the cap space to chase a top UFA and add them for multiple years. Sounds like a much better option to me. And if that doesn't work out they'll still have those assets to trade for a player that is under team control for more than a couple of months.

Because right now you dont match up to Tampa. Adding Panarin changes that. I understand anything could happen in the playoffs but at some point you need to go all in. Players like this dont come around every deadline

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fiala + 1st?
I'd strongly consider it. That said, I'm feeling kind of greedy and want someone like Kondelik or Pitlick thrown in as well.

For other Jackets fans who don't know the Preds prospect system - those guys are C prospects doing good things in the NCAA right now.

* * *​
I personally wouldnt trade him. Fair IMO is going to be a hockey trade that gives us back someone who may not be the same level as bread but is young with upside. I personally like deals Ive seen with Donato from Boston.
Fiala fits that description exactly. And he's considerably better than Donato right now.

* * *​
Tolvanen Fiala 1st plz

Otherwise we keep

Okay bai

giphy.gif
The Preds fan in me just shakes her head at any mention of Tolvanen. That said, I don't think we need to aim that high. Certainly I'd want a good prospect thrown in, but I don't think said prospect needs to be quite at that level of name recognition.

* * *​
It's not that, yet.

Kekalainen is asking too much (like he should), but as the trade deadline approaches, he's going to have to settle for less unless he wants to use Panarin as a rental himself. I guess 1st + roster player is somewhere between the high ask and losing Panarin for nothing.
He does - and we were pretty sure that would be the plan when this whole thing first got started last July.

Reactions: Gh24

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
This isn't really a rumour. They called and hung up right away after they were told what the price was. As have probably every team in the league

Reactions: preds1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Jackets are probably going to lose both Bobrovsky and Panarin for nothing because they're setting way too high of a price on them as rentals.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
"Exploring the thought" - you'd be an idiot to not at least think of it.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
but eventually you have to take a shot.

No you don't, because "taking a shot" requires multiple high quality assets being moved for maybe a 5% increase in your odds of winning the Cup, which even with a 5% increase would be well below 50% even for the best team.

Because right now you dont match up to Tampa. Adding Panarin changes that. I understand anything could happen in the playoffs but at some point you need to go all in. Players like this dont come around every deadline

We're 8-0-2 against the Lightning the past 5 years including 2-0 this year, both games without Arvidsson.

Reactions: adsfan

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The Jackets are probably going to lose both Bobrovsky and Panarin for nothing because they're setting way too high of a price on them as rentals.
Don't really get jarmo's rationale on that

Set the trade price sky high so that you feel better about deciding to move on from (even though nobody will pay the price) or holding on to them for a half hearted playoff run that will not result in a cup and lose them both for nothing in the summer

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's possible. And the next tier down are asking for a 1st/prospect. Teams don't are shocked by the high end prices and don't want to spend for the second tier prices either. Seems like right now they're going for a 3rd tier down, where they can just part with a 2nd round pick. I think a lot of values are going to be reduced big time for last minute deals. But, of course, then we'll hear things like "Told you that player wasn't worth a first", etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't really get jarmo's rationale on that

Set the trade price sky high so that you feel better about deciding to move on from (even though nobody will pay the price) or holding on to them for a half hearted playoff run that will not result in a cup and lose them both for nothing in the summer

I'd keep Panarin and trade Bobrovsky if I was Jarmo. Keeping Bobrovsky is a really bad decision as far as I can tell, but you can easily justify keeping Panarin as an "own rental". You can't justify that with Bobrovsky, considering his play this year and the circus around him.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd keep Panarin and trade Bobrovsky if I was Jarmo. Keeping Bobrovsky is a really bad decision as far as I can tell, but you can easily justify keeping Panarin as an "own rental". You can't justify that with Bobrovsky, considering his play this year and the circus around him.
A Bob trade might not happen simply because he has an NTC.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Panarin should get at least a #1, a top prospect and a conditional pick based off him either resigning or playoff performance of the receiving team.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Jets better throw their hat into the ring and offer up a Roslovic based deal. Pure rental obviously.

Columbus gets a center who will hopefully be the 2C and someone who would probably love to play out his career as a Blue Jacket. God knows we need players who would want to play here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->