Proposal: Nashville-Edmonton

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I have two trade scenarios with Drai just signed recently and the Oilers look like they could use some cap shedding for future seasons.

1. Craig Smith, Alexandre Carrier, and a conditional 1st rounder (Preds must make playoffs) for RNH and Khaira.

2. Jarnkrok and Carrier for RNH.

Reasoning:

Nashville:
1. Smith had a poor season, and is being overshadowed by a lot of wingers. With Smith gone, Jarnkrok can still play as a RWer. Upgrading Smith to RNH (A needed 2C) for just $1,750,000 more is great value. Carrier is a great AHL PPQB, but that's just about it, especially for a team with a deep Dcore like the Preds.

2. Upgrading from Jarnkrok to RNH is definitely worth the price tag. RNH played poorly because he was relied as the shutdown center agianst elite competition, facing some of the most elite competition in the league. With the Preds RNH would be facing far easier and with better partners on the 2nd line as well. See above for Carrier.

Edmonton:
1. Edmonton's RHS winger depth is thin even with Puljujarvi in the mix. They could definitely use a top 6 proven winger with Eberle gone. Smith also has the speed to keep up with McDavid and is a great possession player. He saves you cap hit as well. Carrier is a PPQB RHD, someone that the Oilers need. Strome can technically play 3C in this scenario.

2. Jarnkrok is a very cheap versatile center/winger. Saves you a ton of cap hit and gives you a capable 3C that is great defensively and can still chip in offensively.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I can see your point, and I'm sure the Preds would love to add RNH, but I'm not sure the value is right to bring him to Smashville.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ask an Oiler fan who like RNH I have to say offer number 2 isn't bad . RNH will be moved for cap space so the Smith trade wouldn't save enough $$$ .

Still not sure we should be dealing with Nashville as I think going forward they will be a road block towards winning a cup . They are a very good team as it is

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I don't think EDM moves RNH until next offseason before the McDavid deal hits the cap bill. As previously mentioned Smith (a cap dump himself) doesn't do them any good.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Preds and Oilers don't really make for good trading partners right now as both are looking to compete for the Cup.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Couldn't be less interested in Smith, he's on a greased slide to capdumpville. No reason to give up Khaira either, he's young, skilled, big, and cheap.

2nd proposal is better but no reason to do it until the offseason.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
No it doesn't. Check Cap friendly. I think you're a bit confused as to what Edmonton's cap situation is like moving forward. They have room.

Capfriendly projects they have ~14mil to sign Strome, Letestu, Maroon, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Nurse and Jokinen. I'm not saying they will sign all of them but that looks like a tough cap situation to me.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
No it doesn't. Check Cap friendly. I think you're a bit confused as to what Edmonton's cap situation is like moving forward. They have room.

For next season, not this season, they'll be at about 62 million with 12 players signed. Their forward free agents are going to be

RFA

Strome
Slepyshev
Caggiula
Pakarinen

UFA
Letestu
Maroon
Jokinen

Their blue line free agents are going to be

Nurse and Benning.

They also have their backup goalie as a free agent.

Even if the cap goes up from 75 to 77 that leaves them with 15 million for 9-13 players on the main roster.

Edit, Actually I'm wrong its not 62 million, its more like 64 million because they still have Poulliot and Laggeson on their payroll for a few more seasons, so that's 13 million for 9 to 13 players.

thadman

Jul 23, 2015
Capfriendly projects they have ~14mil to sign Strome, Letestu, Maroon, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Nurse and Jokinen. I'm not saying they will sign all of them but that looks like a tough cap situation to me.

Strome ~ $3.75M
Letestu ~ $2.0M
Maroon ~ $2.5M
Caggiula ~ $1.5M
Slepyshev ~ $1.5M
Benning ~ $1.5M
Nurse ~ $3.0M
Broissoit ~$1.5M

Fayne and Jokinen walk.

I don't know a ton about some of the depth Oilers so I rounded up to $1.5M to be conservative. In total, this is $17.25 million, which puts Edmonton over the cap by $3 million or so with a roster of 12F 7D 2G. Any combination of a rising cap or not resigning these guys in favour of younger talent (Yamamoto) should get them under the ceiling.

I could see them trading one of RNH or Lucic for flexibility, but I think it's possible to be cap compliant without it.

thadman

Jul 23, 2015
For next season, not this season, they'll be at about 62 million with 12 players signed. Their forward free agents are going to be

RFA

Strome
Slepyshev
Caggiula
Pakarinen

UFA
Letestu
Maroon
Jokinen

Their blue line free agents are going to be

Nurse and Benning.

They also have their backup goalie as a free agent.

Even if the cap goes up from 75 to 77 that leaves them with 15 million for 9-13 players on the main roster.

Edit, Actually I'm wrong its not 62 million, its more like 64 million because they still have Poulliot and Laggeson on their payroll for a few more seasons, so that's 13 million for 9 to 13 players.

Per Capfriendly, they will be at $60,783,667 including buyout penalties, with 13 players signed (includes Khaira).

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Strome ~ $3.75M
Letestu ~ $2.0M
Maroon ~ $2.5M
Caggiula ~ $1.5M
Slepyshev ~ $1.5M
Benning ~ $1.5M
Nurse ~ $3.0M
Broissoit ~$1.5M

Fayne and Jokinen walk.

I don't know a ton about some of the depth Oilers so I rounded up to $1.5M to be conservative. In total, this is $17.25 million, which puts Edmonton over the cap by $3 million or so with a roster of 12F 7D 2G. Any combination of a rising cap or not resigning these guys in favour of younger talent (Yamamoto) should get them under the ceiling.

I could see them trading one of RNH or Lucic for flexibility, but I think it's possible to be cap compliant without it.

I think there's a good chance that Letestu and Maroon are not re-signed.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
What exactly do you mean?

I mean that in your first offer, EDM gives up a little too much, it's not fair value-wise. Your second proposition is not bad, but I still think the players EDM would get won't bring that much value to the actual team. I think if they move RNH it will be for something more valuable to them.

Like maybe something like this (not necessarily this):

I think something like Fiala+1st for RNH+ would make more sense

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

I agree that Edmonton for the 2017/18 Season is good however Chia should not delay to much on Cap Management or he will have to deal from weakness and reacting to the cap as opposed to being proactive and managing the cap.

Its the 2019/20 Season where I see the Oilers cap situation could really start to be difficult to manage, with $54 M tied up in 5 forwards and 4 dmen

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think there's a good chance that Letestu and Maroon are not re-signed.

Edit: that's your 2nd and 4th top playoff scorers you're letting go.

I'm a bit baffled that you think they'd let go of Maroon and Letestu at $2.5m and $2m each. Yet you're willing to pay Strome $3.75m. Maroon and Letestu have been better players than Strome.

Last edited:

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Edit: that's your 2nd and 4th top playoff scorers you're letting go.

I'm a bit baffled that you think they'd let go of Maroon and Letestu at $2.5m and $2m each. Yet you're willing to pay Strome $3.75m. Maroon and Letestu have been better players than Strome.

1. Maroon is a smart man and there's a very good chance that he's in a unique situation next season as an UFA coming off two very good seasons. I expect him to cash in and get paid on his next contract. That's why I think he will leave. I would be surprised if he chooses to stay in Edmonton for less money than what he could get elsewhere.
2. Letestu is really versatile and I would prefer to keep him over Maroon for many non-points related reasons (he should be inexpensive to sign, you can play him in a lot of different game situations, he can win faceoffs, etc.). I'm not convinced that Chia will bring him back unless he dramatically out plays the younger C's on the team gunning for his spot.
3. I haven't watched enough to Strome to feel comfortable commenting on what he should be paid next season. I'm comfortable letting this season play out and then reassessing what his next contract should be next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad