Proposal: Nashville - Columbus

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Capped per year at the AAV of his contract ($7.825M I believe). With the team heading into a rebuild it's easily manageable.
their contracts have 7 years left after this season right? Thats alot of dead cap. can really hold a team back. never know how fast a rebuild can go. if they are planning on making a move like that. I think the return would have to be MUCH better. top prospects/top picks things like that.
Retaining that kind of salary for that kinda term doesn't come cheap

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
their contracts have 7 years left after this season right? Thats alot of dead cap. can really hold a team back. never know how fast a rebuild can go. if they are planning on making a move like that. I think the return would have to be MUCH better. top prospects/top picks things like that.
Retaining that kind of salary for that kinda term doesn't come cheap
I think it's something like 4 for Johansen and 6 for Duchene, but yeah it definitely doesn't work for us. Most of us are down on Johansen and Duchene right now, don't mind if we trade one or both, but to eat that much off their contracts and not get much worthwhile back for a rebuild...not happening.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think it's something like 4 for Johansen and 6 for Duchene, but yeah it definitely doesn't work for us. Most of us are down on Johansen and Duchene right now, don't mind if we trade one or both, but to eat that much off their contracts and not get much worthwhile back for a rebuild...not happening.

There is too much risk for any team to trade for Duchene or Johanson without retention. The problem is they are overpayed and havent lived up to their contracts, not that they are useless players. If Nashville would take bad contracts back, then I`m sure 1st:s and prospects would be coming their way. But then we would be talking about Neal, Skinner, Bobrovsky type of players

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Try 50% on either one and lower your expections. I doubt Columbus would give up Texier for either.

Posters bring up dead cap on contracts like these without being honest that the player at double the dead cap holds negative value especially in this current market. Said team doesn’t want to eat 50% dead cap. Meanwhile same team also certainly doesn’t want to eat double the dead cap on a player not producing nevermind any future assets garnered in trade.

Same thing we hear when people discuss Skinner trade proposal’s. Simple fact is if the dead cap and assets back out weight the value of player at the current cap who cares?

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If both of those players hasn’t previously been in Columbus, no one would even propose something like this. And yes, the Blue Jackets are in need of centers, and those two guys profile as guys with the right skill-set.

But everyone knows how poorly both of those guys are playing, but even really just below their contracts but just poor. And then those contracts, retentions or not.

Additionally, Johansen to CBJ is problematic. I just don’t see it happening under any circumstances.

I would probably consider Duchene retained for something significantly less than the return in the OP. But maybe only consider it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Duchene
for
Domi + ???

If the "???" is anybody else with salary that Columbus has no use for (not sure if there is such a player at present), that could balance everything out for this year and next year. The problem is the 4 years after that. Unless you weaponize that trade opportunity to pick up a draft pick + somebody else's cap dump, then send that cap dump to Nashville as the "???". :dunno:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Just don't see this one. CBJ doesn't want to add salary when they have Laine, Jones, Werenski and others to pay in the very near future. Not to mention neither player is playing well and that's a lot of money tied up long term. Hard pass from CBJ, especially for the return in OP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad