- Matt Duchene 8M/yr UFA 2026 - Nashville retain 25%

Columbus 12M in total. Columbus add 2M to their lineup

Nashville get:

- Max Domi 5,3M/yr UFA 2022
- Boone Jenner 3,75M/yr UFA 2022
- Alexandre Texier 0,9M/yr RFA 2021
-3rd 2021
- 2nd 2022

Nashville 10M + 4M for the retained contracts 2M savings in total.

Who do this trade?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Columbus after trade:

Laine - Johansen - Atkinson
Roslovic - Duchene - Björkstrand
Bemström - Foligno-Robinson
prospect - Nash - Stenlund

Werenski - Jones
Carlsson - Savard
Gavrikov - Del Zotto

Korpi
Kivlenieks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Columbus can do it. I almost said I'd think about it if it was just Duchene at $6m and for free, but the way he is playing right now I don't think I'd want him at all.

Both Johansen and Duchene left Jackets, Joahnsen on bad terms, Im pretty sure Jackets dont want any part of this

I don't think there's any personal issue with Duchene if he wanted to go back to Columbus. He said he had the best moment of his career there.

Johansen certainly is a non-starter as long as Jarmo or Torts are still around. They had some very serious issues. I'm not sure if he can play anymore either.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
That's a lot of retention for a long time, very unrealistic

Frees up 12 million for Nashville. Both Domi and Jenner have short contracts and Texier has value as he is a RFA next. Nashville will get Rinne, Granlund and Haula of the books too in the offseason latest. Johanson has never worked for Nashville and Duchene seem worse there. This gives some value back and Nashville can start a rebuild for the future. I`d also actually retain 75% on Granlunds salary for a 1st at the deadline if I`m Nashville to get some futures.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Johansen and Duchene, while better centers, still aren’t Torts centers.

maybe, you get Nashville to retain on one, of them. As mentioned above that is a lot of retention for a long time.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well if Johansen is a stumbling block, I'm more than willing to see a revision with him, Texier, and the draft picks removed.

Duchene for whatever contracts you need to dump for balance would be interesting. Then the challenge would be retention. Duchene still seems to have all his speed and skill. It is just completely ineffective for us so far, whether due to coaching systems or chemistry or what, I don't know. I don't really want to be paying him $2M a year to play somewhere else if things start clicking for him again. But we can talk about that, it's not unreasonable to bring it into the conversation considering the respective contract terms here. Too bad there wasn't such a thing as "conditional retention"! :)

Ledge And Dairy

Frees up 12 million for Nashville. Both Domi and Jenner have short contracts and Texier has value as he is a RFA next. Nashville will get Rinne, Granlund and Haula of the books too in the offseason latest. Johanson has never worked for Nashville and Duchene seem worse there. This gives some value back and Nashville can start a rebuild for the future. I`d also actually retain 75% on Granlunds salary for a 1st at the deadline if I`m Nashville to get some futures.
You seem confused on the idea of a small market team spending 22M on 2 players not playing for them

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You seem confused on the idea of a small market team spending 22M on 2 players not playing for them

4M/yr... When they havent found any chemistry in Nashville at 16M/yr, 4M isnt too bad. When you overpay players for long contracts and dont get the results you like, you usually retain or trade for a similar player.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Johansen and Duchene, while better centers, still aren’t Torts centers.

maybe, you get Nashville to retain on one, of them. As mentioned above that is a lot of retention for a long time.

I bet JK isnt looking for "Torts-centers". I somehow think that Torts will move on after the season. Columbus is looking for long-term centers, not centers for 3 months of Torts.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I bet JK isnt looking for "Torts-centers". I somehow think that Torts will move on after the season. Columbus is looking for long-term centers, not centers for 3 months of Torts.
Fair enough. They aren’t centers that are going to change the culture of the team. I don’t see them as good adds for any team trying to change.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am extremely ambivalent, but that's possibly because of having little faith in those guys bouncing back after watching them disappoint me for so long.

Reactions: majormajor

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Nashville needs some tweaks and a new coach, not a rebuild. And even if they did want/need to rebuild, this trade accomplishes that how? Another trade with players going one way for whatever scraps are under the couch cushions. Brutal. If you propsed this a cap dump deal it would make more sense.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
So Nashville gets out of the Duchene/Johansen contracts, but they have to pay a large amount of real cash. At the same time, they now have one top six center in Domi (although that’s kind of questionable) and they don’t pick up any substantial future assets. How does this help Nashville again? :huh:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
So Nashville gets out of the Duchene/Johansen contracts, but they have to pay a large amount of real cash. At the same time, they now have one top six center in Domi (although that’s kind of questionable) and they don’t pick up any substantial future assets. How does this help Nashville again? :huh:
If we're just going to run our offense through our defense, what does it matter who the center it?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

maybe an offseason move it they have something else lined up?

Honestly i think Nashville should say no to this and take a run at Hall.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I would in no way ever take a run at Hall. Nashville should try to sign someone like RNH in the offseason and run with RNH-Domi. Nashville aint contending soon anyway so better to sell off Granlund, Duchene, Johanson etc. for short-term help, picks and prospects.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Hall was smart enough to not take that. And for us, the Preds were lucky that Buffalo swooped in when they did and snatched him away from Poile. Because Poile just couldn't resist, and before you knew it we were going to be pinned down with yet another terrible contract for a forward, when our forwards are not integrated into the team's offense. I doubt Hall would revisit his decision and come back to us now, even after things have not gone exactly well for him with Buffalo either. Poile on the other hand doesn't seem to give up so easily, so he might try again. But I'm optimistic that Hall won't bite. :crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad