Value of: Nashville-Calgary blockbuster

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
No thanks. Monahan is better at scoring goals, younger, cheaper. Brodie and Ellis I guess depends on what you like this season. Frolik will probably be gone anyways, but I'd rather keep him.

We get it, we lost in the playoffs.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No thanks. Monahan is better at scoring goals, younger, cheaper. Brodie and Ellis I guess depends on what you like this season. Frolik will probably be gone anyways, but I'd rather keep him.

It doesn't matter if Monahan is better at scoring goals, Johansen is significantly better in just about everything else, and he isn't a playoff choker.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
It doesn't matter if Monahan is better at scoring goals, Johansen is significantly better in just about everything else, and he isn't a playoff choker.
Because 12 in 20 is so much worse than 43 in 52?

Even just this year, they have identical playoff stats. How is one a choker while the other isn't?

The only difference is Monahan's team has seen far less playoff action. So unless you wanna say that Nashville's ability to make the playoffs more is because of Ryan Johansen, I don't think you have a point.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm not sure why Nashville does this.

Ellis' contract may be risky long term, Brodie is a 1 year experiment. Monahan I think will be a better fit for their system than Calgary's. Likewise Frolik is a 1 year experiment who at worst will be a good defensive winger.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Because 12 in 20 is so much worse than 43 in 52?

Even just this year, they have identical playoff stats. How is one a choker while the other isn't?

The only difference is Monahan's team has seen far less playoff action. So unless you wanna say that Nashville's ability to make the playoffs more is because of Ryan Johansen, I don't think you have a point.

Monahan's 5v5 scoring is non-existent in the playoffs.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
12 in 20 vs 43 in 52 is basically the difference between a 50 point player and a 70 point player. I’d say that’s a pretty significant difference.
Over a full 82 game regular season? Sure.
But when looking solely at playoff production, there is no 82 game benchmark to derive from. There are no 50-70 point playoff performers. Even humoring this train of thought though, Monahan had 82 in 78 and Johansen had 64 in 80, so if there actually was a difference it wouldn't be in Johansen favor anyways.

All I'm saying is it's close enough that you can hardly say one is a "playoff choker" and the other isn't. Especially considering one is on a team that has played more than double the amount of playoff games than the other.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Not gonna comment on the Monahan vs Johansen discussion, but Ellis is a significantly better dman than Brodie.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
No, especially since late 2017-2018 season to now. He might be a bit better, but barely.
Did you watch Brodie in the playoffs? He was freaking brutal.

I have not had a chance to dig in to his numbers, but from my eye test the past couple seasons Ellis is a clear and significant step above Brodie...and I am far from an Ellis fan.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I have not had a chance to dig in to his numbers, but from my eye test the past couple seasons Ellis is a clear and significant step above Brodie...and I am far from an Ellis fan.

Because a short sample size of Brodie being brutal is Ellis being far better? Also even in regards to eye test Ellis was brutal in the 2018 playoffs and so far has not looked good not even above average this playoffs.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

I dont think it's fair to judge flames individual players on this playoffs. Or really many players in general. In case you haven't noticed, every top team in the league has shit the bed.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I dont think it's fair to judge flames individual players on this playoffs. Or really many players in general. In case you haven't noticed, every top team in the league has **** the bed.
OK fine, throw out the series against the avs where Brodie was just awful...I still can't remember a time the past couple seasons when Brodie looked good unless he was playing on a pairing with Gio.

It's late and I'm not going to dig in to the numbers tonight (maybe tomorrow evening if I have a chance). Bottom line tho, it really seemed like Brodie had regressed a bit the past couple seasons and benefited greatly from getting to play w/ Giordano.

Because a short sample size of Brodie being brutal is Ellis being far better? Also even in regards to eye test Ellis was brutal in the 2018 playoffs and so far has not looked good not even above average this playoffs.
Ellis has for sure struggled at times against Dallas' larger forwards (particualrly Benn and Radulov), but did you watch much of the avs flames series? I'm not exaggerating my criticisms of Brodie, he was bad.

If you want to talk about a larger sample size then can you really say with a straight face that Ellis has not been a better dman than Brodie the past 3 seasons?

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
OK fine, throw out the series against the avs where Brodie was just awful...I still can't remember a time the past couple seasons when Brodie looked good unless he was playing on a pairing with Gio.

It's late and I'm not going to dig in to the numbers tonight (maybe tomorrow evening if I have a chance). Bottom line tho, it really seemed like Brodie had regressed a bit the past couple seasons and benefited greatly from getting to play w/ Giordano.

I also haven't seen Ellis play well without Ekholm or Josi either. While Brodie has benefitted playing with Giordano, all of Giordano's best seasons have come with Brodie. Whereas Ellis hasn't shown to benefit his partners that are top 4 Dman (Benefitting bottom pairing D doesn't count).

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I also haven't seen Ellis play well without Ekholm or Josi either. While Brodie has benefitted playing with Giordano, all of Giordano's best seasons have come with Brodie. Whereas Ellis hasn't shown to benefit his partners that are top 4 Dman (Benefitting bottom pairing D doesn't count).
What are you talking about? Gio has still been excellent away from Brodie. Gio - Hamilton was one of the best pairing in the entire league while they were together.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

Monahan is younger by how much?
But you don’t mention anything about Ellis being significantly younger than Brodie?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He has 12 points in 20 games. That's pretty equal to Johansen at 43 in 52. Cherry picking 5v5 specifically now seems pretty pointless.

It actually is a fairly big difference .

.60 PPG <<<< .82 PPG

Over 82 games it is 49 point vs 67 points . I don't know about you but I would take a 67 point player that is better defensively , bigger , stronger and better at FO over the 49 point player . We also are talking playoffs where points are harder to come by . I used the regular season to show it a bigger difference then you are saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad