Nash, Zetter, Frolov, Chistov, Hemsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
thats pretty tough... all have a good chance at big seasons. I think Nash will improve the least because he won't have a good offensive center to play with (sry, Marchant isn't). But Zetterberg will be with Hull, Frolov with Palffy(possibly, or Stumpl atleast), Chistov with Federov, and Hemsky with Smyth.
I think the Hemsky, Chistov, and Frolov are the three best players on the list with Zetterberg being the worst, although worst isn't the right word, more like less great...

lil_mogs

Hemsky, just unreal speed with sick hands. Love to watch this guy play!!!

hockeygunner

i think hemsky is gonna blow up this year for like 70 points playing n edmontons style of play, but he might only score 50, never know.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
This year:

Zetterberg
Chistov
Hemsky
Frolov
Nash

Long run:

Chistov
Nash
Frolov
Hemsky
Zetterberg

Most of these players are close though. I think a large part of this season will be where the respective players play. If Chistov plays with Fedorov, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him out-produce Zetterberg. If he plays third line, and Hemsky gets top line minutes, then he could end up third or fourth.

Given the numerous injuries in L.A. seemingly continuing this season, Frolov could see top line minutes potentially. If that's the case, then he could surprise and leap into first.

As you can see, it's a real tossup with a lot of factors being thrown into the mix. :)

Long-term, I'm impressed with Chistov's offensive skill package the most. I think Nash will become a very strong player, but not the point producer that Chistov can become. Frolov has immense potential offensively as does Hemsky... I just happen to like Frolov's package offensively a bit more. These four are interchangeable though, as far as I'm concerned.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
ok, good, I can come out and Say I think Hemsky is the superior player as well. I didn't want to as I thought I'd get flamed for being a homer! But just under a point per game from hemsky is a very realistic posibility.

Shin Pad

Jul 21, 2003
Alberta
Visit site
I think Chuck Kobasew is going to surprise a lot of people this season. He could end up scoring more points than all of the players mentioned in this thread.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Shin Pad said:
I think Chuck Kobasew is going to surprise a lot of people this season. He could end up scoring more points than all of the players mentioned in this thread.
No.

Nash will be the best player of the list IMO.
Zetterberg will always be a good two way player worth around 60-70 points a season.
Frolov should be around 70 points max.
Chistov ditto.
Hemsky on the other hand I fell is WAY overrated around here.
I see him as a guy scoring 50-60 points max.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Evilo said:

You mean you think he has 50-60 point career potential? Or you think thats what he's capable of this year? 50-60 points this year would probably make him one of the top couple in the group this year. And if you think his max potential is as a 60 point man you drasticly under-rate him.

A Good Flying Bird*

Evilo said:
No.

Nash will be the best player of the list IMO.
Zetterberg will always be a good two way player worth around 60-70 points a season.
Frolov should be around 70 points max.
Chistov ditto.

I don't know about the other guys, but Zetterberg is going to be far more valuable than his point production.
Many wings observers view him as a potential captain. He's got a certain air about him

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Newsguyone said:
I don't know about the other guys, but Zetterberg is going to be far more valuable than his point production.
Many wings observers view him as a potential captain. He's got a certain air about him

I've noticed that too, I think.

Of alll those guys I think Frolov will be the best defensively which is important.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
nash will aslo have a +/- of -26 or so again so his stellar offense will be negated by his lack of D.

I like his play but if he were on a team that played D he would score half as much. That being said, I think all of these players are great young talents and that they will all have their own specific strengths to bring to their team this year.

Zetts is going to be a solid all around player who does well under pressure. He is surrounded with allot of talent and that will help him learn how to strive for greatness.

Frolov is the best defensively of the players mentioned and great with the puck. He will be a great two way player but I don't think he will score more than 40 points this year. (maybe if the injury bug hits he will eclipse the 50 point mark but if the team stays as it is now I think he will score in the mid 40's) Still great numbers for a kid his age but not as many as Hemsky.

I think that with all of the troubles that the Oil have surrounding the Comrie situation that they will try and help Hemsky achieve everything they can this season. He will see allot of ice time and play allot in the top six. He has great O skills but lets see how he does playing a full season and how he does in his own end. The times I saw him play last year he looked alright back there. If he does as well as his talent allows him to then he will be fine. If not then I think he will still be good for hitting the 40 point range and thats pretty good.

Chistov has trouble playing in his current system. That isn't to say that he isn't good at it. He is. Still, he is one of those players who tends to focus on one style of play at a time. If he goes out and starts his shift playing defencively then he tends to stick in that pattern. If it is O then he does that. This year we will see if he can grow out of that. He is a great young talent and certainly capable of being the top scorer out of the bunch. I think he will be the third or fourth on the list.

I do think that this is a great and very talented bunch of young players and that they will all have all star careers. I can't wait for the season to start.

Shin Pad

Jul 21, 2003
Alberta
Visit site
I know it's only preseason, but Kobasew has 4 goals in 4 games. I think you are seriously under rating him if you don't think he will be right up there with the rest of your list of players.

BTW - Kobasew is purely a goal scorer. Guys like Nash may be better all around players, but when it comes to putting the puck in the net, I think Chuck will compare very favorably with guys like Nash.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Well teh great thing about both of your arguments is that we will be able to see if you are right or totally wrong. Season starts pretty quick.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Yeah, that's true. I remember hearing something about Lidstrom saying to somebody, talking about Zetterberg, "I'd like you to meet the next Steve Yzerman." A lot of Wings fans see him as the captain after Lidstrom and Shanahan are gone.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Anyone paying attention to Zetterberg in preseason? He's skating around like he's the captain, taking huge minutes. In fact, two games ago in that 9-0 blowout against Boston he was centering for Shanahan and Holmstrom and recorded 3 assists. Looks like he's going to be asked to fill in Federov's role, and if preseason is any indication, Sergei won't be missed in Detroit.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
ukyo said:
Anyone paying attention to Zetterberg in preseason? He's skating around like he's the captain, taking huge minutes. In fact, two games ago in that 9-0 blowout against Boston he was centering for Shanahan and Holmstrom and recorded 3 assists. .

Ribeiro's been doing the same thing in Montreal's preseasons the past 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->