Rumor: Nash Submits No Trade List

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You always ask for more than you believe you can get, yes, but not in a way that your ask is so beyond the pale that it's seen as refusing to bargain in good faith. That's what I've learned from my many years of bargaining labor contracts from both sides of the table, if we're sharing our experiences. :laugh:

That said, I don't think that initial ask for Nash is totally off the mark. It might actually be close to the final return.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Haha, just kidding ya. I'm sure they taught you some things that couldn't be learned from The Office as well.

Haha, I don't even remember if that was something they taught us. I think I vaguely remember it being a throw away comment. It wasn't the central point of the class. The class was pretty interesting because we negotiated in almost every class and it wasn't just a regular class session. I believe Harvard started that format for Negotiation class. Anyway, back to the unrealistic Rick Nash proposal.

Reactions: Thirty One

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Speaking of negotiating,
If you haven't read..The Art Of War.
Don't let the name fool you.
I highly recommend it ;)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Alleged sexual assault, making him a predator of the worst kind.
Kane? I thought we were talking about Nasher becoming a Predator.?.......he's married though with kids, don't ever see him becoming a "Predator", and he's too old to become a "Star" as in Dallas. Lol.

Reactions: will1066

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On a serious note......oh Lord, please Lord......just ONCE can we get a generational talent ala McDavid and Eichel. Yeah I know, we have been very fortunate getting Hank and stealing McD. For that bit of luck, we have been raped numerous times.

Question, wouldn't it best serve our Rangers to trade either to a team on the "bubble" in hopes they don't make the PO's and add that extra "percentage" should we also not make it? In hopes of landing Dahlin?

Another question ......even if we somehow DID get #1, is it a given to pick Dahlin? There are others maybe better suited for our team? Just asking.

Reactions: ponytrekker

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Although I sat here and called him an idiot for a few months, it worked out well for Joe Sakic with Matt Duchene.

I suppose it worked out for Sakic, because there were so many teams who wanted Ducehene to begin with. Would have been a pretty bad strategy if he had like 2 potential trading partners.

Prise scales with amount of bidders generally. And quality of the bidders.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
On a serious note......oh Lord, please Lord......just ONCE can we get a generational talent ala McDavid and Eichel. Yeah I know, we have been very fortunate getting Hank and stealing McD. For that bit of luck, we have been raped numerous times.

Question, wouldn't it best serve our Rangers to trade either to a team on the "bubble" in hopes they don't make the PO's and add that extra "percentage" should we also not make it? In hopes of landing Dahlin?

Another question ......even if we somehow DID get #1, is it a given to pick Dahlin? There are others maybe better suited for our team? Just asking.

ALWAYS take BPA.

You can always make moves after the fact. Drafting for organizational needs is how you pass on Tarasenko for McIlrath.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

If your team had ek65 doughty hedman Keith subban and burns as your 6 defenseman.....and d
U had the number 1 pick. You draft dahlin.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I suppose it worked out for Sakic, because there were so many teams who wanted Ducehene to begin with. Would have been a pretty bad strategy if he had like 2 potential trading partners.

Prise scales with amount of bidders generally. And quality of the bidders.
Were there really that many teams interested? I honestly don't remember.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Were there really that many teams interested? I honestly don't remember.
Hm come think of it I think I assumed rather than actually knew. But the whole saga took forever, so I suppose I just assumed there were. Another factor could ofc have been that keeping Duchene was preferable to letting him go for anything less than a haul. That or just got really lucky.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hm come think of it I think I assumed rather than actually knew. But the whole saga took forever, so I suppose I just assumed there were. Another factor could ofc have been that keeping Duchene was preferable to letting him go for anything less than a haul. That or just got really lucky.

Which is how we should look at McDonagh. You don't just trade a cornerstone for what you can get because you want to rebuild. You wait until you get what you want or damn near close.

Yeah, yeah I know on Talbot. Its one thing to overplay your hand on a backup goaltender. Teams will be lined up around the block to get a #1 defenseman who has another year at 4.7 million. If we retained 50%, any team could afford him. Any playoff team with a reasonable amount of assets to expend would be in the mix. McDonagh wouldn't just be your run of the mill playoff acquisition. He is the type of guy that be the difference between making it to the cup finals or not. He has tons of playoff experience.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To say he prevented goals in his "prime" is being disingenuous.

He always, always, always bled goals against.
I did not say he prevented goals. The only one that can do that is the goalie. What I did say was that when he was in his prime, he was widely regarded as a legit top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I look at Rick Nash as a guy who had good work habits but who somewhere, somehow lost the killer instinct that made him a special player and it's long gone and he's not getting it back. I'm not mad or angry with him but I do want him off the team.
Agreed. Most people are not mad at Nash for being emotional. He has been in NY for a while. Planted new roots. I get it. But his time has come and gone. He was a great player in Columbus. He was a good player who declined seemingly every year, for multiple reasons. Injuries, no killer instinct, not being able to play when the pressure is on....what have you. He has now degraded to being a 2nd/3rd line tweener. He has trade value. It should be explored to the utmost.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed. Most people are not mad at Nash for being emotional. He has been in NY for a while. Planted new roots. I get it. But his time has come and gone. He was a great player in Columbus. He was a good player who declined seemingly every year, for multiple reasons. Injuries, no killer instinct, not being able to play when the pressure is on....what have you. He has now degraded to being a 2nd/3rd line tweener. He has trade value. It should be explored to the utmost.

Pretty much the nut in the nutshell. I get that some posters really liked Nash and they're not happy he's going to be leaving but it's time to let go. My opinion--I expected more from him but he was a good--not a great player. He's getting older and his game is in a gradual decline. This happens--it eventually happens to everyone. It will happen to Lundqvist even--some day. Hanging on to people past their shelf date is not a thing to do when you're trying to re-identify as a team--that's where the Rangers are going to be after the trade deadline--looking for a new identity--part of which almost certainly means those unhappy or angry about Nash being moved will be thrilled when AV loses his job....and we might hear a lot of huzzahs and 'go f*** yourself, AV's' then--but that will be part of the re-identification process too. New coach. New approach--some familiar faces but a lot of newer, younger players. I've been watching this team since 1971-72 and FWIW we're coming off of one of our best rides ever though unfortunately it fell short. Maybe all this is new to others--it ain't new to me. It's the eternal cycle of sometimes you're up and sometimes you're not. I just hope the down period that's come is not going to be a long one. But you have to cut some ties when shit like this happens. They didn't do nearly enough of that in the late 90's and we wound up outside the playoffs for something like 8 years in a row.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I agree that Nash hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, or his cap hit. That being said he has been a very good two way player. Though I like him for what he IS, rather than what we wanted him to be, I have no problem at all with them trading him for whatever assets he will bring nor with them re-signing him over the summer to a contract that pays him realistically for the contributions he is still capable of.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I agree that Nash hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, or his cap hit. That being said he has been a very good two way player. Though I like him for what he IS, rather than what we wanted him to be, I have no problem at all with them trading him for whatever assets he will bring nor with them re-signing him over the summer to a contract that pays him realistically for the contributions he is still capable of.
Out problem with Nash these past few years is we expected an 8 million dollar player to score 40 goals. He produced like a third line 3 million dollar player

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Out problem with Nash these past few years is we expected an 8 million dollar player to score 40 goals. He produced like a third line 3 million dollar player
That is not really the only problem. He disappeared in the playoffs. And his contract took up a lot of space. I agree. Mostly, he was a solid regular season player. Even now, he is a solid tweener. But he did not live up to expectations of what he was brought here to do. He did not live up to the value given up for him. And when his team needed him the most, he was a no show.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm no Nash fan in any way imaginable, but watch how he will be a Cup winner or a great player on an actually good team when he is traded. Just like every other UFA. Great before joining NYR, a bust or mediocre while playing here, great when leaving (or retiring in disgrace because their career shattered in NYR). Hmm, I wonder where the problem is?

NYR has been a magnet for major **** to happen to players for decades now. Hmm, wonder why?

Reactions: Inferno

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm no Nash fan in any way imaginable, but watch how he will be a Cup winner or a great player on an actually good team when he is traded. Just like every other UFA. Great before joining NYR, a bust or mediocre while playing here, great when leaving (or retiring in disgrace because their career shattered in NYR). Hmm, I wonder where the problem is?

NYR has been a magnet for major **** to happen to players for decades now. Hmm, wonder why?

We don't draft them, so we have to buy them after their primes [which is a particularly earlier peak for offensive dynamos].

Reactions: Off Sides

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Pretty much the nut in the nutshell. I get that some posters really liked Nash and they're not happy he's going to be leaving but it's time to let go. My opinion--I expected more from him but he was a good--not a great player. He's getting older and his game is in a gradual decline. This happens--it eventually happens to everyone. It will happen to Lundqvist even--some day. Hanging on to people past their shelf date is not a thing to do when you're trying to re-identify as a team--that's where the Rangers are going to be after the trade deadline--looking for a new identity--part of which almost certainly means those unhappy or angry about Nash being moved will be thrilled when AV loses his job....and we might hear a lot of huzzahs and 'go **** yourself, AV's' then--but that will be part of the re-identification process too. New coach. New approach--some familiar faces but a lot of newer, younger players. I've been watching this team since 1971-72 and FWIW we're coming off of one of our best rides ever though unfortunately it fell short. Maybe all this is new to others--it ain't new to me. It's the eternal cycle of sometimes you're up and sometimes you're not. I just hope the down period that's come is not going to be a long one. But you have to cut some ties when **** like this happens. They didn't do nearly enough of that in the late 90's and we wound up outside the playoffs for something like 8 years in a row.

Been watching since the mid-70s and everything is spot on in this post. Some runs are good, this run was great. We fell short, it happens, more and more with so many teams. We should be happy we got to watch late into the playoffs for a lot of years. I for one hope we don't fall into the 90s superstars with no hearts team, or even the 80s no big stars but lots of heart (by the way, that gets you just barely into the playoffs, and then out fast, but I still love Barry Beck to this day).

Time to move on from this group, as much as we all love them for what they gave us. Some fans here forget that we cheer first for the front of the jersey, not the nameplate on the back.

Reactions: eco's bones

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Someone with over 4,000 posts should know better than to post something like this on a rival team's boards. Which means:

A) You're a ****ing idiot who can't comprehend or follow simple instructions.

OR

B) You're an attention starved wanker

The truth hurts.
Or C you are but the hurt because yes, the strangers haven’t won a cup in 23 years even though they have been contenders for about 10 years now. Meanwhile the Zislsnders haven’t even been relevant since Ronald Reagen’s presidency and since most people reading this were still sperm in their daddy’s testicles

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Or C you are but the hurt because yes, the strangers haven’t won a cup in 23 years even though they have been contenders for about 10 years now. Meanwhile the Zislsnders haven’t even been relevant since Ronald Reagen’s presidency and since most people reading this were still sperm in their daddy’s testicles

It has taken you 6 weeks but you finally posted something I agree with haha. I also think it's hilarious that the first person liking your post is named "Cheapshot" haha

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad