Nash or Ovechkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstu

May 6, 2004
I'm pretty sure (well I hope anyways) that he was talking about Nash there.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
BlueJackets61 said:
As for the hype concerning players... one clear cut player comes to mind.

Alexander Daigle

The fact is, AO has not played a single game of NHL hockey. He may do wonders in the Russian leagues, but can he fully adjust to the congestion that is North American hockey? From what I have read, I personally think he will be a great player but for those who think he will be the next Mario/Wayne... I think you might need to lay-off a bit. Since when in modern day NHL have we had players put up those numbers again?

How about Milan Hedjuk? Was this guy a first rounder? No, drafted 87th, and look what kind of numbers he puts up. Is Ovechkin the clear favorite of his class right now, yes? But who knows down the line if he will be. (Not implying Hedjuk is the best of his class, just stating excellent players are not those draft in the first round)

I'd take Nash, a proven player at this level. Plus the fact he put more pucks past goalies this year than any other player. Could Ovechkin do that? Yes, but I'll take the player that has shown he can do it.

This is an Ovechkin vs. Nash debate, leave out the Mario/Wayne comparisons.

The likelyhood of Ovechkin busting is very minute. In fact, one of the reasons he was hyped so much to begin with was his maturity(leadership, focus). He's the furthest thing from Alex Daigle.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
EroCaps said:
This is an Ovechkin vs. Nash debate, leave out the Mario/Wayne comparisons.

The likelyhood of Ovechkin busting is very minute. In fact, one of the reasons he was hyped so much to begin with was his maturity(leadership, focus). He's the furthest thing from Alex Daigle.

Sorry but to some on these boards Ovechkin could be the next Mario/Wayne of the NHL. That is just another aspect that comes him.

And I never stated he will be a Daigle, unless you can point it out to me, just stating that some players can't live up to their hype. Right now with all this AO talk, would people be happy if he is a consistent 60-70pt producer but never really becomes the elitest he is destined (on these boards) to be? Like I said in my last one, I feel he will be great player. I'm not stating he won't be.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
In fact if you say that Nash is a one dimension player, then Ao, right now, is a 0 dimension player since he never ever played a single game in the NHL... :teach:

Deleted member 3032

Sammy said:
:joker: :joker: :joker:
Thats a joke. Right now he is nowhere near the top 10 players in the world. Heck, right now he not one of the top 10 players in Russia (though he will be soon).

He was talking about Nash, not Ovechkin. However, I don't think Nash was a top 10 player last year, regardless.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
BlueJackets61 said:
Sorry but to some on these boards Ovechkin could be the next Mario/Wayne of the NHL. That is just another aspect that comes him.

And I never stated he will be a Daigle, unless you can point it out to me, just stating that some players can't live up to their hype. Right now with all this AO talk, would people be happy if he is a consistent 60-70pt producer but never really becomes the elitest he is destined (on these boards) to be? Like I said in my last one, I feel he will be great player. I'm not stating he won't be.

That's a good question. If Ovechkin turned out to be your heart and soul annual 70 pt guy, with a few 80-90pt+ seasons, a good many Caps fans would be disappointed. I personally don't think he'll break any major scoring records, but everything points to him having the heart of a Conn Smythe winner, and that's really what matters.

I'd compare Ovechkin's game to Messier, Howe, Neely, Forsberg, etc. He'll be his own entity.

capman29

Ovechkin will soon be a force in the league and you outside of washington are got to feel his greatness as he and tthe caps crush your teams .

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
capman29 said:
Ovechkin will soon be a force in the league and you outside of washington are got to feel his greatness as he and tthe caps crush your teams .

Have you seen this kid play yet? You talk so much, but honestly how do you know? Sure i may be a little biased, just look at my avatar, is Nash the best player in the league ? No, but at this point he is a safer bet then Ovechkin, Ovechkin's upside isn't all that much greater then Nashes, and Nash has offensively already lived up to that. Until I see Ovechkin play at the NHL level i think it'd be wise to hold off saying how much he's going to dominate. just a thought.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
capman29 said:

I just felt the greatness of your absurdity and you just crushed everyone on this board because we're all dumber for having read your bombastic crappola.

But keep at it. Sources of entertainment were running low lately.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i've already seen plenty of people say ovechkin isn't even as skilled offensively as kovulchuk is...hell personally i think the chances of ovechkin being better than kovulchuk are pretty slim...at least offensively, he might be a more rounded player on the defensive side. and nash tied kovulchuk for goals scored this year...40 goals in his second season, took kovulchuk 3 years to reach 40. i think nash will continue to produce and his assists to goals ratio will even out...he'll get better and i think it's likely he'll put up 50+ in his career

oh and spezza was hyped as the next gretzky, i remember that clearly.

captaincanadian

Aug 5, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
I'd take Nash over Ovechkin. Nash is already an elite player, and I dont believe hes even reached his full potential yet. Ovechkin......for all we currently know, he COULD turn into a Daigle. until we see him play at an nhl level, we cant gauge how good he is though

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Levitate said:
oh and spezza was hyped as the next gretzky, i remember that clearly.

spezza was and i still think he will be awesome
lecavalier and thornton were also the greatest things to come along in years. all very good players but apparently AO is gonna be so incredibly dominant that he leaves them in the dust. obviously the caps will not lose a single game once he takes the ice, he will break the 7 assists in one period record in his very first shift which will be the entire period because he will never leave this ice. If he does leave the ice is will be because he dropped the gloves with Laraque and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. the caps will save alot of money on a team because they wont need ANY goalie becasue the puck will never be in their own zone

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Nash.

Franchise player to build around. I think he will be a great postseason performer. Has great determination. Watching him in junior, Loves to get the puck when the game is on the line. He's a devoted team player, and does not shy away at all. Has the desire to improve every aspect of his game and get better everytime he's on the ice. Has the tools, the passion, and the mentality to become a (more so) great player in the future.

Last edited:

SwOOsh*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I just felt the greatness of your absurdity and you just crushed everyone on this board because we're all dumber for having read your bombastic crappola.

But keep at it. Sources of entertainment were running low lately.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->