Nash or Ovechkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

capman29

Hemsky83Schremp44 said:
Do you actually have a bank fettish? LOL...Every post i've seen you make you've mentioned a bank...

Yes when the bank is myack pocket . :lol

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
xander said:
i don't think anyone is getting what JasonMacIsaac is sayiny. He said that Nash is RIGHT NOW a pretty one demensional player. Syaing that many young offensive players have had this problem and have improved, while true, does not refute this claim.

RIGHT NOW, he's not a one demensional player... period!!!

Some guys are in the NHL only for the kind of grit and physical aspect he brigns to the game.

This guy also scored 41 goals... 41!!!!

And for the low assists numbers, as I said before, he is simply the only player on this team that can score. Thats why.

One more time, you cant call Nash a one demensional player!
You just cant!

BJ21

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BlackJack21 said:
RIGHT NOW, he's not a one demensional player... period!!!

Some guys are in the NHL only for the kind of grit and physical aspect he brigns to the game.

This guy also scored 41 goals... 41!!!!

And for the low assists numbers, as I said before, he is simply the only player on this team that can score. Thats why.

One more time, you cant call Nash a one demensional player!
You just cant!

BJ21
Well then there is nobody in the NHL who is 1 dimentional. Delmore is a PP dmen,a good puck mover, and a decent skater.....that is 3 qualities. Nash is 1 dimentional now, many other youngsters may be but we are not talking about them. Nash is horrible defensivly, not a good playmaker....he scores goals......he doesn't go out forechecking as many of you are saying. He is physical in front....every forward has to be physical in front. That isn't really a quality.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Well then there is nobody in the NHL who is 1 dimentional. Delmore is a PP dmen,a good puck mover, and a decent skater.....that is 3 qualities. Nash is 1 dimentional now, many other youngsters may be but we are not talking about them. Nash is horrible defensivly, not a good playmaker....he scores goals......he doesn't go out forechecking as many of you are saying. He is physical in front....every forward has to be physical in front. That isn't really a quality.

So every NHL fowards are physical in front... nice to know... I had never notice before. I really tough it was a quality.

Thaks for the hockey knoledge lesson. I feel more aware of what that sport is now.

Sincerly,

BJ21

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BlackJack21 said:
So every NHL fowards are physical in front... nice to know... I had never notice before. I really tough it was a quality.

Thaks for the hockey knoledge lesson. I feel more aware of what that sport is now.

Sincerly,

BJ21
Name me a forward in the NHL who stands in front but isn't physical?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Nash seems to be getting the majority of the votes here. I started reading this conviced that this was going to be a big AO love fest and yet another annoying, played-out "Nash can't pass or play d" thread.

Bottom line -- give AO a few years in the NHL and then lets revisit this. Right now, you're comparing apples and oranges.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Matt MacInnis said:
This is a good point to discuss.

What players are in their junior/foreign leagues does not always translate over to the NHL. Alexander Ovechkin may have played an all around complete game in Russia but that doesn't ensure that he'll be the same sort of player in the NHL. Jiri Dopita was a great scorer at home, but was not in the NHL. Darcy Tucker was an amazing goal scorer for Kamloops and now he's a pest. And so on.

We'll see what Ovechkin becomes in due time, but to call him a more rounded player than Rick nash right now is a little too forward and assuming for my nature.

The way AO is touted, anything less than outscoring Nash (overall pts) would be considered bust.

The better question, IMO, is who will be the better goal scorer.

RangsDave

Jun 17, 2004
New York
Both of these young stars are great and i'd love to have both of them on my team :banana:
But if i had to pick...no, i'd sign both

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Malmo_Mike said:
Nash In a heartbeat. Proven Player only going to get better.

I'm not sure how much he can improve. He was pretty good this past season. He will get more experience, but I don't know how much higher his ceiling could be.

capman29

Chimaera said:
I'm not sure how much he can improve. He was pretty good this past season. He will get more experience, but I don't know how much higher his ceiling could be.

Nash is a very good player, but if someone was to choose between the two, most scouts and GM would take Ovechkin in my opinion . A stated on other threads ,Ovechkin is considered to be the best prospect since mario and that speaks volumes .

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
capman29 said:
Nash is a very good player, but if someone was to choose between the two, most scouts and GM would take Ovechkin in my opinion . A stated on other threads ,Ovechkin is considered to be the best prospect since mario and that speaks volumes .

Wasn't Spezza that best prospect since Mario? Wasn't Lecaviler supposed to be the Michael Jordan of hockey? Just because a player is tabbed as being the next best thing, doesn't mean he's actually reach it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
capman29 said:
A stated on other threads ,Ovechkin is considered to be the best prospect since mario and that speaks volumes .

Well, not all everybody seems to agree with this.

He certainly doesn't look to me like the best since Mario.

capman29

Sir Ozzie X said:
Wasn't Spezza that best prospect since Mario? Wasn't Lecaviler supposed to be the Michael Jordan of hockey? Just because a player is tabbed as being the next best thing, doesn't mean he's actually reach it.

Sir Ozzie: To answer you questions NO NO AND YES SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT MAKE IT but I believe people who do this for a living than uninformed posters OK.

X0ssbar

Chimaera said:

You don't know how much higher his ceiling will be? - right now he is sitting on the 2nd floor of a 20 story building. The kid just turned 20, he won't reach his prime for another 10 years.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Matt MacInnis said:
Man, I just realized I called Ovechkin "Ovechking". Maybe it'll be some sort of new nickname. ;)

i actually stated that on some caps thread a while ago. im not sure whatever happened to it, but its their all right. ;)

i'd go with nash, but nash was tied for the maurice trophy with just 41 goals. on any other season 41 goals wouldnt have cut it.

but ask this question again when ovechking plays in the nhl. then things might change, might.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
capman29 said:
Sir Ozzie: To answer you questions NO NO AND YES SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT MAKE IT but I believe people who do this for a living than uninformed posters OK.

And you know that scouts are wrong 75% of the time, right? My guess is just as good as theirs.

Next year Crosby will be "the best prospect since Mario", so where does that leave Ovechkin?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Sir Ozzie X said:
And you know that scouts are wrong 75% of the time, right? My guess is just as good as theirs.

Next year Crosby will be "the best prospect since Mario", so where does that leave Ovechkin?

They were different circumstances and you know it. It was Tampa's Mickey Mouse owner who dubbed Lecavalier the Michael Jordan of hockey, and I didn't hear any of that for Spezza. I remember distinctly scouts worrying about his head on draft day. So much so that they weren't surprised when he was the #2 FW taken.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
As for the hype concerning players... one clear cut player comes to mind.

Alexander Daigle

The fact is, AO has not played a single game of NHL hockey. He may do wonders in the Russian leagues, but can he fully adjust to the congestion that is North American hockey? From what I have read, I personally think he will be a great player but for those who think he will be the next Mario/Wayne... I think you might need to lay-off a bit. Since when in modern day NHL have we had players put up those numbers again?

How about Milan Hedjuk? Was this guy a first rounder? No, drafted 87th, and look what kind of numbers he puts up. Is Ovechkin the clear favorite of his class right now, yes? But who knows down the line if he will be. (Not implying Hedjuk is the best of his class, just stating excellent players are not those draft in the first round)

I'd take Nash, a proven player at this level. Plus the fact he put more pucks past goalies this year than any other player. Could Ovechkin do that? Yes, but I'll take the player that has shown he can do it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Top Shelf said:
You don't know how much higher his ceiling will be? - right now he is sitting on the 2nd floor of a 20 story building. The kid just turned 20, he won't reach his prime for another 10 years.

That has nothing to do with how much better he could be...

This past season he was one of the top 5, maybe top 10 players in the game.

He can't get much better than that. Sure, he can 'refine' some parts of his game which are rather rough, but as far as potential to produce, I'm afraid he's pretty much reached as high as a player can go in this dead puck era. That's not meant as a slight, or any negativity towards Nash as a player. I just don't think he could get much better than he already is.

Sammy*

Chimaera said:
That has nothing to do with how much better he could be...

This past season he was one of the top 5, maybe top 10 players in the game.

:joker: :joker: :joker:
Thats a joke. Right now he is nowhere near the top 10 players in the world. Heck, right now he not one of the top 10 players in Russia (though he will be soon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad