Nash on 3rd line ?

soverc

Would sliding Jokinen up to Skinners spot and bring Nash up for a game or 2 be a good experiment ?

Dwyer seems lazy to me. 4g and 1a, freebies from what Skinner and Jordan are creating.

FYI Nash is
GP G A PTS +/-
50 11 24 35 11

When Rutuu is healthy that will be a good complication. The 2nd line should not be off limits yet, the 1st line DO NOT TOUCH.

PS: I do not even play as a NHL coach on tv so what do I know.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Nash is a legit center prospect, though I think the team views him more as the fourth line guy. I think welsh may have passed him as well, though welsh may be better at wing. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at it. He plays the position well, and finally is developing some offense though it may be better to leave him down there figuring out that aspect of the game. I like him at center for us. If injuries open up a hole I hope he gets a look.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's been heating up in Charlotte with some of the others up here in Raleigh, wouldn't hurt to give him a couple games as the #3 while Skinner gets whatever it is out of his system. Anything longer term and he's not an answer though.

soverc

Dwyer is anything but lazy.

Why do you say that ? Stat wise he looks lazy.

Most games I see him great for a few shifts but that is when he is in position (stopped clock is right twice a day)

I think we can do better with the pieces we have on the 2nd. Jokinen is being wasted on the 3rd line, he needs someone he can play with.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Dwyer's a "glue guy", they typically don't post sexy stats, since that's not what they're there to do. His speed, defensive ability, and forechecking open up a lot of room for his linemates to do their thing offensively. LaRose had the same purpose playing top 6 minutes for a while in his career. These guys don't typically have hugely long careers in the league but they're extremely valuable to teams for what they do well.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Yes, please. At least while Skinners injured.

We need a third line center, and the more I think about it, it might be smart to make a pitch for O'Reilly. Besides Tlusty, we have all of our young top 6 calibre forwards signed long term. We can afford to meet O'Reilly's demands because we don't have the same problem of using his contract as a basis for unsigned fowards like Duchene for example. The Avs want a pmd and a prospect, so how about Mcbain+Rask/Dalpe? Not interested in losing Murphy though.

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Yes, please. At least while Skinners injured.

We need a third line center, and the more I think about it, it might be smart to make a pitch for O'Reilly. Besides Tlusty, we have all of our young top 6 calibre forwards signed long term. We can afford to meet O'Reilly's demands because we don't have the same problem of using his contract as a basis for unsigned fowards like Duchene for example. The Avs want a pmd and a prospect, so how about Mcbain+Rask/Dalpe? Not interested in losing Murphy though.

Paying 5M+ for a 3rd line center?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Paying 5M+ for a 3rd line center?

See Ruutu as a decent example.

Edit: My problem with him isn't so much the asking price but his attitude. Dude seems like he has an ego, but maybe the Staals can keep that in check. Him and Rask share similar attributes but I know that Rasks skating has been criticized. Has anybody that watched O'Reilly say that he has the same issue?

Last edited:

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut

Most games I see him great for a few shifts but that is when he is in position (stopped clock is right twice a day)

I think we can do better with the pieces we have on the 2nd. Jokinen is being wasted on the 3rd line, he needs someone he can play with.

See what Dave G posted. Had you said "Dwyer is not a goal scorer or lacks finish" then you'd be correct. Muller likes to run "glue guys" on his top two lines so that they can do alot of the work down low forechecking while the scorer and playmaker on the line do their thing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
What's the worst that could happen with Nash on the 3rd line? The line doesn't score for 13 more games?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
^My possible scenario:

His line sucks at faceoffs, thus ruining possession time, causing the line to suck at keeping the opposing top line out of our d-zone.

The current third line might not lead the team in points, but they do a hell of a job cycling and keeping the puck away from the other team. Not sure if you could just take out Jokinen and replace him with Nash and expect the same results.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Stat wise he looks lazy.

For calling Patrick Dwyer lazy, you are hearby sentenced to focus exclusively on Dwyer during the next 3 games. Failure to do so will be considered a violation of your probation and you'll immediately be sent to remedial hockey school.

Pat Dwyer may be a lot of things not good, but there is exactly one thing he is not, and that is lazy. That could be the most unaware thing I've read on this forum that wasn't intentionally trolling.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Hey bud, here's an idea: try watching the games instead of just looking at stats.

The fact that you're trying to judge a checker/grinder based off his stat line is nothing short of ridiculous.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Pat Dwyer may be a lot of things not good, but there is exactly one thing he is not, and that is lazy. That could be the most unaware thing I've read on this forum that wasn't intentionally trolling.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Next we'll be calling out Jordan Staal for having a decent playmaking game but not having the size to cut it in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad