Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
No kidding. It seems like people who are saying the incident was "brutal" merely based on that blurry picture are really quick to make that judgement. I am no way condoning any actions that Rick Nash committed, as there may have been a "tug" on a referee. But the talk that the incident was "brutal" based on that picture is quite laughable. If it was so brutal, why didn't the referee discuss it in the report.

That said, I have noticed some absolutely brutal incidents from this year's tournament. I haven't seen these plays, I just saw the pictures and was appaled at the level of violence. Here are the pictures, and what I think the suspension should be:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XVIE107050912_lower.jpg
Absoultely terrible. Should be a few games at least for this Kazak, who has decided to perform a leg drop on a vulnerable Alex Kovalev. Kovalev was in no position to defend himself, and his head could have been decapitated. I suggest 3 games to discourage future incidents..

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV116050815_lower.jpg

What an absolutely deplorable act on Eric Cole. The Swedish player is smashing him into the boards, and will certainly crush his legs. This action should be punished swiftly.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV108050811_lower.jpg

Regehr. What a goon. Look at that attack, and the expression on his face. Get this punk out of the game.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AKCF101050716_lower.jpg

Absolute terror. Wake up IIHF. Wake the f**k up!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV113050717_lower.jpg

Absolutely malicious. How hockey can condone such violence is beyond me. Both of these players have to be suspended and thrown out of the game for this "brutal" act.

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard, but I'm just amazed that some people are making conclusions about that blurry picture.

My thoughts exactly.

The question I have is: If the 'infraction' in question was so terrible, why wasn't it called in the game? This is not a matter of the ref looking the other way as one player blatantly injures another player. The ref was the one "attacked".

If they do suspend Nash, eyebrows will and should be raised here. I suspect if Nash is punished, its for 1 game as the ref has to take control of this matter in the game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Tricolore#20 said:
I get that point. What are you talking about? You obviously don't get mine. I've known since the game ended (in the GDT thread it was mentioned) that Nash had hooked a referee. I am no way condoning it, and feel that he does deserve a suspension. I wouldn't shed a tear if he got the whole tournament. Touching an official is sacrilegious.

I am only criticizing people for jumping to conclusions simply by looking at the picture. Some people looked at that picture, and thought immediately that Nash was "intending" to strike the referee. That's the impression that it gives. It was taken out of context, and that picture itself is not able to tell you the act was brutal. I gave examples to show how anything can be interpreted differently if taken out of context.

Ah ok...guess I didnt get yours. ;)

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
If the IIHF doesn't take action this type of crap will happen all the time..player wants to get the refs attention will think.. "hmm Nash got away with it with nothing, I guess its alright for me to hook the ref to get his attention because he missed something" :shakehead
You are right, I already overthought my post a minute ago. Quick response though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Man, politics playing big time here. If that wasn't deliberate contact I don't know what is.

PredsFan77*

TSN does have video...look under the related info box in the nash story.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
YES,TSN just aired footage of the incident in the Latvia/Finland pre-game show...I saw it for the first time now...and :eek: :eek: very bad...very suprising Nash is NOT suspended.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
"We don't want to see that again, we don't like it when players attack referees," said Wallin. "That is the only thing. This has nothing to do with suspending Nash. The game was over."
"This is for hockey's future. This is for the kids, parents. They should know you do not attack the referee. I don't think he will be suspended. The only point from us is the referees should not be attacked by anybody."
:biglaugh:
Man, oh, man. If only Sweden had had this kind of leadership when Ulf Sterner tried to remove Wayne Cashman's tongue with his stick. Now I feel safer letting my kids watch hockey!
:sarcasm:

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
He should definitely be suspended for a couple of games. That's absolutely astounding. If this was NHL hockey, he'd be bent over a table and Todd Bertuzzi'd.

Jaysfanatic*

The Swedes are a bunch of *****es.....honestly, who files a complaint with the IIHF, if the IIHF wanted to do something about it, they would have, but they didn't, who the hell is Wallin to go ahead and send a cd-rom with the incident in question and say here's what happened. Then he says, oh we didn't want Nash suspended, we just want some action taken......what the **** is he talking about?? OBVIOUSLY he wanted a suspension, otherwise he wouldn't have sent the tape.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
From TSN:

"After reviewing the incident, the IIHF concluded the contact with the official was not deliberate"

So his stick just accidentally hooked the ref?

reaper

May 1, 2005
Devilsfanatic said:
The Swedes are a bunch of *****es.....honestly, who files a complaint with the IIHF, if the IIHF wanted to do something about it, they would have, but they didn't, who the hell is Wallin to go ahead and send a cd-rom with the incident in question and say here's what happened. Then he says, oh we didn't want Nash suspended, we just want some action taken......what the **** is he talking about?? OBVIOUSLY he wanted a suspension, otherwise he wouldn't have sent the tape.

Don't come with that crap here. Firstly, if you watched the game Swe vs Can you should know that we are not any wimps, we played just as physical as you and stood up for our team. Secondly, it's Nash that is the wimp going after a referee, that is totally crazy, you don't just go after the ref. Nash is young and needs to learn some sportsmanship before he becomes a great player. Your homerism is just pathetic, if a Swede would have gone after the judge like that don't you think he should be suspended? Come back to earth man.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
12# Peter Bondra said:
From TSN:

"After reviewing the incident, the IIHF concluded the contact with the official was not deliberate"

So his stick just accidentally hooked the ref?

Ya, that seems ridiculous. I can understand the contact with the linesman not being deliberate, as he turned around to complain to him and it turned out he was right behind him. I can also semi-understand that the ref didn't report anything after the game as maybe he thought he just got caught on a stick skating through traffic, although that boggles my mind a bit.

But that the IIHF saw the tape and thought it wasn't intentional is ridiculous.

edit: Just saw the non-choppy video on tv, and definitely should have been suspended. The push-off the linesman was actually worse than I originally thought, shouldn't touch the officials.

Last edited:

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Frankly, it looks to me like the ref grabbed Nash's stick and tried to wear it!!
All kidding aside, in any organized league, that would call for a suspension. Nash impeded the ref with his stick and probably should have to sit out one game. But would it really make a difference in tomorrow's game? Probably not (today's Ukraine/USA game aside).
The decision has been made. I would have suspended him for one game, but the call has been made. Let's get back to hockey.

Jaysfanatic*

reaper said:
Don't come with that crap here. Firstly, if you watched the game Swe vs Can you should know that we are not any wimps, we played just as physical as you and stood up for our team. Secondly, it's Nash that is the wimp going after a referee, that is totally crazy, you don't just go after the ref. Nash is young and needs to learn some sportsmanship before he becomes a great player. Your homerism is just pathetic, if a Swede would have gone after the judge like that don't you think he should be suspended? Come back to earth man.

:shakehead I don't mean the way they play buddy, I mean that they're *****ing and moaning about it, and then saying we didn't want a suspension, who are they trying to fool.....I think what he did was wrong, but if the IIHF and the ref haven't done anything about it, then it's not Wallin's place to say anything.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Devilsfanatic said:
:shakehead I don't mean the way they play buddy, I mean that they're *****ing and moaning about it, and then saying we didn't want a suspension, who are they trying to fool.....I think what he did was wrong, but if the IIHF and the ref haven't done anything about it, then it's not Wallin's place to say anything.

Ok, no hard feelings then :) Maybe they are afraid of meeting Nash in the final :dunno: IIHF has decided so let's get over this. Was bad move but Nash but hopefully he learned his lesson, if not he will in the NHL ;)

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Devilsfanatic said:

???

IMO he showed class. He did'nt really overeact like many poeple would have done in his position.

I'm pretty sure that if Crosby would have done that in Halifax and not being suspended we would heard about it for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->