Naming rights to Gwinnett Arena (ECHL) sold for $18 million

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
More fodder for the "suburban arena in Atlanta" topic. I hinted at this news back in the old Hawks/Philips Arena sale thread here. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=102742087#post102742087 My timing was off about when they'd announce this deal, but it's now officially done.

This naming rights deal represents a significant infusion of cash, and seems to be the driving force for the arena expansion plans reported back in the late spring. To my thinking, this seems like a critical step towards possibly eventually landing an AHL franchise here.

EDIT: Oh, and since it wasn't mentioned on these boards when it was announced a few weeks ago, the Gladiators entered a new affiliation agreement with the Boston Bruins, dropping the Arizona Coyotes. Changes are afoot.

http://www.gwinnettcenter.com/news/...d-infinite-energy-center/?soc=namingrights_FB

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Affiliation agreements are tracked on the ECHL/minor league forum.

Lots of changes this year.

(ECHL has all but mandated single NHL affiliation/team, even though there aren't 30.)

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Seems stupid. The demand in Atlanta wasn't even high for top level hockey. I doubt it is for 2 levels lower. Hell it barely is for NBA, NFL or even the beloved Braves.

Wrong on so many levels. I suspect you're just trolling, but if not, the reasons the Thrashers were deliberately sabotaged, then evicted, by their own corrupt owners, are well documented here. Go run a search.

Every Falcons game for more than a decade has been officially sold out. The Braves have been in the upper half of MLB attendance for a quarter of a century now, and more often than not have been in the top 10. The Gladiators consistently have been near the top of the ECHL in attendance as well for many years.

Last edited:

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Wrong on so many levels. I suspect you're just trolling, but if not, the reasons the Thrashers were deliberately sabotaged, then evicted, by their own corrupt owners, are well documented here. Go run a search.

I take it you're new to this section. Unresearched hot takes is his MO. Don't take it personally.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You're forgetting that turner field is one of the biggest stadiums in the mlb so that certainly is a factor to consider. Also that the vast majority of the south doesn't have a ream(excluding Florida)

The NFL almost every team does well at the gate anymore.

The hawks had a solid team this year...needed a tinder night to get fannies in the seats. For the record for those who don't know what tinder is, it involves dating.

Corrupt or not I don't think it would have changed much. The demand for hockey in the south isn't that high in many cases. Its a regional sport for the most part. In Georgia it might snow once every 10 years. You certainly don't have ice on the ground much. Its hard to have a big interest in something you can't relate to.

As for the ECHL attendance like the braves you have to factor in that they have one of if not the biggest venues in the league. So there's a lot of room to play there but with that comes a capacity percentage hit as well.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I expect this is the beginning of making the case for an entry into the AHL. They've been pretty sound on the business side, so I hope that the financials support all that they do and it doesn't involve undue risk. At the end of the day, it would be better to keep the ship afloat and stay in the ECHL than have to fold on an AHL gamble.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
You're forgetting that turner field is one of the biggest stadiums in the mlb so that certainly is a factor to consider. Also that the vast majority of the south doesn't have a ream(excluding Florida)

The hawks had a solid team this year...needed a tinder night to get fannies in the seats. For the record for those who don't know what tinder is, it involves dating.

Corrupt or not I don't think it would have changed much. The demand for hockey in the south isn't that high in many cases. Its a regional sport for the most part. In Georgia it might snow once every 10 years. You certainly don't have ice on the ground much. Its hard to have a big interest in something you can't relate to.

As for the ECHL attendance like the braves you have to factor in that they have one of if not the biggest venues in the league. So there's a lot of room to play there but with that comes a capacity percentage hit as well.

LOL want to make any more outrageously fase claims?

Atlanta is majority made of up yankee transplants.. there is as much of a demand for hockey in Atlanta as there is in Dallas, Nashville, Raleigh, Columbus, Washington DC etc.

The Thrashers outdrew the Hawks consistently.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

No demand for hockey in the south lol? Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, St. Louis, Dallas, all Southern cities and all strongly attended NHL franchises at that. Also please take note that both Nashville and Raleigh were former strong ECHL cities who made the direct jump to the NHL. Let's also not leave out the strong southern cities of Orlando, Charlotte, Austin, San Antonio, and Allen Texas all drawing quite well respectively in their respective various minor leagues in hockey. Are ya an antagonist, agitator, or ignoramus lol?

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Mind you, St. Louis is NOT what I'd call the South. Plus, they've had the NHL for nearly 50 years so they have built up a lot of credibility and goodwill. I would imagine that Tampa Bay gets some of their fanbase from all the snowbirds that migrate from Canada to Florida every years, as well as Canadian ex-pats.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
You people are wasting your breath on Sports Enthusiast. There are just some people who, for whatever reason, will never accept the fact that hockey of any stripe can work anywhere South of the Mason/Dixon. Learn to ignore them. Arguing or pointing out facts is just an exercise in futility.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Mind you, St. Louis is NOT what I'd call the South. Plus, they've had the NHL for nearly 50 years so they have built up a lot of credibility and goodwill. I would imagine that Tampa Bay gets some of their fanbase from all the snowbirds that migrate from Canada to Florida every years, as well as Canadian ex-pats.

Ahhhh lol, being from Buffalo NY I presume anything south of PA from you is the south lol. In all fainrness Missouri is a southern state state, Virginia, W. Virginia, and really people in places like southern Ohio and Indiana identify with southern culture and are often more conservative then the liberal north. Yes they have had the NHL for almost half a century which validates my point that southern and western migration of the game has been well going on for years. What does Canada have to do with how hockey teams are attended in the states? Very little if you ask me because its just not Canadians on winter vacation who are filling arenas outside of Tampa. Caliafornia at both the NHL and former ECHL levels, the NHL and AHL down in Texas, the Carolina NHL/AHL teams. Northern fans are loyal, Buffalo likewise. Buffalo is a great hockey city no doubt but the game has to go where people have relocated, money has relocated, jobs relocated, and investment. Demographics have changed in the United States and hockey is going where the people, money, jobs, and investment are. Chicago reigns on because its just a huge city but places like Detroit and Buffalo and the smaller minor league hockey cities are taking an economical beating and people are relocating for better job opportunities and more mild weather. I think the California AHL teams will do very well. All have been giving their local built in identity already in place with the exception of Stockton. I think they should have kept the Thunder name, and then allowed the Adirondack community to pick their name, otherwise the Pacific Division will see strong support.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
You people are wasting your breath on Sports Enthusiast. There are just some people who, for whatever reason, will never accept the fact that hockey of any stripe can work anywhere South of the Mason/Dixon. Learn to ignore them. Arguing or pointing out facts is just an exercise in futility.

Well said, Southern hockey has already arrived. We drove early success of the ECHL, the SPHL is well run minor league, hockey south of the line and west of The Old Miss is nothing new lol. Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Norfolk, Richmond, over places like Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford, Worcester, or Bridgeport for sure. I think of those places I think of snow from Dec to March, high taxes, no freedoms, and not alot of jobs. Dont get me wrong, have family up north of Albany and got to travel to Saratoga this summer but everyone is employed by a state or local government. Everyone makes a living from either working a public sector job or public assistance. The governor of NY is trying to force businesses who employ part time low wage jobs to pay a min. wage of $15 which will kill business in that state. There are no big companies or investments, which is what drives support for pro sports. Not challenging the love of hockey but more so validating the argument the demographics shift has dictated the relocation of the game south and west from the traditional northeast markets.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Well said, Southern hockey has already arrived. We drove early success of the ECHL, the SPHL is well run minor league, hockey south of the line and west of The Old Miss is nothing new lol. Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Norfolk, Richmond, over places like Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford, Worcester, or Bridgeport for sure. I think of those places I think of snow from Dec to March, high taxes, no freedoms, and not alot of jobs. Dont get me wrong, have family up north of Albany and got to travel to Saratoga this summer but everyone is employed by a state or local government. Everyone makes a living from either working a public sector job or public assistance. The governor of NY is trying to force businesses who employ part time low wage jobs to pay a min. wage of $15 which will kill business in that state. There are no big companies or investments, which is what drives support for pro sports. Not challenging the love of hockey but more so validating the argument the demographics shift has dictated the relocation of the game south and west from the traditional northeast markets.

Translation:

Phase One - Hockey

Phase Two - ???

Phase Three - Teabagger Politics.

:shakehead

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
No demand for hockey in the south lol? Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, St. Louis, Dallas, all Southern cities and all strongly attended NHL franchises at that. Also please take note that both Nashville and Raleigh were former strong ECHL cities who made the direct jump to the NHL. Let's also not leave out the strong southern cities of Orlando, Charlotte, Austin, San Antonio, and Allen Texas all drawing quite well respectively in their respective various minor leagues in hockey. Are ya an antagonist, agitator, or ignoramus lol?

Holy geography. St. Louis is not even close to the South. Dallas maybe in the Southwest but when I think of the South I don't necessarily think of Texas because of where it is. Its in between the South and the West and its too far to the bottom to be the MidWest but on a map its in the middle at the bottom. North Carolina I suppose is the South but its also chop full of people like new yorkers. Nashville took time....winning sells tickets. Same for Tampa. You also have Florida who has always struggled and the only reason they exist is the owner got a deal for an arena.

You act like those jumps happened right away. It didnt and when those teams left its not like they were a guarantee to go up that high. They didn't necessarily jump for any reason more than the size of the market. Its not like it was a soccer deal where they were promoted on play.

Orlando has lost a team before. Charlotte is like Raleigh. Transplant. Also to help itself it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

The track record isn't great especially at this level. Look at all the defunct teams from that region.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Upstate NY has been and will continue to be broke. The current governor isn't our problem but he's just adding to it. Let's not forget that the state taxes are about the highest in the country. So if you and I had the same jobs you'll make more to do the same thing even if we had the exact same salary from our respective company.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Holy geography. St. Louis is not even close to the South. Dallas maybe in the Southwest but when I think of the South I don't necessarily think of Texas because of where it is. Its in between the South and the West and its too far to the bottom to be the MidWest but on a map its in the middle at the bottom. North Carolina I suppose is the South but its also chop full of people like new yorkers. Nashville took time....winning sells tickets. Same for Tampa. You also have Florida who has always struggled and the only reason they exist is the owner got a deal for an arena.

You act like those jumps happened right away. It didnt and when those teams left its not like they were a guarantee to go up that high. They didn't necessarily jump for any reason more than the size of the market. Its not like it was a soccer deal where they were promoted on play.

Orlando has lost a team before. Charlotte is like Raleigh. Transplant. Also to help itself it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

image_att_graph.php

It didn't take Tampa time to draw. Do a little research before your hot takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad