Confirmed with Link: Namestnikov to COL for 2021 4th rd pick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Honestly, I don't really care.

We dropped a few spots in the 4th round. We had a decent player in the line-up for awhile.

The hand-wringing is unnecessary.
We actively sell picks to save money, yet we are fine bringing in a 4 million dollar player with no intentions of keeping him, and gave up more than we received in return.

That's what lacks foresight and direction, what we received is what it is, not a big deal as I led with

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
We have Boedker sitting in the pressbox making 4.5 million who has been healthy all year and has played 11 games, we had Verraneau/Davidsson in the pressbox in the AHL. We had/have tons of bodies to fill our forward lineup, we didn't need to spend 2 million on Namestikov when we have a guy in Boedker riding the pine who we could have just inserted. .

The team needed to get a quality forward because the kids didn't step up. It wasn't a getting a body, it was getting a decent player to plug into the lineup.

Boedker was not an option if you wanted a decent player. He was a sunk cost and the coaches didn't seem to like him.

What happens on the ice actually does matter, it's not all asset management and depth charts.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
We actively sell picks to save money, yet we are fine bringing in a 4 million dollar player with no intentions of keeping him, and gave up more than we received in return.

That's what lacks foresight and direction, what we received is what it is, not a big deal as I led with

There was a chance that his trade value could have increased after coming over from the Rangers. It didn't. But since the Senators have 11 picks combined in the first 2 rounds for the 2020 and 2021 drafts, I'm not worried about dropping down in the fourth round next year.

Reactions: Xspyrit and derriko

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Can't believe we couldn't get a 3rd for him. Harsh return.

Really?! I'm surprised because I usually have a lot of respect for your opinion on these kinds of things. I've been saying I'd happily take a 4th or 5th. He's really not a very good NHL player. Barely above replacement level as far as I can tell.

I was very confused by people expecting we could get anything more than a fourth. That would be like buying a used car, driving it for a year, and then expecting to get more for it than you paid...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sens fans see Namestnikov traded for a 4th - "Dorion, you idiot!"

30 mins later, JGP traded for 1st, 2nd, and an unlikely 3rd - "Dorion you beautiful son of a b**ch, come here and let me hug you!"

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
PD got what the market was willing to pay without having to retain salary. Whether we should have traded for the guy in the first place is irrelevant at this point. I’m not gonna loose sleep over this one.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gained nothing lmao.

What do you mean? Namestnikov played 54 games for the Senators this season (13 G 12 A). Acquired for a 4th 2021, traded for a 4th 2021. Even if the pick given up is ahead of the Colorado pick, it is so marginal that it doesn't change anything.

"Renting a player" always has a cost. Namestnikov has the same identical value as earlier this season except that he was closer to UFA status, so not bad at all when you think of it

Also, it means than no team was ready to pay more than that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bit of a waste bringing him in with players sitting in pb ... Lost on the pick placement , on $ spent and on Nick Ebert .. who as it turns out could have come in handy a couple times.
Good to recover something I guess

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Taking a 4th must mean there was little interest from anyone else so I guess if Pierre's intent was to move him then it's a win

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Thompson got a 5th, so seems like we extracted what we could from Namestikov.
Was also probably a low risk gamble to see if he could boom in Ottawa and get us more value. Not like we traded a 2nd or anything.
Like the guy, would be okay if he signed with us for another year this summer to be a warm body.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah makes no sense, could have just played Boedker, kept our own 4th and Ebert, and saved ~2 million dollars

He seemed skilled, we took a shot at a hidden gem turns out we got what we paid for and got a fourth back.
It was worth a shot and moving around in the fourth round is the least of the sens worries and a nothing payment

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What a waste. What the hell was the point of the whole namestnikov acquistion then?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
What a waste. What the hell was the point of the whole namestnikov acquistion then?

I just answered that right above your post. There was zero waste he played 3/4 of the year and we got a draft pick back.
It was a better deal then they got

Reactions: Sweatred

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

You're wrong to say it lacks foresight and direction, although you may disagree with that direction. It's no surprise that Namestnikov was acquired after Batherson bombed his first two games. Dorion made the call that we needed another top nine body so we could send Batherson down, knowing full well that he could then trade Namestnikov at the deadline for a similar return. They ended up dropping a few picks in the fourth round, and with that value they bought Batherson more time.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

I think this was initially a low risk, low reward move. Dorion trades for Namestnikov knowing he will most likely get back what he paid but the upside is that playing up in the Sens line up with more ice time/opportunity gives us a chance to "make a profit". It didn't happen but this doesn't speak to "lack of direction/foresight for me".

See my theory above. I think Dorion was hoping to buy low and sell a bit higher. That didn't happen but that's the way it goes.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
no offence but that's a terrible answer :)

I guess we should have played the 6 million dollar way over paid UFA that we had to sign to a five year contract in order to hold a roster spot for a year or two until the prospects were ready........

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
My god people. A rebuilding team should make trades like this every year and I hope Dorion continues the trend the next 2-3.

Vladdy has shown the ability to produce, and he is only 27. Why not throw an essentially worthless pick (cant remember the stats but a 4th is in the mid-low single digit territory of playing in the NHL) and see if he can get back to that level? The team has so many quality picks I wouldn't have even cared if it was for future considerations.

There was a chance, albeit a small one, that he played over his head and increased his value. Then you could re-sign the guy for a year or two and get a better pick.

The main benefit though was competition for the prospects. What Detroit has historically done development wise is a bit overkill, but I like the idea. Make a young guy earn his spot on the team, and keep them on their heels in order to stay up.

How many prospects get damaged by being rushed into the NHL? How many prospects get damaged by overcooking in the AHL? I can tell you the first scenario is significantly more frequent than the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad