- Ossi Vaananen
- Anton Volchenkov
- Barrett Jackman
- Mattias Ohlund
- Pavel Kubina
- Braydon Coburn

#37-#93-#27*

Wendel Clark Jr. said:
Are you serious? Did you watch the playoffs last year? Nieds is as close as you come to being a complete dman with the exception of Lidstrom IMO.
Of course I did but I've also watched him about 60 games in the season which is something you haven't done.

#37-#93-#27*

icarus said:
No one mentioned Dion Phaneuf in the prospect department? :dunno:

He could have made the Flames out of camp ahead of Commodore, Montador, and Wallin but Sutter wisely elected to send him back to Red Deer where he has 7 goals, 7 assists, and +5 in 15 games so far (leading the team in goals, points, and +/-). :teach:

For comparison's sake, Coburn has 2 goals, 3 assists, and is a team worst -6 in 6 games. Ryan Suter has no points in three games.
Oh please, the guy will be in his 4th season, around the age Redden is now. He is not a top 10 dman by then and is not on a level that Pitkanen or Jbo are.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
#37-#93-#27 said:
Oh please, the guy will be in his 4th season, around the age Redden is now. He is not a top 10 dman by then and is not on a level that Pitkanen or Jbo are.

Oh please, people keep mentioning Coburn and Suter so if they have a chance in five years from now, so does Phaneuf. Chances are slim for all three 2003 draftees. They would be the same age Brewer and Regehr are now. As for Phaneuf, if he does indeed turn out to be like Scott Stevens and plays like Stevens did when HE was 23, he has a great chance to crack that list.

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
HabFan1084 said:
No one feels that Komisarek will be a top 10 d-man in 5 years?

Komisarek will be good, hopefully a #2 or 3 dman on the Habs, but unless he goes beyond his potential, theres no way hes a top 10 dman IMO. Andrei Markov would be our #1 D, and he just makes most lists.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Niklas Lidstrom will continue to be the leagues #1 d-man until he retires or reaches the age of 40, whichever happens first. Personally I think he will still be playing in 5 years, and picking up his 7th or 8th Norris trophy.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
Without looking at anybody else's list..

Oops, duh, I obviously misread the subject of this thread.. :P

In no particular order :

Lidstrom
Foote
Hatcher
Stevens
Zubov
Niedermayer
Pronger
MacInnis
Numminen
Redden

Notable Ommisions :

Blake, Leetch, and Gonchar

Although all three of these guys put up number, I find their actual defensive play to be suspect. Maybe if Leetch played for someone other than the Rangers he'd prove me wrong and maybe Blake would've made my list if I wasn't a Wings fan.

Now I'll go read everybody else's lists, I'm sure I forgot somebody obvious.

Now here's the list that I should have made also in no particular order :

Jackman
A.Markov
Jovanovsky
Spacek
Rafalski
Chara
Boyle
Redden
T.Kaberle
Brewer

I think that these guys will be good, but I'm not sure they'll be among the 10 best over the next 5 years.

Boumeester
Pitkanen
Fischer

My list assumes no lockout. This list was hard for me to make, a lot of guys could have more gas in their tank than I think.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
name said:

In no particular order :

Lidstrom
Foote
Hatcher
Stevens
Zubov
Niedermayer
Pronger
MacInnis
Numminen
Redden

Notable Ommisions :

Although all three of these guys put up number, I find their actual defensive play to be suspect. Maybe if Leetch played for someone other than the Rangers he'd prove me wrong and maybe Blake would've made my list if I wasn't a Wings fan.

If Macinnis, Stevens and Leetch are still playing 5 years from now, i'll buy you a ham sandwich. ;)

#37-#93-#27*

name said:

In no particular order :

Lidstrom
Foote
Hatcher
Stevens
Zubov
Niedermayer
Pronger
MacInnis
Numminen
Redden

Notable Ommisions :

I'm happy you mentioned Leetch, he never gets any credit while at the same time being arguably the best offensive defenseman now, but I think he'll be retired by then.

A Good Flying Bird*

easton122 said:
Which 10 defensemen will rule this league in 5 years?

1. Scott Neidermayer
2. Ed Jovanovski
3. Mattias Ohlund
4. Paul Mara
5. Rotislav Klesla
6. Joni Pitkanen
7. Jay Bouwmeester
8. Derek Morris
9. Eric Brewer
10. Martin Skoula

anybody think any other prospects may be able to crack the top 10? ex: Grebeshkov, Woywitka, Suter, Coburn...

Seems like Jiri Fischer should be on that list. I wonder if Barret Jackman will be there.

A Good Flying Bird*

Newsguyone said:
Seems like Jiri Fischer should be on that list. I wonder if Barret Jackman will be there.

Wow.
Just went throught the thread and this was the first time Fischer was named.
Wow.
Guys like Pitkanen have done NOTHING, and everyone knows it takes a while for defensemen to develop.
Fischer is big, strong, has a mean streak, he's a good skater, and he's got a great shot.
Plus, he's learning the game from Lidstrom, Chelios, Schneider, Hatcher and company. Plus, he's won a cup and played with guys like Hull, Yzerman and Shanahan.

Look out. Because Fischer could be as good or better than at least half of the people I've seen listed so far.

Deleted member 3032

1. Niklas Lidstrom
2. Chris Pronger
3. Ed Jovanovski
4. Wade Redden
5. Sergei Gonchar
6. Andrei Markov
7. Zdeno Chara
8. Derek Morris
9. Rostislav Klesla
10. Barrett Jackman

Reactions: Hammettf2b

nucks2001

nice to see Ohlund get some props.. He is the Canucks best OV d-man

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pronger
Bouwmeester
Brewer
Jackman
Jovanovski
Gonchar
Redden
Chara
Morris
Klesla

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Guys like Pitkanen have done NOTHING, and everyone knows it takes a while for defensemen to develop.

Nothing? I have seen him do plenty, he is even better than advertised. I was shocked how good he has been now with Philly, because he has taken a giant leap since last year. But of course it takes a long time for a defenceman to develop...Pitkänen's pace at developing has been more than impressive. We'll see.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Has Stuart's injuries affected people's choices that much...a year ago he was considered a future Norris winner. It seems though since his concussion and now shoulder injury (not to mention an ankle injury that he was playin on in the 01-02 season), he has fallen outta people's minds or do you see him as too injury-proned now?

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
Patty Ice XXX said:
Has Stuart's injuries affected people's choices that much...a year ago he was considered a future Norris winner. It seems though since his concussion and now shoulder injury (not to mention an ankle injury that he was playin on in the 01-02 season), he has fallen outta people's minds or do you see him as too injury-proned now?

Stuart does have a high ceiling IMO but I think he has to put a lot of things together to reach it. He also has to prove he can playing in a few 60+ games seasons IMO.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Imo:

1. Chris Pronger
2. Wade Redden
3. Jay Bouwmeester
4. Nicklas Lidstrom
5. Derek Morris
6. Eric Brewer
7. Zdeno Chara
8. Ed Jovanovski
9. Scott Niedermayer
10. Andrei Markov

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
1. Chris Pronger - Still young and can dominate.
2. Andrei Markov - Improving so much it's sick.
3. Wade Redden - Very hard to find a smarter defenseman than him other than Lidstrom.
4. Rostislav Klesla - Will be the #1 guy in 10 years, IMO.
5. Ed Jovanovski - Still improving defensively and the offense is always there.
6. Jay Bouwmeester - Will add muscle and continue his rise to the Top 3.
7. Sergei Gonchar - Still a young guy as well.
8. Tomas Kaberle - Late round steal for the Leafs gets better and better.
9. Derek Morris - Still gets beat defensively but has all the tools.
10. Barret Jackman - Mean, nasty, and underrated offensively.

Darkhorse: Karel Rachunek - Some may say it's a homer pick but his potential goes unnoticed. Similar to Kaberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad