Newfoundland
Here's the team I would go with.
Simon Gagne-Joe Sakic-Jarome Iginla
Ryan Smyth-Jason Spezza-Dany Heatley
Rick Nash-Joe Thornton-Shane Doan
Brad Richards-Vincent Lecavalier-Martin St. Louis
13th Forward: Kris Draper
^^^
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla would be the top line while the other three are in no order.

Chris Pronger-Scott Niedermayer
Rob Blake-Wade Redden
Ed Jovanovski-Robyn Regehr
7th Defenseman: Adam Foote
^^^
No change from the team I predicted earlier.

#1 Goalie- Martin Brodeur
#2 Goalie- Roberto Luongo
#3 Goalie- Curtis Joseph

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
I don't understand how some players being listed here keep getting rementioned over and over. One-dimensional players that had one good season, or are on some once in a lifetime hot streak don't deserve to be even mentioned in this thread. Or at least not more than in one instance. This is the freaking OLYMPICS, not some NHL fling with Columbus or St. Louis.

I have great reservations about moving players from their natural position(s) while there are over abundances of experienced and skilled players very capable of filling the voids. Certain players should not be forced into roster slots just for the sake of having their name on the ice. That's ridiculous, and unfortunately something that Team Canada organizers and fans seem to be gearing towards. Why? I have no freaking clue.

Kariya - Sakic - Iginla
Gagne - Thornton - Heatley/Shanahan
Heatley/Shanahan - Richards - St. Louis
Smyth - Marleau - Doan
Extra: Bertuzzi/Nash

Rob Blake
Scott Niedermayer
Adam Foote
Wade Redden
Ed Jovanovski
Robyn Regehr
Extra: Chris Pronger

Brodeur
Turco
Jospeh

wildone26*

Now that it seems certain Rich Nash will have played ZERO hockey at the time they make the selection, it is impossable for him to be picked for the team I would imagine. Wouldnt that be right? :dunno:

joe_shannon_1983*

wildone26 said:
Now that it seems certain Rich Nash will have played ZERO hockey at the time they make the selection, it is impossable for him to be picked for the team I would imagine. Wouldnt that be right? :dunno:

Impossible? No. I think he still has a decent chance at being named. Which is too bad considering the fact that he shouldn't be named due to all of the players he would be keeping off.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
wildone26 said:

nope, I bet he is selected for the team. If I remember correctly Ryan Smyth was named last time and he had a broken ankle at the time.

wildone26*

ferns8916 said:
Impossible? No. I think he still has a decent chance at being named. Which is too bad considering the fact that he shouldn't be named due to all of the players he would be keeping off.

If he had played some hockey before now, and been playing well I would have no problem with him being picked, he was awesome at the World Championships last year, and the summer evaluation camp. However now is too late IMHO. Atleast that is how it SHOULD be. Given that Crosby supposably deserves to be on the team over Staal and Spezza, and that Rick Nash supposably deserves to be on the team playing almost no hockey this fall, the criteria they are using to pick the team escapes me at this point. :dunno:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
wildone26 said:
If he had played some hockey before now, and been playing well I would have no problem with him being picked, he was awesome at the World Championships last year, and the summer evaluation camp. However now is too late IMHO. Atleast that is how it SHOULD be. Given that Crosby supposably deserves to be on the team over Staal and Spezza, and that Rick Nash supposably deserves to be on the team playing almost no hockey this fall, the criteria they are using to pick the team escapes me at this point. :dunno:

The more I hear guys like MacKenzie and other reporters talk, the more I think that Nash will be on this team.

He doesn't exactly deserve it because of this NHL season, but he is amazing, the Olympics are over 2 full months away, baring another random injury he should be back in full form. Also, he's a winger, that helps him a lot.

wildone26*

therealdeal said:
The more I hear guys like MacKenzie and other reporters talk, the more I think that Nash will be on this team.

He doesn't exactly deserve it because of this NHL season, but he is amazing, the Olympics are over 2 full months away, baring another random injury he should be back in full form. Also, he's a winger, that helps him a lot.

Well if they name Nash to the team he had better produce well or there will be questions over whether he should have been included considering his long layoff with two seperate injuries this year. If he does get picked hopefully he plays with Thorton again. The one full games, and two half games he has played he has not even scored a point as well, and he is not really a 2-way player, but then again neither are Crosby and Spezza who seem to be getting more attention than Staal who is, so :dunno:.

joe_shannon_1983*

wildone26 said:

I think that they might end up picking a team based on hype, favouritism, marketing, and media/fan pressure. That may end up being their criteria for picking the team.

That is how you could end up seeing some of the players picked that end up being picked, all while other deserving but less hyped and less glamourous players get left off.

wildone26*

ferns8916 said:
I think that they might end up picking a team based on hype, favouritism, marketing, and media/fan pressure. That may end up being their criteria for picking the team.

That is how you could end up seeing some of the players picked that end up being picked, all while other deserving but less hyped and less glamourous players get left off.

Sadly you are very likely right. I dont recall past Team Canada's being picked that way, or atleast feeling they were. Sure there was a debatable choice or two, but you really got the feeling they tried their very best to pick a team on merit, who were the best players to fill the alloted spots, or who were the players that fit a specific "role" better than others. This years edition, especially with all the "newbies", relatively speaking that is to the elite game, from all rumours and hints, seems to be one that will based more on what is promotable, marketable, who has the right connections, and who has that "image" right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->