Name Your Olympic Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
russ4king said:
It amazes me why so many people are putting Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards in the lineup. The fact of the matter is none of them is having a great season. with the talent on that team, and the new rules (which should benefit all of them) only Richards is playing at a point a game pace. Not to mention that all three are one dimensional players.

Lecavalier should make it, but the others, I doubt.
That's not what Quinn was implying when he was in town last week. :)

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Garfield said:
I'm sorry but this is hilarious.

Tanguay & Bertuzzi grinders ?? Tanguay's as soft as hot butter and Bertuzzi doesn't know the word defence.

That's ridiculous. I'm sure Bertuzzi knows the word defence. Unfortunately, he thinks it's slang for "the fence".

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Sotnos said:
That's not what Quinn was implying when he was in town last week. :)

That's true, I think they'll all be there. But I also think that based on their play this season that no more than one or 2 of them should go. They havn't been bad, but there's been guys who have been a lot better so far

Instead of those chumps, I say we put Avery, Tucker, and Barnaby as our third line. :bow:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lecavalier Sakic Iginla
Gagne Spezza Heatley
Bertuzzi Richards St Louis
Smyth Thornton Marleau
Staal

Niedermayer Pronger
Redden Blake
Regher McCabe
Phaneuf

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

Captain Jerome Iginla
Assistant Joe Sakic
Assistant Scott Niedermayer
Assistant Rob Blake

My team Canada.

ZadorovNJD*

I don't really care as long as Brodeur is the #1 and Bertuzzi watches on TV.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If I were picking the team...

Iginla/Sakic/Gagne
Crosby/Spezza/Heatley
Draper/Doan/Smyth
Thornton/Lecavlier/Richards
Spare - Nash

Blake/Foote
Niedermeyer/Reghier
Pronger/Redden
Spare - Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Theodore
Luongo

My explanation for some of the choices.

Crosby and Thornton over Stall and St. Louie.
If you base the team selection on performance to date, Stall clearly gets the call. However, Stall brings a lot of the same qualities that Thornton brings...and at this point, I'd take Thornton over Stall and Thornton also has more international experience than Stall.

On the big ice surface, Crosby's speed, agility and tenacity will be a key asset. I think that Crosby's explosiveness and enthusiasm will benefit the team sort of like Theo Fleury did in previous Olympics. While the rest of the team takes time to re-learn to play on the international ice and get going, Crosby's natural ability will kick in right away like Fleury's did and give our team a fighting chance in the early goings. I think that Crosby will be better in this regard and faster than St. Louis, who hasn't been as dynamic as during his MVP season.

Also, Crosby's shootout prowse will be more important than Stall's or St. Louis'.

Nash over Bertuzzi and Stall
Nash doesn't really belong there based on this season and I think that it will be a while before he gets going but I would prefer him over Big Bert since Nash's shown that he fits in very well with Thornton. Also, Bert has not shown that he can play at this level, on the Interanational ice, let alone shown that he can excell in the new NHL so far.

Nash is more of a goal scorer while Stall is more of a all around player. We need more snipers on this squad since most top players for Canada are centres or converted centres who are more set up oriented.

J-Bo over Jovocop and McCabe
Although he hasn't shown it this year, JBo has shown at the last World Cup that he could be better than most of the defensemen listed here and certainly better than Jovocop who was mistake prone at that tournament.

I'm not sure McCabe has enough natural talent to quickly learn to play on the international ice at this level of play. He's scored a lot of points in the new NHL but at least in my mind, verdict is still out on him and he's more one dimensional than all the others listed here.

JBO doesn't score alot yet, but he's a better defender than the two listed here and he's more all around. Also, this would be key for the next Olympics to have a young guy like JBO get some experience. You might argue Phaneuf but as good as Phaneuf is, he's still very green and has shown that he can compete at this level on the Olympic ice...and frankly, JBo is a better all around defenseman at this point.

Theodore and Luongo over Joseph

As good as Joseph has been this year, he's always struggled when put on the high pressure, must win situation. Sorry to say because he's a super guy but Joseph's just not a winner. He blew it at the '96 World cup, he blew it at Salt Lake City and he's blown it on lesser stages during his NHL career. There are also bitter feelings between Joseph and Quinn and the rest of the coaching staff no matter who denies it.

Theodore has won in internation tournaments before. I believe he was the last Canadian goalie to win the Gold at WJC before last year's all star squad.

Same for Luongo. Although he's only won a Silver on a favoured team at WJC, he's learned how to win and has won Gold at World Championships and proved that he can handle the pressure at last year's World Cup as well.

So there it is. My team if I were Wayne Gretzky.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
G: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Marty Turco
Injury Replacement: Curtis Joseph
D: Rob Blake, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Ed Jovanovski, Wade Redden, Robyn Regehr, Dion Phaneuf
Injury Replacement: Bryan McCabe
F: Simon Gagne, Joe Thornton, Rick Nash, Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan, Patrick Marleau
Injury Replacement: Eric Staal

Edit: I'm surprise no one has Shanahan on their roster. He has lots of goals this year

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
bert said:
Captain Jerome Iginla
Assistant Joe Sakic

I hate to burst your bubble, but Sakic will be captain if Lemieux doesnt play....Jaromes time will come, dont worry..

oh and even though i dont like the guy that much, Bryan McCabe deserves a spot on the roster, even if it is only as 7th dman.

wildone26*

Nash-Thorton-Gagne
Heatley-Spezza-Iginla
Richards-LeCavalier-Sakic
Smyth-Lemieux-Draper

Spares: St. Louis, Bertuzzi, Tanguay, Marleau, Staal

Pronger-Niedermayer
Foote-Blake
Redden-Jovanovski

Spares: McCabe, Haanan, Rhegher

Luongo #1
Brodeur #2
Theodore #3

My first so-called spare is the 13th forward, 7th defenceman, or even 8th defenceman if they go with only 12 forwards. After that they are in order if there are injuries.

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
barfy2000 said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but Sakic will be captain if Lemieux doesnt play....Jaromes time will come, dont worry..

oh and even though i dont like the guy that much, Bryan McCabe deserves a spot on the roster, even if it is only as 7th dman.

yeah thats what I think to, hands down in Mario does feel he can play by the time feb. comes around, but if hes not playing he will decide tho after he gets healthy from his heart problem thing, but he hasent made any decison yet tho, Gretz said today they are gonna meet with Mario and crew tomorow and probably know more then, but yeah Joey Sakic wears the C, Buranby Joe :D

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
bert said:
Lecavalier Sakic Iginla
Gagne Spezza Heatley
Bertuzzi Richards St Louis
Smyth Thornton Marleau
Staal

Niedermayer Pronger
Redden Blake
Regher McCabe
Phaneuf

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

Captain Jerome Iginla
Assistant Joe Sakic
Assistant Scott Niedermayer
Assistant Rob Blake

My team Canada.

Sakic, Niedermayer, Blake, Pronger, Smyth,or Foote should all be the captain over Iggy.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Tanguay-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Thornton-Doan
Draper-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Smyth-Richards-Heatley
Crosby

Pronger-Blake
Niedermayer-Foote
Redden-Regehr
Jovanovski

Broduer
Joseph
Luongo

Iginla for Mayor

Sep 7, 2005
Nash, Draper, Maltby, and Peca have no right having their names mentioned here.... unless Nash comes back from his injury and scores 4 goals a game until olympics... then maybe... team should be this:

Tanguay- Sakic- Iggy
Gagne- Thorton- Doan
Smyth- Spezza- Heatley
Lecavalier- Richards- St. Louis (this line, although ont performing that well this year, has amazing chemistry... plus they seem to have a winning history together)

Extras should be LW- Kariya , C Marleau, Staal RW- Bertuzzi....

Defense should be:

Foote- Blake
Pronger- Neidermayer
Redden- Regher

Extras should be Jovo and McCabe

Goalies should be:

Brodeur
Luongo
Joseph (he has earned it this year)

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
I expect the team to look something like this:
Simon Gagne-Joe Sakic-Jarome Iginla
Rick Nash-Joe Thornton-Dany Heatley
Brad Richards-Vincent Lecavalier-Martin St. Louis
Todd Bertuzzi-Kris Draper-Shane Doan
13th Forward: Sidney Crosby

Chris Pronger-Scott Niedermayer
Rob Blake-Wade Redden
Ed Jovanovski-Robyn Regehr
7th Defenseman: Adam Foote

#1 Goalie- Martin Brodeur
#2 Goalie- Roberto Luongo
#3 Goalie- Curtis Joseph

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
I am in agreement that Marty, Vinny and Richards should stay together as on Olympic line.

Gagne Sakic Iginla is a popular choice for the first line and few can disagree with that.

Mario should do ala Stevie Y. And step down from the team.

That leaves 2 forward lines to be filled.

Thornton and Spezza should be the other 2 centres with Staal as the 13th

Gagne Sakic Iginla
Smyth Thornton Bertuzzi*
Kairya Spezza Heatley
Marty Vinny Richards

Staal

* couldn’t think of anyone else(Ryder possibly but his chances are slim, 2010 mark it down :) )

Spezza and Heatley both deserve to be on the team and playing on the same line.

D and the goalies seem pretty well covered.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Simon Gagné - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Rick Nash - Jason Spezza - Dany Heatley
Vincent Lecavalier - Brad Richards - Martin St-Louis
Eric Staal - Joe Thornton - Patrick Marleau
13th Forward: Sidney Crosby

Scott Niedermayer - Bryan McCabe
Wade Redden - Rob Blake
Chris Pronger - Dion Phaneuf
7th Defenseman: Jay Bouwmeester

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Curtis Joseph

If Rick Nash is still not healthy, add Alex Tanguay or Paul Kariya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->