Name the Olympic Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Wow are you actually serious, Doan brings much more to the team then Tanguay

Such as? Tell me what he brings to the table that 10 other players basically already on the team don't. Please. Enlighten me.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
What it will be:

Bertuzzi - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Gagne
Lemieux - Lecavalier - Richards
Smyth - Yzerman - Heatley
*Maltby - Draper*

Pronger - Niedermayer
Blake - Redden
Jovanovski - Foote
*Bouwmeester*

Brodeur
Luongo
*Theodore*

What it should be:

Bertuzzi - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Gagne
Tanguay - Doan - Richards
Lemieux - Lecavalier - St. Louis
*Primeau/Draper/Peca (etc) - Kariya*

Pronger - Niedermayer
Blake - Foote
Redden - Jovo
*Hannan*

Brodeur
Luongo
*Theodore*

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
monster_bertuzzi said:
Listen Gagne has a great chance to make the squad and he's a good 2-way player. But to say he's a ''lock'' is pretty far-fetched. I expect big things from him this year with Forsberg, but if he doesn't produce - he doesn't deserve to make team Canada, my team.

he's been on every team canada since salt lake... what has he done to lose his position? the Gagne-Thornton-Nash line was the best line at the WC's this year...

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hey guys,

What do you think the chances are of Crosby making the team? If he plays well to start the season, I think they would want him there, thinking that he will be their future and for him to gain some experience playing with all these stars at such a high level.
Granted, if he has a slow start, he likely won't be there, but I am surprised he hasnt been mentioned here....

What do you think?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
the squared circle said:
Hey guys,

What do you think the chances are of Crosby making the team? If he plays well to start the season, I think they would want him there, thinking that he will be their future and for him to gain some experience playing with all these stars at such a high level.
Granted, if he has a slow start, he likely won't be there, but I am surprised he hasnt been mentioned here....

What do you think?
I think that this post is almost as silly as the one where people thought Crosby would play at the world champs :)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lemieux. Sakic. Iginla
Bertuzzi. Lecavalier. Heatley
Gagne. Thornton. Nash
Smyth. Richards. St. Louis

Niedermayer. Foote
Pronger. Jovanovski
Redden. Blake

Brodeur. Luongo

Spares: Theodore, Regehr, Kariya, Yzerman.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
the squared circle said:
Hey guys,

What do you think?

i think if you're expecting an 18-year old to make the most stacked international depth chart in the world... you are expecting too much from the kid. he's a rookie... keep it in perspective.

XDC-RES

Root for the Laundry
Aug 29, 2005
Halifax, Nova Scotia
mattihp said:
I think that this post is almost as silly as the one where people thought Crosby would play at the world champs :)

It has been mentioned. I have no link to back this up, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that he could get consideration.

Do I think he should be on the team? - probably not

COULD he be on it? - wierder things have happened......such as belittling someone for raising a not-too-far-fetched point.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
My Canadian Dream Team

Bertuzzi Thornton Nash
Lemieux Sakic Iginla
Richards Lecavalier Heatley
Gagne Draper St. Louis

Niedermayer Foote
Pronger Jovanovski
Redden Blake

Brodeur Luongo

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
dakose said:
Where is the leadership on D? No Hatcher or Leetch? Leetch, regardless of age is the best US defenseman in the NHL. And how bout down the center? You need some experience. I think there is enough room to put in Weight, Hatcher, Leetch, Modano, Tkachuk and Roenick. Why do people think they are so ineffective?

Agreed. Hull, Amonte and Chelios won't or shouldn't be there anymore amongst the old guard but I expect most of the guys you mention above to be there. Modano and Hatcher need to rebound a bit though. Leetch, Tkachuk and Roenick were all still great players when we last saw them.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Regarding Crosby: I don't think its silly. If he starts off strong, scoring with Lemieux, why wouldn't they want him to play on Lemieux's line in the Olympics? I realize he is a rookie, however he is being billed as a superstar in waiting...

Also, Lindros played for team Canada in the Canada Cup before he played in the NHL right?

I don't think its too far fetched.

XDC-RES

Root for the Laundry
Aug 29, 2005
Halifax, Nova Scotia
the squared circle said:
Regarding Crosby: I don't think its silly. If he starts off strong, scoring with Lemieux, why wouldn't they want him to play on Lemieux's line in the Olympics? I realize he is a rookie, however he is being billed as a superstar in waiting...

Also, Lindros played for team Canada in the Canada Cup before he played in the NHL right?

I don't think its too far fetched.

Exactly.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Crosby would have to make this team with his play. I really doubt they would bring him along just because he's a future. That's what the World Championships/World Cup are for. The Olympics are the big show, and every member of the team should have to play their way on to it.

If Crosby is as good as they say he is, who knows, he could make it on as an extra

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
roshiajin said:
Listen, if you don't know what you're talking about it, avoid the subject. Making up stories about hockey players is pointless.

So. He accepted to play for Russia in 2002 not because of some medal, but because when he was little, his idol was Vladislav Tretiak. Khabibulin's dream had always been to win the gold medal at the Olympics, that's why he will never say "no" if he's named to Team Russia.

Now, Khabibulin expressed his desire to play at the Olympics already around a year ago.

The only question is : will he be invited? :help:
Maybe I mixed up some things, maybe a reporter told some crap HE didn't know about, but I remember having heard something of {Khabibulin, 2002, get gold medal from 1992 back}.

Another question then is: Why didn't he play in 1998 or at the 2004 World Cup ? Was he injured...?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
MAF said:
Maybe I mixed up some things, maybe a reporter told some crap HE didn't know about, but I remember having heard something of {Khabibulin, 2002, get gold medal from 1992 back}.

Another question then is: Why didn't he play in 1998 or at the 2004 World Cup ? Was he injured...?
He didnt want to play for Russia.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
In 98 he didn't want to play because of what happend in 92. I remember him saying how hard it was to watch the Olympics on TV. In 2004 he didn't want to play because of argues with the federation and because Tikhonov was part of the coaching staff. As you probably know he was not the only one saying no to the national team for the world cup... Many had issues with the federation. If healthy, we can expect him next year no doubt about it! GO FOR GOLD!!!

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
mattihp said:
Because they play the best on the national team?
This can't be the reason, otherwise Afinogenov would be THE lock for the first line since he has outplayed Suchinsky, Kharitonov and almost everyone else on the team in all the last three competition he took part with the national team (SLC Olympics, WC, WChamps).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
helicecopter said:
This can't be the reason, otherwise Afinogenov would be THE lock for the first line since he has outplayed Suchinsky, Kharitonov and almost everyone else on the team in all the last three competition he took part with the national team (SLC Olympics, WC, WChamps).
But Afinogenov has no hands.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
helicecopter said:
And in fact i would never place him on the first line, but even with his limited finishing skills he still did definitely better than Suchinsky and Kharitonov.
Afinogenov outplayed Sushinsky in ONE world champs.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
mattihp said:
Afinogenov outplayed Sushinsky in ONE world champs.
Which is to say he outplayed him the only time i saw them playing together on the national team. The fact Suchinsky was not good enough to play at the Olympics and World Cup should not be used to his advantage i think..

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
Jester said:
i think if you're expecting an 18-year old to make the most stacked international depth chart in the world... you are expecting too much from the kid. he's a rookie... keep it in perspective.

Wasn't Ilya Kovalchuk the same age as Crosby when he played in the last Olympics?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
12# Peter Bondra said:
Russia wasnt as deep.

And Kovalchuk had a great rookie season but Russia just isnt as deep as Canada.
The main thing is that Russia wasn't too deep, but also, Kovalchuk had more than one season of playing with men under his belt.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
helicecopter said:

Huu?? SU didn't play in either of the events you mentioned.... And he is a hands down better player than Mad Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad